Need some help with my WRX - merged - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
So basically for optimal power I should get the AP, Get a down pipe and get the borla hush exhaust???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
it gives the gains it says it does unlike almost every other mod I've seen advertise HP gains. I think he's just pointing out that 33hp ain't as big as you think it is.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#33 Old 02-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post
So basically for optimal power I should get the AP, Get a down pipe and get the borla hush exhaust???
worked for me The borla hush ain't exactly a power mod but I still recommend it.

#34 Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Just keep in mind that one can't just add up mod HP claims and think that they are getting the entire amount.

Lets say for fun,

AP = 35
Exhaust = 15
intake = 20

What ever the actual numbers may be for certain company claims just becuase they all claim those gains you will not net 70 hp.. Some of those numbers overlap if you will..

My advise is to as most people say.. Jump on the AP.. Then check out some sound clips and find an exhaust you like along with the "bling" that you want to add..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#35 Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
You did those exact modifications? What kind of power increase did you get?
#36 Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah, I mean I dont really mind if im not getting exactly 70 horse power (using your number for example) I just dont want to get a product or a few products the math adds up to 70 and i only get 30...I want it to be reasonablly close to the math other wise I dont find it to be too worth it. But yeah so far I think im 100% interested in that AP as well as the Borla Hush exhaust I guess I just need to find a down pipe and then I think im done modding my car for a while, one thing that was interesting that a friend was saying was that the stock wrx only has like 12 or 13 boost on the turbo supposedly you could up it to like 20 with out any problems idk if thats true or even how to do it or how much it would cost to have done but I think for now im sticking to, COBB AP, Down Pipe, Borla Hush.
#37 Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Actually heres a question that came into my mind these downpipes are acutally not to expensive but I realized that every single one is catless and I dont know where ya'll are from but to have a catless down pipe in new jersey is illegal do they make after market down pipes that have cats or does that like defeat the purpose of getting a new down pipe?
#38 Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Actually heres a question that came into my mind these downpipes are acutally not to expensive but I realized that every single one is catless and I dont know where ya'll are from but to have a catless down pipe in new jersey is illegal do they make after market down pipes that have cats or does that like defeat the purpose of getting a new down pipe?
#39 Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Most have a choice when you buy them. Catted are a little more but thats cause of putting the cat in them. And believe it or not there is NOT much difference in catted vs. catless unless you are pushing big numbers and trying to get the last bit out of the setup, aside from the smell difference and a little noise with some.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#40 Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You can up the boost throug tuning the car. Its best to change out the BCS though, the facotory one is only 2 port, where as perrin and a couple others make a 3 port. Im not certain about the factory fuel setup though for pushing that much. I answered your downpipe question in your other post.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#41 Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Cats for the most part fairly free flowing. They are filled with precious metals that react with the gases coming in and change the chemical make up for the better before sending them into the atmosphere. Thats all. It does quiet things down a bit, but thats left for the muffler. Thats why cars have cats stolen off them so people can recycle the internals, not so much sell the cat or use it themselves. Not worth getting refereed or ticketed over for little gains.

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#42 Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jcarv20 is an unknown
cobb stage one will bring your boost from 13.5 to 16.5 if i remember correctly and that's a safe way to increase, personally not a big fan a boost controllers, unless your trying to get a lot of hp and are getting a protune. I like to keep my car reliable and fun just my opinion. O and i have an 05 wrx with an STi spoiler on it and i love it, perfect fitment.
#43 Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Don't forget the up pipe. VERY IMPORTANT for your car. The up pipe has a cat in it as well, but that pipe is right before the turbo, and if anything goes wrong, it may/will send bits of metal into your turbo, and BOOM, or so I read.
As far as the open source vs AP goes, the AP is re-tunable, whereas the open source is kind of a one-shot deal, where you load a new map into your ECU, and there it stays until you change it. Your dealership can tell if you change the mapping, and this will most likely void any warranty. The AP can be changed any time, but should also be returned to stock mapping and removed b4 dealing w/ the dealership (along with any other go-fast goodies), especially if you break something and want it covered under warranty. If I'm wrong here, feel free to correct, I could use proper info as well, this is just my understanding and I'm still a noob. (LOL! spell check doesn't approve of my spelling for noob)

Last edited by new 'bru; 02-29-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding info
#44 Old 02-29-2008, 01:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil View Post
You can buy catted downpipes if you like. Costs about $100 more for the cat in there. Helix, cobb, and many many others make catted pipes. The performance gain is NOT from removing the cats, it's from switching to a bellmouth that allows the waste gate to work effectively. I run a helix catted downpipe, just fyi.

Again, please stop double posting your questions!

#45 Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Garage
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/...-my-wrx-22363/

DreamEvil, PLEASE stop double posting your questions. We'll answer them in one place, not two. OK?