Subaru WRX Forum banner

New to this: Bought 2007 WRX: Stock eveything, except for high-intake filter...

906 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to this so forgive me for my ignorance, I'm learning as much as I can in a short amount of time.

I recently bought a (rebuilt status) 2007 WRX Sedan that is totally stock except for an after-market high-intake filter. It's after-market because it was cheaper for the seller to install that rather than stock.

I also went ahead and installed a Borla Hush cat-back exhaust, pretty much because they are cool and from my understanding is a good first mod.

My dilemma:

From what I've read, the high-intake filter is NOT a good mod to have until I have other mods that support it well (such as improved fuel injectors) and in fact can cause damage to my engine without these other mods.

Furthermore: I've noticed after installing the exhaust, notably worse performance than stock, which is also, from hat I've read, to be expected until I tune the car. I bought a Tactrix cable for this purpose, but haven't used it quite yet.

My questions is: should I replace the high-intake filter for a stock one until I make the necessary mods to support it, or can I tune the car in its current state to either prevent damage or get more power than I am currently getting? Also, should I absolutely be installing the proper gauges (boost, o2) in the car before flashing it at all? I am not interested in getting a lot of power here, I'd be happy with the same feel as stock even.

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
injectors i NOT something you need for an intake. whoever told you that is wrong. injectors are for fueling when you add a bigger turbo or change the type of fuel (race gas, e85, etc)

the amount of extra air that an aftermarket intake adds will never be enough to need new injectors.

all you need is a proper tune to even out your air/fuel ratios. there are no mods needed to support an aftermarket intake. it itself is a supporting mod for other things. it will cost you more for a stock intake than it will for a quick e-tune to make your car work safe.

cat backs are fine to install without a tune. its the DOWNPIPE that needs to be tuned. if you just got a cat-back, slap it on and enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.