New to me 2002 Subaru WRX.. advice wanted! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

detrails01 is an unknown
Hey Fidrat. I have a set of front cusco end links 02-07 wrx/sti brand new i picked up from rallysportdirect.com. I decided to purchase a sway bar kit instead so these new end links will be collecting
dust soon. Theyre basically the stock design only a lot stronger. I'm looking to just get rid of them at this point so if youre interested, id only want shipping for them. (proly around 10,15 bucks) I can post pics if youd like.

Let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Not entirely true Fidrat
The only issue with a Short-Ram.
The only issue? How about the MAF screwing with the ecu when the tube from the short-ram is too long too short or just different. A re-flash will solve this but what about the MAF its self?

Sometimes the air filter that comes with the short ram is over oiled or the owner over oils it themselves when they clean and re-oil the filter. (I've made that mistake myself) Sometimes this puts an oil film on the bulb in the MAF. (the thing that looks like a upside down paper match) The car will have jerky acceleration from a low rpm if it is dirty.

It can be easily cleaned off with non-chlorinated brake cleaner or MAF cleaning spray.(same thing) Spray it until the bulb is shinny. Don't drop it as it is very expensive.

Cobb is a good company that does a lot of research before putting a product on the market so they probably got the distance from the filter to the MAF right, as well as other companies that make intakes specifically for our cars.

The problem lies in the compulsion of the "Johnny ricer boys" to Mod the first thing they can get their grubby little hands on without doing one ounce of research. This is usually the intake and the BOV. They grab some no-name garbage or universal piece and slap it on their cars and wonder why it won't run right.

So to recommend thees as a first mod on the 02-07 WRX is not only wrong, It's BLASPHEMY!!! Plus it adds about as much horsepower as deer whistles.

PS. detrails01 PMed.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#18 Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrails01 View Post
Hey Fidrat. I have a set of front cusco end links 02-07 wrx/sti brand new i picked up from rallysportdirect.com. I decided to purchase a sway bar kit instead so these new end links will be collecting
dust soon. Theyre basically the stock design only a lot stronger. I'm looking to just get rid of them at this point so if youre interested, id only want shipping for them. (proly around 10,15 bucks) I can post pics if youd like.

Let me know.
I'll take em off your hands.
#19 Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

EPA H8R is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
The only issue? How about the MAF screwing with the ecu when the tube from the short-ram is too long too short or just different. A re-flash will solve this but what about the MAF its self?

Sometimes the air filter that comes with the short ram is over oiled or the owner over oils it themselves when they clean and re-oil the filter. (I've made that mistake myself) Sometimes this puts an oil film on the bulb in the MAF. (the thing that looks like a upside down paper match) The car will have jerky acceleration from a low rpm if it is dirty.

It can be easily cleaned off with non-chlorinated brake cleaner or MAF cleaning spray.(same thing) Spray it until the bulb is shinny. Don't drop it as it is very expensive.

Cobb is a good company that does a lot of research before putting a product on the market so they probably got the distance from the filter to the MAF right, as well as other companies that make intakes specifically for our cars.

The problem lies in the compulsion of the "Johnny ricer boys" to Mod the first thing they can get their grubby little hands on without doing one ounce of research. This is usually the intake and the BOV. They grab some no-name garbage or universal piece and slap it on their cars and wonder why it won't run right.

So to recommend thees as a first mod on the 02-07 WRX is not only wrong, It's BLASPHEMY!!! Plus it adds about as much horsepower as deer whistles.

PS. detrails01 PMed.
. I like how that was worded

2002 Subaru WRX 5 speed
#20 Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post

PS. detrails01 PMed.

I never said an oiled filter. Dryflow > Oiled
And anybody that buys the WRONG brand of intake without research deserves the worst.

99% of the time, if the MAF is in the stock location, there will not be any problems.

Glad we're on the same page.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#21 Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

The Cobb SF Short Ram Intake and Cobb Intake Air Box comes with an oiled filter. and an aluminum box. Aluminum conducts heat and makes a poor insulator.

They also recommend you keep the intake silencer. I do not.

Some say you can get a cool sound with this intake. I can't see how if it uses the same intake silencer. Unless the buzzing of metal on metal sounds cool. I guess you could use rubber washers on all the nuts and bolts to prevent this.

Aluminum also conducts sound so maybe this is true.

The only saving grace with this intake is it uses the stock intake snorkel so you will get COLD air. If put in the same position as the OP I would do the same thing minus the silencer plus a tune. Oh, and that kids head would be in the toilet.

Maybe EPA H8R can give us a video to show us what it looks and sounds like

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#22 Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh, I didn't realize ppl couldn't think "outside the box" and learn that oiled doesn't work as well as one would think.

What is the piping on a CAI made of?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#23 Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Actually, I've never liked the oiled air filter thing. It always made me nervous. It's good to know they make a dryflow filter for a CAI. It's the oiled filter that kept my brother from getting a CAI for his 2007 MazdaSpeed3. He will be glad to hear this.

Believe me, I know all too well the woes of an oiled air filter. I only brought it up because the Cobb kit comes with one.

The pipe is made of high temperature plastic composite. That is what the box should be made of instead of aluminum.