New guy looking to buy. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

J Dog is an unknown
New guy looking to buy.

Hey guys. I've been reading over a lot of threads. And this is my first post. I'm on the look out to buy a wrx right now. I'm gonna try my best to get an sti but we will see. From what I've read I should be looking at 04-07's and 09+ I understand you guys say buy as close to stock as possible but what if it has a few mods? What mods should I really look out for and which ones are ok? What should I really look for when checking out one of these cars as far as the engine. I've never personally owned a turbo vehicle let alone an awd and I don't really know what id be looking for under the hood. I'm coming from a pontiac g6 2.4L. I'm not new to the car world at all just never been able to afford anything to brag about. I just want something faster and more fun to drive. And sti's have been one of my favorite cars since I saw the 04's for the first time almost 9 years ago. These and the old body EVO have been my two favorite cars since then. But I've always had a thing more for the sti. It's just a sexy car lol. What miles should I be looking for that I should stay away from? Should an sti with 100k still run like a champ for years or should I try to find under 100k? And when is modded to modded to risk buying. For example...http://m.autotrader.com/(S(ggkip345j...2&id=323716961.....and this one dosnt say anything about being modded at all but no engine shots....http://m.autotrader.com/(S(ggkip345j...2&id=324142949 any help is much appreciated. And I can't wait to be apart of the community for real once I finally get one!

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Snowboarder2587 is an unknown
Hey man im on my phone so o can't see where you're from but I know there is a 2010 wrx for sale in Spartanburge, sc. It has a few mods but is mostly stick with less than 16k miles. I don't think you should worry too much about small mods (intakes, exhausts, and AP). Especially if its conv AP. They are pretty well know for safely adding power and torque. When people start doing custom tunes is where I would be a little more cautious. I was looking for a long time. Because they hold their value so well I decided to spend the extra $4k and get a new one that I know doesn't have any issues. Low interest rates helped good luck!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#3 Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cobb not conv

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#4 Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

J Dog is an unknown
im in florida. lol i used to be stationed in goose creek, SC though so i know the drive well...it would have to be a really awesome deal for me to make the 6 or so hour drive up lol how much is he asking?
#5 Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

nice I actually grew up in Mt. Pleasant and moved to gville 10 months ago. Pretty easy drive but if you drive up you wouldnt be able to drive both cars back

He is asking 25 which is a little high i think seeing as i paid 30 for mine new. I know he said the previous owner had a few mods put on. the first owner was a military guy and got shipped out after he bought it (thats what i was told). that's the reason for the low miles. Here is the link:

Cars for Sale: 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Spartanburg, SC 29316: Sedan Details - 324378685 - AutoTrader.com
#6 Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

spc2125 is an unknown
Mods decrease the price of the vehicle because it minimizes the selling market to specifically people who like aftermarket parts.

The first one is really high price. Although it has low miles it prob isnt worth spending more than $13500.
Same thing with the second one. Way too high priced.

How old are you? If your around 25 I say just get a brand new one. And then have it till like 40k -50k miles. And if you dont like it you can always sell it. And get most of your money, because these cars keep their value very well. Just make sure your have maintenance records and keep her clean.
#7 Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

J Dog is an unknown
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking about trying to lease a new one. But idk yet. I'm 23 but I'm pretty set in my career right now. But spending 25-30k for a vehicle is something I just can't do at the moment. Unless like I said I leased a new one. But as much as I want one I don't forsee me being able to get one at the moment bc I'm not going to buy a really high mileage car as my daily driver bc I put lots of miles on my cars bc I drive a bit one way to work so it adds up quick. And not necessarily a newer year but a lower mile wrx is still expensive. Im also looking into the mazdaspeed 3's bc even though its not AWD its still pushing the same HP on paper as the wrx its just FWD and I found an 08 with all the leather and everything. Only 50k miles for around 15k. So that's more along what I can afford at the moment. I want a wrx really bad but just a little out of my price range for what I want. And they're really hard to come by down here in Florida it seems unless your driving hours and hours to go see it. Then you using tanks of gas to look at cars you might not buy. Idk its all up in the air still. But thanks for the input and advice

#8 Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's no Subie but the next best thing for sure.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sure is. Being in Florida, the need for awd I'd less than say, myself or spc2125(Steven). That being the reason they are so rare down there. ( right Paul)
I love my soob and will probably be buying a newer on although a bunch of guys are trying to talk me into the switch to a speed. I don't really think that will happen though. Only because I live in pa.

Which ever you do decide to go with..... GL

.............CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

J Dog is an unknown
yeah not much need for awd since i dont have to worry about snow/ice but ive still always loved the sti's but gotta go with i can afford. down the road when i have more means financially then ill get exactly what i want.
#11 Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Who's talking you into a Speed? Those guys are funny

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I said trying Paul. I think I'll probably go with an 09sti.
To the op.- the speed is a great car, first I got a wrx. Next I will buy an STi. A lot of us started small than moved up.
Hope this helps you in your decision. There will always be an STi or wrx out there for you to buy when the time is right.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#13 Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

J Dog is an unknown
Re: New guy looking to buy.

Hey guys I know its been a long time since I've posted but I never ended up getting anything. I'm back in the market for real now. Lol.

Soon I'm going to look at a 05 white wrx with 66k. The asking price is just under 13k. It's all stock except. A big except the guy said when he got it the seals on the turbo were wearing so it was leaking a little bit of oil into the exhaust side of the turbo I think he said so it smoked a little. So he sent it to a performance shop or whatever and is getting the turbo replaced. The thing is he said its going to be a slightly bigger turbo...he said they will tune it for it bc I asked him that and the only other mod on the car is a BOV. Should I be very weary of the different turbo? And what key things should I be looking/listening/feeling for while driving it to make sure I'm not buying a problem down the road. From what I see its a good deal as far as mileage and all that but I don't want headaches in the future. It's at a dealership in Melbourne, fl no pics up yet but will have them up on Tuesday he said.

Thanks guys for any insight. :beer:

#14 Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

J Dog is an unknown
Re: New guy looking to buy.

Is there anyone willing to let me give them a call when I go look at this car to explain everything and see if its worth buying if I can? I'd really appreciate it bc I'd love to be apart of this community finally for real.

#15 Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'll be your huckleberry. PM'd you

It'd also be nice to see the paperwork from the shop. Asl osee about the warranty (if it transfers from the orig owner).

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3