Need some advice - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dustminer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DirtyVibe is an unknown
Need some advice

Hey all, i'm the new owner of a 2007 Subaru WRX limited edition. I just bought it exactly a month ago and i'm the second owner(no warranty, as is). It's completely stock, at least for the time being, and it has 100k miles on it. It was purchased from an old lady(no joke, grey hair and all), who went and bought a new 2015 Outback to replace it. The car has run fine up until today when this nightmare started. I've babied the car all around and have rarely even ever boosted it. Today I stop at the gas station on the way to work and the car decided it didn't want to start back up. All the electronics are functioning, but it will not turn-over(not even that clicking sound made when a starter has gone bad). So I leave it at the gas station and get a ride from a friend to work, and return to get the car at lunch time. My co-worker doesn't know much about cars either, but we attempted to jump start it with no success, so we roll started it. Now keep in mind, there was no problems or check engine light prior to this, not even a check engine once we got it push started. I take it to a local mechanic right away(i need the car to travel for my vacation that starts after work today). He says that it's a bad starter, replaces the starter(comments on how abnormally hot the old starter was/still is), and the car still wont start. He checks some fuses with his meter and whatnot with no success, then he starts messing with some wiring under steering wheel(safety switch and some other things). He gets the car to start and shuts it off and on a few times while still messing with the wires, then puts it all back together. The starting issue is now solved, yay right? Yea, but now the car is running crappy(kinda like it's misfiring a little), and the check engine light is flashing. He says to go have the battery checked at the parts store for a bad cell, because that could be causing the check engine light, and that I probably need to replace the timing belt soon because it could be missing a tooth and causing the car to run crappy. But the engine ran fine before I brought it to him. I took the car to the parts store and had them check the battery and it tested out perfectly, they also did a free check engine diagnostics(I will post the results at the end of this post). So now I have paid $220 to fix one problem and got a different one. I know I could just take it to a Subaru dealership, but I had bad experiences with dealership service departments in the past, and they charge an insane amount(which I can't afford, being that I just went pretty much broke buying this car). I though these cars were supposed to be reliable? So far this has been a huge headache and also has probably ruined my vacation plans now. Also, now when I put the keys in the ignition and turn the accessories on before ignition, you can hear a clicking noise inside the engine compartment going on and off along with a fan doing the same thing. Does anyone know or have any suggestions as to what the problem is? I would really appreciate it.

CEL errors as follows:

P1518 - Starter switch low input \ Probable Cause: Open or short circuit condition; Failed starter switch

P0851 - Neutral switch input circuit low \ Probable Cause: Open or short circuit condition; Poor electrical connection; Failed neutral switch

P0502- Vehicle speed sensor(VSS) circuit low input \ Probable Cause: Open or short circuit condition; Poor electrical connection; Fault vehicle speed sensor

P1152 and P1153- Heated Oxygen sensor -Bank 1 Sensor 1 (H02S11) sensor circuit range/performance low \ Probable Cause: Open or short circuit condition; Poor electrical connection; Failed H02S11 ( Bank 1 Sensor 1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
are your battery terminals rust free?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

DirtyVibe is an unknown
Yep, went and double checked, but they look good.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-04-2014, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I'm suspicious, I wonder what he actually did with those wires...

Yes, he may have gotten the car to start but that is not the same as properly fixing the (original) starting problem. I think you have already started down the path of being swindled with this "local mechanic", especially since he is using terms like "probably" and "could be".

Based on your description (and some situations that I have experienced), your original problem could have simply been insufficient ground. Now, it could be a combination of things. But my speculation is not going to help the problem get solved, so...

What part of the country do you live in? I ask because if you cannot find an independent Subaru shop, then possibly one of us could suggest one that is relatively close to you.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #5 of 9 Old 07-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I'm with Matt. Sounds like an electrical problem. Maybe a bad ground, damaged harness, or poor connection somewhere. Sorry I'm not more help but, electrical problems are some of the worst to diagnose over the interwebz. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2014, 05:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

dustminer is an unknown
check that the green test connectors are not hook together, they are under the dash by wheel!
boo-key likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You might want to look deeper into the engin bay and see if your firewall grounding strap is corroded. while your doing it check all of you engine grounding straps.

Those codes sound like bad grounding to me. Keep us in the loop

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
maybe I sounded to harsh...

please come back DirtyVibe and tell us what you found/did!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
anyone check the clutch switch?
if the pcm doesnt see a clutch switch input it wont do ANYTHING accept turn on lights.