New to me 2002 Subaru WRX.. advice wanted! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

EPA H8R is an unknown
New to me 2002 Subaru WRX.. advice wanted!

Hey all, new to the whole turbo'd gas engine.. built a couple old mechanical Cummins so I understand a bit about fuel/air and turbos, but I'm not gonna pretend this car don't stump me because of the computer controlled stuff.

Anyway, I picked up a 2002 Subaru WRX, 165,000 miles with a 5 speed stick shift. Came with a 3 owner carfax, very very clean, and a stack of receipts from all maintenance and work done by the dealer. Car seems in very good condition, I've been driving it about 500 miles and haven't had a problem. Previous owner had dealer replace clutch, turbo, cat, axles, brakes, valve cover gaskets, water pump, radiator hoses and lines, and other stuff about 10k miles ago.

I recently replaced front/rear diff, transmission/transfer case, and engine oils so I know where I stand. No check engine lights, passed inspection easy.

This leads me to the reason I'm posting. Been doing some reading on here, so I figured I'd make an account to ask some questions. The previous owner let his son drive the car for all of a month before I got it, and in those 29 days a Fujita short ram intake and GReddy BOV made their way onto the car.. other than that it is ALL OEM parts. The first thing I had to do was soften the BOV as it wasn't opening, and forcing the air backwards causing turbo flutter. It is set up VTA, I at least have it adjusted where its working properly now. These two upgrades seem to be way out-of-order from what I've read. Is it safe to leave them on? Should I find stock parts and put them back on? This is my DD going to work, school, toting the wife and 3 kids around.. been there done that with go-fasters, I just want a nice reliable fun ride. The only thing I actually want on the car is exhaust, which I just ordered CNT V2 catback after reading some good reviews.. hope its quality.

Sorry for the long post, just getting that background info in and hopefully everything you need to know to get me an answer. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Find stock parts. That intake requires tuning in order to have on the ar.

CNT is not made of the material the manufacturer claims it is and they do rust, but considering where you live it won't be as pressing of an issue.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'll second on the stock parts. Plus with the mileage, I'd stay away from any mods. Keep it clean and running good... Good luck

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

EPA H8R is an unknown
Good deal, at least I'm thinking on the right track. Any ideas where I could get the stock setup? I've been Google-ing and on Ebay but I haven't found anything yet, except factory direct that'll run me almost $500 just for the intake stuff. No junk yards anywhere near me either

Is there a better or less aggressive 'aftermarket' setup I can get away with? Or a tuner to help the computer adjust? I've read that the Cobb Accessport V2 can help even the stock setup run better, and correct irregularities

2002 Subaru WRX 5 speed
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

atech34 is an unknown
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the 02 wrx does not need a tune for the intake nor will it need it for the exhaust?

Just trying to make an easy search easy instead of buying stock parts that may not be needed.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Ditch the BOV and the Intake for stock parts. Both are useless noise makers that cause nothing but trouble. Short ram intakes draw HOT air from under the hood. Not good. It kind of defeats the purpose of a intercooler. I really wish these punk-assed kids would stop treating these cars like Hondas. I really wish I could RAM hot air into my turbo. That sounds like a great idea...NOT

I'm sure if you poke around on enough forums you will find the parts you need CHEAP! Come on guys..I know someone here has the parts this guy is looking for just lying around collecting dust.

I would go to the previous owners son and hold his head in the toilet until he comes up with the stock parts.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
My stock bpv is collecting dust

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 06:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not entirely true Fidrat

COBB's Intake can be fit into their "box", which helps reduce intake heat. The only issue with a Short-Ram

CAI's have their disadvantages as well. Throttle response and water issues.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

EPA H8R is an unknown
I picked up a pre-owned but NIB Cobb SF Short Ram Intake and Cobb Intake Air Box for $100, figured that was a good deal! It should work well with the Cobb Accessport I just ordered too. Not really interested in performance gains, but I like that it can read so many things in real-time, pull codes, and go ahead and tune the car to work specifically with that intake.

Might not be stock parts, but it should hopefully work well, yes?

2002 Subaru WRX 5 speed
post #10 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It will be fine.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That's a good intake.
See if man show will part with that bpv for a good price and yer set.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #12 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Is it any better than a stock airbox with a drop-in K&N and a velocity stack in the fender with the stock snorkus feeding COLD air from the outside the car into the fender?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

EPA H8R is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
That's a good intake.
See if man show will part with that bpv for a good price and yer set.
Got one from the guy down the road, along with the Cobb intake! Forgot to mention that. Thanks for the advice though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Is it any better than a stock airbox with a drop-in K&N and a velocity stack in the fender with the stock snorkus feeding COLD air from the outside the car into the fender?
Ha no I know it's probably not THAT effective, but I meant better than that weird Fujita thing thats on there now.

2002 Subaru WRX 5 speed
post #14 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

I'd still stick that kids head in the toilet.

post #15 of 23 Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

EPA H8R is an unknown
If it wasn't a two hour trip up there.. I'd make sure the blue cleaner made it in the toilet too!

2002 Subaru WRX 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement