• 1 Post By Brockton
  • 1 Post By zdez
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-07-2014, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

H0bb1tM1ndTr1x is an unknown
New to Car Mods

So first off, these may not count as mods but for a newbie like me I'm assuming any changes from the whole stock setup is a mod. Feel free to correct me on that.

Anyway, I have posted my top 4 wants for upgrading my car from stock and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Firstly, I drive an '02 WRX wagon just so you know what I'm working with, and here's what I'd like to add to her.

-A nice touch panel to replace the current tuner/tape deck/cd player, which needs an AUX cable of course!

-HIDs if possible, was lurking through some of those threads and saw some people were not fond of HIDs in bug eyes.

-Keyless entry/start. I've seen some have a LCD screen which is cool but not necessary. Do they make ones which come with smartphone apps? That would certainly decrease the size of my key ring as I will still carry the key with me of course.

-I'd like to start considering a nice sound system to install. I'm not looking to wake the neighbors, or cause orgasms, so nothing crazy. Just a solid audio experience.

Thanks for any and all advice on this subject and hopefully you'll teach me a thing or two.

EDIT: While I'd like to say cost isn't a problem, I'm not a car nut or anything. Feel free to post something reasonable or giving low/high price options is just as good. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Crutchfield.com for all your audio needs, they set you up for success there. For what you want, you can get some premium door speakers and a head unit and a powered sub. I had a 12 inch powered sub from rockford fosgate, 300 on crutchfield, for some reason amazon has it for 200 though. It was enough to make your rearview mirror shake so bad you couldn't see anything out of it, if you wanted it that high.
14WRX likes this.
#3 Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

zdez is an unknown
Garage
Crutchfield is definitely the way to go. I replaced all four door speakers in my 02 wagon and installed a new head unit all for around $250. However, the head unit I installed was not a touchscreen so you'll definitely be looking at a price increase there. Crutchfield gives you all the adapters and spacers that you will need. I put 6 1/2 inch Sony speakers in my front doors (and upgrade from the 5 1/4 inch stock speaker) and crutchfield made it much easier by including the spacer I would need to accompany the larger magnet on the speaker as well as quick connect wire harnesses which eliminated any need to solder. As far as your other mods, check subiemods.com for HID lighting kits (which will include everything you'll need to install them yourself). As for the keyless entry I do not know, however I know it wasn't on your list but Hella horns are a great improvement over stock horns as well as the over-all look of the car for around $70. Good luck!
14WRX likes this.
#4 Old 03-09-2014, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Retrofit your headlights or don't even bother with HIDs on a bugeye.
Brockton likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
I agree Crutchfield is where I buy most of my items. Great customer service and the tech support is great if you need it. I tried out an under the seat sub and decided I didn't like it. I returned it no questions asked and then purchased my JL sub and Alpine Amp. I plan on buying my NAV headunit from them when I am ready.

There are some excellent touch screens out there for a decent price I think you will like.
#6 Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks a lot guys! Forgive my ignorance but what does turmic mean by retrofit my headlights? Would that be done via HID kit or is this something totally different?

I'm going to check after all those other suggestions, much appreciation.
#7 Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A "retrofit" is the process of installing HID capable projectors, cutoffs and lamp housings in a stock or OEM headlight housing. It usually means baking or heating your headlamps, removing the stock reflectors and installing an OEM HID projector assembly, Im not sure if there are any companies out there making drop in HID replacement Headlamps for bugeyes but The Retrofit Source Inc sells everything you would need to do it yourself.

/ not a plug/ they also have a service where you can mail them your headlight assemblies and they will do it for you for a charge.

hope that helps

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#8 Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Explained it perfectly, thank you!
#9 Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Yeah, you can't just buy a kit and use your stock headlights. Your only options are JDM HID headlights or an HID retrofit w/ HID projectors as described above.