New Car! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

chwplayer09 is an unknown
New Car!

Ok today i just picked up my first new car. I got a 07 WRX TR for 23,400 ....i love it. Granted i still need to get a little better at stick not smooth enough. I can wait till it is broken in. The guy at the dealer told me if i get their exhaust and intake it can add 25 hp is that bs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2006, 03:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
the exhaust, about 35-45 hps if you get the correct ones ... but i'd say dont touch the intake!
#3 Old 12-09-2006, 03:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jamo06TR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jamo06TR
The aftermarket parts subaru sells, do nothing for your car except enhace sound. But man, if its your first car thats a stick, this thing has enough power for you for a long time, youll have alot of fun with it!
#4 Old 12-09-2006, 04:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
dont go crazy with it intill you get used to that stick! a standard AWD is a lot diffrent that a standard FWD!
#5 Old 12-09-2006, 05:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX-One is an unknown
Definately get used to having a stick shift before you start adding ANY power. You don't want to grenade your transmission too soon. Plus, if you mess it up now, while you don't have any mods, you should be able to get full warranty service!!!!

-Ron
#6 Old 12-09-2006, 06:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ohh deff. I wasnt planning on doing anything to the car until late spring early summer. ONly thing im going to get is a BOV sounds bad ass. I was reading the topics on BOV's and i was thinkin about getting a TurboXS RFL. Yea and i havent really opened it up yet...still waiting till its broken in.
#7 Old 12-09-2006, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
If you must get a BOV before getting Engine Management or any other Mods got with APS

Everything is 10% off here http://www.boostbuddy.com/servlet/Detail?no=95

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#8 Old 12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Blzzrd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Blzzrd Send a message via MSN to Blzzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo06TR
The aftermarket parts subaru sells, do nothing for your car except enhace sound. But man, if its your first car thats a stick, this thing has enough power for you for a long time, youll have alot of fun with it!
Subaru aftermarket parts "DO" things for your car. They have outsourced to some of the higher quality aftermarket producers. The SPT Exhaust made by Bosal. The CAI made by HKS. The SPT power package is dyno proven to increase power without voiding any part of your warranty.
#9 Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
If you must get a BOV before getting Engine Management or any other Mods got with APS

Everything is 10% off here http://www.boostbuddy.com/servlet/Detail?no=95
whats can happen if i went with the rfl

also i heard the rfl is very loud is the step below just as loud?

(i read the newbie post and my sound doesnt work on comp sry if u guys are repeating yourselves)

*EDIT*
k sry i just read bov 101

now how much is engine management
and would this aps sound just like a bov?

also i kno im jumping ahead but what can i get done to my car without an engine management and not hurting my car, that will gain the most power

Last edited by Ian; 12-10-2006 at 08:36 PM.
#10 Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

nick4592 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to nick4592 Send a message via MSN to nick4592 Send a message via Yahoo to nick4592
The APS is a really good BOV and EM ranges in price from around 600-1000 bucks depending on what you get....I recommend TurboXS UTEC since you are in the begining stages of modding...then I would go with a Reflash

"Life's a bowl of punch so go ahead and Spike it!" -311
#11 Old 12-10-2006, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

well what can i do without getting an engine management. sry for my ignorance but will the aps make the same sound and everything? Do i need EM for that? Would i need an EM for a RFL? I again apologize for my ignorance, i just bought this car and i dont want to do anything i will regret or harm my car.
#12 Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
get EM first! i know you just got a brand new wrx and its a stick and its fast and you want it to sound cool and theres nothing wrong with that. but wouldnt you rather get em and then mod you car that way you know you safe rather than modding your car with a BOV and all these other after market parts that might harm your car more than they would help it without em? ..its just a thought. congrates on your new wrx, you will love it!
#13 Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Stop asking if you need engine management. You WANT engine management. It's so cheap, you have no excuse NOT to get it. The tactrix cable is like $85 shipped, and everything after that is absolutely free. As for the bov, buy it knowing that it is 105% non-functional. If it does ANYTHING to affect your car's performance, it will be in a negative way. It's up to you to decide if the sound is worth the money and the small safety/performance/reliability risks. And don't get an intake. If you want more sound, there are ways to mod the stock one. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but so far it seems like the stuff you want can only hurt you while the things you're avoiding can only help you...
#14 Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, well im still new at this. Can u show me some links for a decent engine management for some mods. I was talking to one of my buddies and he said go EM. So which one should i get if i plan on eventually get a front mount intercooler. Now if i were to get an EM can i put a Boost Controller on? (these mods are way into the future, nothing soon)

