New '06 STi owner. Ready to get started - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

mkimpflen is an unknown
New '06 STi owner. Ready to get started

I just purchased a 2006 STi. It has almost 81,000 miles on it so I'm not sure what kind of modifications it can handle. It appears to be stock, except for aftermarket wheels. This is going to be my DD and I won't be racing it, but I still want to enjoy it to the fullest.

That being said, here are the modifications I was considering to get started. Any feedback would be great to have.

-silencer delete
-AP
-blow-off/recirculate valve (although I've read about issues this causes with the MAV)
-Borla Touring CBE

I'd also like to find a trunk lid from a white wrx so that I can replace the wing.

I've only really owned and worked on trucks in the past and done OTHV modifications, so I am completely open to some seasoned opinions. This STi is my dream car and I want it to last as long as possible..... plus I really can't afford a new one anytime soon anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

RINGY91 is an unknown
whats going on? welcome to the forums.

Id say go AP down pipe and CBE and your golden well in my eyes if you not gonna race go for a lil power n sound. post up pics when you can I love white 06 STI's if I could id get one but id keep the big wing and the one on the rear windshield too ahah.

last note make sure to wave to other subies and ask any on these forums people are very nice and knowledgeable.
#3 Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Great choice with the hawkeye but, Im bias. All those mods sound like a good start. I wouldnt worry about the bpv right now.I would reccomend Ap first! That way you can go straight to stage 1 and have a platform to tune for future mods with. Welcome to the fam!!!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

mkimpflen is an unknown
#5 Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I agree with the above. Skip the BOV... BPVs are the way to go.

Here's a nice resource if you haven't already seen it since you're interested in modding: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Also, keep up on maintenance and it should last well over 100k. Your 90k and 105k are approaching, so if you're anything like me, then you should probably start planning: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

Welcome!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#6 Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

mkimpflen is an unknown
Thanks for the feedback. I did the silencer delete this past weekend and I can definately hear the turbo spooling up now. I've been digging through the Unabomber's Manifesto and after reading up on everything. It definately seems like you're right and the BOV is far more trouble than it's worth. BPV sounds like the far better option.
Does anyone have any good estimate on how many miles I can hope for out of the car as long as I keep up on the maintenance?
#7 Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

mkimpflen is an unknown
Man Show, Thanks for the maintenance schedule! I was already planning on some of the inspections and replacements, but there were others in there that I hadnt thought of.

Also, thanks to everyone for the welcome! Good to be here.
#8 Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
All depends how you drive it. What mods you do etc. how many miles to expect is a loaded question

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkimpflen View Post
Man Show, Thanks for the maintenance schedule!
No prob! I have that thing in my Favorites and I reference it all the time

Also, since you're fairly local, if you're not too busy on May 26th, you should swing by Walkersville, MD... a neighbor of mine is organizing a BBQ/car meet of sorts. There's a thread somewhere on this forum with all the details if you're interested.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)

« New Guy | Mbc?