Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Need some help with my WRX - merged (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/need-some-help-my-wrx-merged-22362/)

DreamEvil 02-24-2008 10:21 PM

Need some help with my WRX - merged

I recently purchased a Subaru its a 2003 Impreza WRX low millage and kept immaculate. Im looking to do light modifications right now example, Spoiler, Blow off Valve, Exhaust and a AccessPort. My questions are below.

Firstly does any one know of any stylish spoilers that aren't obnoxiously large and at a pretty fair price that would fit on my car?? Also does any body know of any good but also cost efficient companies to buy blow off valves from?

Secondly like I mentioned about the cops I don't want to draw TOO much attention to myself Im thinking about getting a new exhaust though so I was wondering do they make performance exhausts that give you a decent horse power increase like maybe 10-20 but do not make the car to much louder??

Then lastly I was thinking about purchasing a "Accessport" from COBB which supposedly gives you 33 horse power and 55 lbs of torque. Which costs approx. $700.00 So im not sure if thats the greatest bang for the buck, I also don't know if I should do all the other mods before hand because maybe it would mess it up to do the AccessPort or Program and then put new components on it.

Go easy on me not only am I complete novice to cars, But very new to Subaru's and what is good to do to them. Thank you for any help that you guys can provide. :)

DreamEvil 02-24-2008 10:29 PM

Some questions for my WRX

I recently purchased a Subaru its a 2003 Impreza WRX low millage and kept immaculate. Im looking to do light modifications right now example, Spoiler, Blow off Valve, Exhaust and a AccessPort. My questions are below.

Firstly does any one know of any stylish spoilers that aren't obnoxiously large and at a pretty fair price that would fit on my car?? Also does any body know of any good but also cost efficient companies to buy blow off valves from?

Secondly like I mentioned about the cops I don't want to draw TOO much attention to myself Im thinking about getting a new exhaust though so I was wondering do they make performance exhausts that give you a decent horse power increase like maybe 10-20 but do not make the car to much louder??

Then lastly I was thinking about purchasing a "Accessport" from COBB which supposedly gives you 33 horse power and 55 lbs of torque. Which costs approx. $700.00 So im not sure if thats the greatest bang for the buck, I also don't know if I should do all the other mods before hand because maybe it would mess it up to do the AccessPort or Program and then put new components on it.

Go easy on me not only am I complete novice to cars, But very new to Subaru's and what is good to do to them. Thank you for any help that you guys can provide.

newtothegame 02-24-2008 10:31 PM

First start by researching those parts that you mentioned. There are stickies all through the site about alot of those parts. A BOV, worthless noise maker. Some will say otherwise, that they run them with no ill effect, others have idle problems and running rich/lean with them. Its money that you spent to get no gain at all. The power in the exhaust is gained by changing the DP (downpipe) on the car, its the biggest restriction on the car. Read up about Cobbs AP, I have one, running stage 1. I definetly didnt get all that power, but I knew I wouldnt either. There are "stages" to their maps. Basially consisting of different bolt on parts that Cobb has already made a "map" of. Some type of EM (engine management) is always a good place to start with the cars, not as much needed at first with the older models. But still good to have as you can change the cars settings through i to get the most out of your setup. Check out youtube for the different sounding cat back exhausts, they are for sound and look. As well as spoilers, its more of a personal preference there. If I missed something or didnt answer fully, sorry, someone will fill it in, or feel free to keep asking. But almost all I know has been learned by reading on here or searching through out the internet. Good luck with everything and welcome to the club.

DreamEvil 02-24-2008 11:14 PM

Thanks for some of those tips yeah I know the blow off valve is definitely virtually useless I just like the sound that it makes haha...But yeah I wasn't to sure bout that exhaust stuff like if they do make quiet and at the same time performance.

mikeydotkom6 02-24-2008 11:29 PM

i ve got a magnaflow cat back and it gave me good performance and its not to loud its a strait through design its not loud enough for me i just installed my up pipe and that also made a difference.

mikeydotkom6 02-24-2008 11:33 PM

take out your intake silence in your passenger finder well and put in a drop in high flow filter you will be able to hear your turbo spool and youll get some performance out of it i got a cold air intake only because i got for 25 bucks from a friend.

pzr2874 02-25-2008 05:48 AM

Start with the COBB AP, then get the exhaust you like (along with a downpipe). Doing anything to these cars w/out engine mgmt will not yield big gains as far as power. I don't really like the BOV thing, kinda useless untill you hit big #'s on your car. Post some pics up here of your car so everyone can see if they can help on the wing-thing. Welcome to the forums, a lot of knowledge on here, do some searches on these threads.

Longshot 02-25-2008 07:18 AM

[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/bov-cai-discussions-read-before-you-ask-about-one-13553/[/url]

Good to read about why these two mods can cause problems in a wrx if not tuned correctly. I agree with starting off with some type of EM; you'll need it as you continue to mod the car. The AP is the most user friendly of the selection. Exhaust wise you go with a downpipe/uppipe (decent increase in whp/wtq), just a catback (no go only show), or do the entire system (uppipe, downpipe into catback which = turboback exhaust). There are aftermarket spoilers you can look at here:

[url=http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/exterior-spoiler-c-21_25_31_100.html]RallySportDirect.com - Subaru WRX Spoilers - Performance Upgrade Parts[/url]

This is one of many sites, but one of my personal favorites. Oh yeah, Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

Longshot 02-25-2008 07:29 AM

I added a bit in your other post, you don't need to post the same thing in two different forums, only once. Your Q's will get answered.

Jcarv20 02-25-2008 10:54 AM

The AP is a deff good step 1. BOV is not a good idea as mention. Exhaust if i remember hearing correctly i believe the borla hush isn't insanely loud like an HKS would be. You could just get the STi spoiler for your car if you like that. It'll look fine.

new 'bru 02-25-2008 01:18 PM

From what I gather about the 03, you will need to change your up pipe, because it has a cat in it, which puts it dangerously close to the turbo, where if you make too much power or a boo-boo, bye-bye turbo. Also, look into a down pipe, probably a high-flow type so you can easily pass emissions if need be. As for a quiet pipe, the Borla hush is stock quiet, and Cobb, Invidia, and Greedy evo2 are the quietest pipes I can find (check youtube).
If you want a BOV (blow off valve)just for the cool sound, then you'll also want to put a CAI (cold air intake) on for max WOOOSH, although a quiet pipe and a CAI+BOV= cops just the same :-(, unless you see them early enough to get below turbo.
Ultimately, all of these mods are useless without EM, so the Cobb AP is a great investment. I expect you could get 33hp, maybe more with these mods and stage 2, but if you only buy one item from this list, make it the AP. You can run stage 1 on your car as is, and it makes a fair difference over stock.
Good luck, use the search button, and welcome to the club!!

DreamEvil 02-25-2008 02:00 PM

Thanks alot guys, I am sorry for posting twice but when reading underneath the bolt on part of the forum I thought maybe this would fit in there better..Also I'd like to really thank all of you for helping me out as much as you did I've joined other car forums in the past as this isn't my first car and people were very rude as well as not to helpful so I really appreciate your patience with me as well as the advice you've given.

newtothegame 02-25-2008 04:11 PM

Thats what we are here for. After re-reading this, if you want the sounds still check into some type of hybrid BOV, like a 50/50 one. Decent sound and usually no ill side affects.

DreamEvil 02-25-2008 05:11 PM

So basically Go with the AP (AccessPort) first and then after words perhaps do a exhust and other small modifications. As well as do the spoiler and other mods that dont really effect performance when ever.

DreamEvil 02-25-2008 05:12 PM

Alright I got alot of research to start doing but thanks to all of you for helping me get on the right foot.