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but so far it seems like the stuff you want can only hurt you while the things you're avoiding can only help you...
no your 100% right, thanks, i needed that. lol

also...i will be getting an EM system. But for now what mods (if any) can i do without an EM. How about the cold air intake from the dealership?

Last edited by chwplayer09; 12-11-2006 at 11:04 AM.
#15 Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The most popular em solutions out there are: accesport, utec, ecutek, and open source. Open source tools is the cheapest option, hands down. All you need is the $85 cable and a laptop. It seems like you're avoiding em, but for $85, you really have no excuse but to get it now. It's one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods out there. I'll even give you step-by-step instructions:

1. Go to www.tactrix.com and purchase the cable that says "OpenPort for Subaru Drive-by-wire vehicles."
2. Visit www.openecu.org, click "downloads" on the left, and download ecuflash.
3. Read the enginuity faq: http://www.enginuity.org/about444.html. Scroll down to where it says "Q: How exactly do I download and flash my rom image?" It will tell you how to use ecuflash and download your rom image, as well as flash your ecu later on. (in step 7)
4. IMPORTANT: save your stock rom image in at least 3 places!
5. Visit www.plasmatize.com and register
6. Go to the home page, scroll down and click on the link that says "2006+ Modified." You'll see stage one and stage two maps that are set and ready to go already for your car. The maps are for 06 cars, but I don't believe there were any significant changes between years, so you should be fine using that. Stage 1 is for stock cars, and stage 2 is for those that have a turboback exhaust. Since you are stock (for now) download the stage 1 map.
7. Load the map with ecuflash.
8. Following the directions on the same section of the enginuity faq, reflash your ecu.

Other things you should know about open source tools:
1. It's called open source because it is being developed by enthusiasts for FREE. That's why all you need to purchase is the cable, and all the software is free.
2. There are a number of different programs you can use. There are programs that:

a. Read/write roms on the ecu. ECUFLASH
b. Edit roms. ENGINUITY
c. Datalog. ECUEXPLORER

You only really need type 1, or ecuflash. If you want to tune your car yourself, you can do so with enginuity (there are other options out there of course, but enginuity is amongst the most popular). Just be very careful, because if you don't know what you are doing, or you could seriouosly damage your car (and yourself).
3. Learn how to datalog with ecuexplorer. It's quite easy, and will help you troubleshoot your car and make sure that it is running well before/after mods.
4. Read, read, read! Learn as much as you can from this, and other subaru websites. Make sure you read the entire enginuity faq that I mentioned earlier. There is also a great engine management faq on this website. Read that.
5. You don't need/want a boost controller. Engine management wil manage boost for you.
6. Try looking for a local tuner that uses open source tools. Even if the closest one is hours away, it will be well worth the drive.

As far as the fmic, you won't benefit from it much unless you have a pretty big turbo. Take a look at the ssautochrome top mount intercooler on ebay instead if you're looking towards that direction. For $183 shipped it cannot be beat, and it has been proven to perform well.

As I said earlier, the intake is not worth it. The stock box works VERY well as is. Save that money and buy the tactrix cable instead.

Your year doesn't like to be modded much w/o em. With the 02/03 wrx, you could get away with quite a bit of mods w/o engine management, but the same cannot be said about your year. You may experience erratic boost spikes and other things if you are not careful. Most mods that are worth doing will require engine management. There is no way around that. Good thing I already solved that issue for you!