Need some help with my WRX - merged - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thats a good start. That is the route Im basically going. EM first, then you can tune and get better power per mod that you do.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 Old 02-25-2008, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you're looking for the most cost-effective em solution, look into open source (there's a sticky on here somewhere). It will cost you only $85 vs. $700 for an AP, and it will do the most important things an AP can do.

Like some have said already: BOV = noise maker.

For the exhaust, look into the following: prodrive (round or oval tip), scoobysport, maddad whisper, greddy evo (1 or 2), mrt, spt, and borla hush. They are all pretty quiet.
post #18 of 57 Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Hmm yeah Ill have to look at some of those brand names now you said there pretty quiet but do they give you alot of performance like do you have any idea of what type of horse power gains could be expected?

Also as far as the price difference with the EM's if theres one that is only 85 dollars then can you really expect to gain to much increases on power? The AP i was looking at supposedly gives atleast 33 horse power.
post #19 of 57 Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
I'd say my current main objective is to from the current 227 horse power i have to around 260-300 with out getting into too major of upgrades or complicated ones. As well as make it look a little nicer with a spoiler it just seems so out of place with a hood scoop and no spoiler and maybe make it sound a little bit nicer but not draw to much attention to myself. If my math is correct if I can get maybe 10-20 horse power out of a exhaust that'd put me at between 237-247 and if the AP really does add that much I should be in the 270 horse power range.
post #20 of 57 Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Now are you talking Wheel Horsepower (WHP) or power at the crank? And also a cat back will not net you any power, you will need a downpipe to get gains on the exhaust end of things. Opensource is kind of more complex than the AP, but only to get started, read about it in the Engine Mannagement section of the forum.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #21 of 57 Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Yeah im talking at the crank not the wheels, Also I was talking things over with my dad and he was thinking, knowing the cops in my town, that maybe putting a True Flow Air filter, and a the AceessPort from cobb would be the best way to go as it would attract no attention from cops or no more then what I already would receive and I would hit assuming the site is accurate with saying 33 horse power and the air filter should add a bit so it should be around 260 maybe even slightly more, He also said that as for spoilers I should stick with stock looking ones as it will add some looks to the vehicle but not really draw any more attention then is needed. Any comments on what he thinks, and does any one know of any places to find stock spoilers??
post #22 of 57 Old 02-27-2008, 02:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
Lots of guys want to go wingless. I bet you could find someone around you with the same color car that had a stock wing that wanted to trade.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #23 of 57 Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

That doesnt sound like a bad idea. If you get like the SPT, Borla Hush, or the Prodrive they look pretty much stock and from what I have heard (video clips) they arent too loud either.You arent really going to get any gains from an air filter or an intake for that matter. The stock box is good fr 300+ HP. As far spoilers go, if you want to remain with the stock appearance but still be different. look for an S203 or S204 spoiler. Im really thinking about the S204 spoiler when I get back.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #24 of 57 Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Hey, newtothegame, Yeah I was looking at some of those spoilers alittle to pricey and when I said a stock looking spoiler i guess i didn't explain im more or less lookingfor a tiny one like something that is maaaaaybe like 3 inches or something very very basic nothing to flashy just to make it look a little bit less out of place with the hood scoop and all. As for the exhausts yeah I'll have to start looking, or listening to, the ones you guys have been talking about.
post #25 of 57 Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Hey, newtothegame, I just checked out that exahust you mentioned the Borla Hush im amazed to be honest that is almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for and for a damn good price! But I have two questions for you and any one on this site.

1. What do you know about COBB and there AccessPort is it genuine is it a quality product and do you actually gain 33 horse power?? (Or reasonably close to it)

2. What do you guys know about this Borla Hush exhaust I already found prices but what are the power gains from that any one know how much horse power is to be expected to be gained?
post #26 of 57 Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
I have read, heard, and experienced nothing but good things with Cobb. Legit. EM first. When you said spoiler upgrade, I thought you meant you were taking it off..
post #27 of 57 Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
def. do the AP first....you'll be dissapointed if you believe that plugging that thing in will instantly give you 33hp and 55lbs tq. but as you continue modding you'll have EM to support everything you do. Cobb has off the shelf maps for a variety of mod combinations, and then protuners in your area can write you a map specific for your car and mods.

i'd say get an oem spoiler...i personally like the look (wrx or sti) as they are designed to match the car's lines, and they are much cheaper than the ones on the site that longshot recommended.

say no to BOV.....so far as mufflers, i have the turboXS titanium tip, its not really loud in an obnoxious way (ricerish) but i love the deep grumble it has to it. won't get you pulled over for noise ordinances i wouldn't think, though it's definitely louder than stock. it's half as loud as a damn harley. go borla hush if you really want it quiet, or just stick with stock.

congrats on the purchase, have fun with your car, the process never ends....trust me.
post #28 of 57 Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
Hey coloWRXer you mentioned i'd be disappointed with the 33hp and 55lbs of tq what do you suppose it ACTUALLY gives you??? I mean are we talking some rink a dink like 5 horse power gains or fairly close to what it said like 25 or something?
post #29 of 57 Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM

First off the Cobb stage one map does not give you that much power at all. I have the stage one map from a V2 on my 07. It gave more power Im sure, but dont have the dyno to prove it. It basically makes more boost, and sooner, and smoothed out the power band. You also have to remeber/realize that every car reacts to mods differently, thats just the way that is. The AP might give you around 33HP if you put a downpipe on with it, I personally dont know becuase I havent got that far yet with my car. As far as the Borla or any CBE (cat back exhaust) goes there is next to no gain in power wise, its all looks and sound. The main restriction on the Subaru exhaust is the DP where it connects to the turbo. Its a small tube with a flat flange that covers alot of the turbo restricting the flow.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #30 of 57 Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DreamEvil is an unknown
I see grr this is really seeming to turn into a money pit in order for things to work ya gotta buy like five other things -_-"" lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement