New guy here WRX interested - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Exclamation New guy here WRX interested

hello ghost911 here,

im new and coming from the honda civic scene, and plan on going to the dark side with the wrx 2012. what i want to know and please give the honest opinion on this, do you guys 100% recommend getting a wrx 2012? and what are the pros and cons to this car, year and model? if this is not a good choice what year model is a better choice for future modding and more....

thanks for your support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Depends on what you want from the car.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yes, you'll be 100% happy... unless you develop a case of STi envy, in which case you'll be 75% happy (give or take). The 2012 WRX comes with a nice turbo (VF52) and has plenty of modding potential. The body styles are really cool too with the flared fenders and all. Are you looking at the sedan or the hatch?

There are really no significant cons to the 2012 as it's not the first model of the third generation (2008 was). The biggest con of any year WRX are the "weak" 5 speed transmissions. At stock power levels and when they're not abused, they're great, but add enough power and play around a little too much and they tend to snap (ask me how I know). The good news is that there are plenty of options for transmission upgrades. Your first mod should be tires.

Also, here's some light reading: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Yes, you'll be 100% happy... unless you develop a case of STi envy, in which case you'll be 75% happy (give or take). The 2012 WRX comes with a nice turbo (VF52) and has plenty of modding potential. The body styles are really cool too with the flared fenders and all. Are you looking at the sedan or the hatch?

There are really no significant cons to the 2012 as it's not the first model of the third generation (2008 was). The biggest con of any year WRX are the "weak" 5 speed transmissions. At stock power levels and when they're not abused, they're great, but add enough power and play around a little too much and they tend to snap (ask me how I know). The good news is that there are plenty of options for transmission upgrades. Your first mod should be tires.

Also, here's some light reading: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
really appreciate your help, how much is top notch transmission upgrade and is it worth the money? and im looking at the sedan

and ya i was told that the bottom end is the first thing to start modding if doing any other upgrades like boarding out and so forth.

and the wrx vs wrx sti, what exactly are the spec difference? better turbo? same chassis? is it a different motor or same motor with better turbo.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with any trans upgrades until yours breaks. You could get slightly or significnatly better sets of 5 or 6 gears. Most trans upgrades will set you back 2ish to 6ish grand, depending on what options you choose and labor and such.

The main differences are that the STi has a stronger 6 speed trans, DCCD (driver controlled center differential), Brembo brakes, slightly more performance (different block, turbo, top mount intercooler, and other misc. parts), and different aesthetic parts. The STi vs. WRX debate can get pretty intense, but both cars are great with similar modding potential. For example, my WRX has a built transmission and engine and is faster and stronger than many averagely-modded STis, but I spend an embarrassing amount of money getting to this point

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
HAHah i bet, cars are expensive.

how is the ground wires? like for instance, my civic 06 ground wires were 16gauge wires all around and i had to change out the gauge out to 4 and 0 gauge to be able to get the power i needed and they called it the big 3. one going from battery to chassis, one from alternator to the positive battery, and then tranny ground. and i have a 1000watt Rockford, 12" re 600 rms with a capacitor. will i need to upgrade the ground wires at all?

what i noticed about the site is that it really only talks about modding engine etc.. nothing about modding DIY inside of the car or electrical DIY. unless im just not seeing the site clearly.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ground wires are fine to run that with.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement