Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need future advice! Please unload.

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Hey all, lets get to the point. I'm looking to buy a 2002 or 2003 WRX sedan for my first car. Before you absolutely diminish me on how this is a terrible choice (not experienced enough, insurance, blah blah. At least here me out). Ive been driving for 2 years (Trucks and Cars of different sizes) and finally feel comfortable. Im turning 19 in a few weeks. Getting to the tips part. A 2002 or 2003 obviously is not going to be found brand new unless extremely lucky and most will have over 100,000 miles (or about 162,000 km give or take) on it. So Im just wondering what I should do since im buying used. I have already checked a different thread that told me everything I should check before buying but lets say I want to engine swap, which should I go for? I'm not a car mechanic nor do I have extreme knowledge on the parts of the car besides the basics, I do though hope to soon learn more. I am not purchasing this car so I can "stance" it or make it "hella flush". I just love Subaru and feel I should get an old but nice one since im in love with the bug eyes ;) Other then that do you guys have tips on how I can learn more about upgrading the car parts? I mean if its really in a condition where it needs minimal replacements sure Ill do it (like clutch, shifter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, etc)

#3 ·
Thanks! I mean, I am fairly young and most adults don't trust us teens/young adults with wrx's and sti's and to be honest I don't blame them but I find it a bit unfair that everyone should be judged that way. I am a very responsible driver and even I am backing down from an 06 STi till I have more experience.

#4 ·
well no one will judge you here! if you feel you are ready then go for it! these cars are really fun. as long as you dont abuse them they will last. when i was your age i was racing my friends every chance i could get. lol. just drive responsibly and you will earn your respect. if you hasve any questions let us know there are a lot of guys here that know their stuff.

#5 ·
Well to be honest my biggest question would be where can I learn more about car parts? I don't really have any hands on experience sadly (Wish I had), when I get my car I plan to install all the parts myself which means Im going to need efficiently learn how to. For instance if you were to tell me to swap out a bumper or put in new coil overs I would not know how to do it, but I really want to learn. I don't want to constantly bring my car to the mechanic to swap parts. Personally I see it as a waste of money and a learning experience if I don't do it myself. If it is a fatal malfunction thats a different story but these minor modifications I want to be able to do myself.

#6 ·
I would recommend registering yourself on NASIOC. You will find a lot of good information on that forum with respect to car parts, what works, and what doesn't work. There's a lot of banter as well, but you will soon be able to realize who the serious folks are and those are the people whose posts you'll want to pay attention to (as they are usually the tuners, mechanics, and amateur racers that are affiliated with independent shops).

Take what you have studied from that site, come back to our site here, and let's have a friendly discussion about what you are thinking about.

As for the process of purchasing your car, thekamikaze kid gives some good advice. I believe this thread is an example of what he is suggesting you do (reading the first couple pages is enough):

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/market-wrx-32156/

Additionally, here's a thread you might want to read:

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/buying-used-wrx-sti-31528/

That being said, welcome! It is obvious that you are being honest with (and about) yourself when it comes to cars. We like people like that around here!

#7 ·
Thanks, I just visited the forums. This may sound like much but can you please link me some threads? I mean I just don't know where to start. Any beginner threads or beginner tips? Engine threads? Something? lol If not, its alright don't sweat it. Thanks!

#9 ·
The thing is, I usually don't know where to start either. So I go to the search page and start doing keyword searches. Gradually, I start narrowing things down with extra keywords. I'm not going to lie to you, it's a process that takes time and patience. Go ahead, give it a try!

NASIOC - Search Forums

Also, you can search this forum site by using the search field at the upper right corner of the page. Just make sure to change the icon from "Google search" to "VB search".

#10 ·
try the links sleepr gave you first. then go find a car! post the ad up on here and we can tell you if it is a good buy. there are a few good how to videos on youtube on installing parts and such. from my experience most people at first get a cobb access port, and either go stage 1 or stage 2. try COBB Tuning - The most complete vehicle tuning solution on the planet. and COBB Tuning - Accessport Off The Shelf Maps do a lot of reading on the site especially the map notes as to what parts to put on. the "off the shelf maps" require specific parts. here are the map notes for the 02-03 wrx. COBB Tuning - Accessport Off The Shelf Maps these are the maps just click "notes" and read read read!

#16 ·
I don't know what some of our other members think, but in picture 18 I see what looks like dried water (coolant?) on the radiator and the accessory belt cover. It makes me think that this particular car might need a new radiator sooner than later. I might be wrong, but I've seen those kinds of stains before...

Expand the region of your search! :)

#12 ·
this is around what you want to get, i would guess 6500-6800 id pay for that. looks mostly stock, but the engine bay looks a little dirty. it might have been beat on. some questions you would ask are what mods it has and if it has been tuned for them depending on what mods it has. always of course a test drive will tell you if there is anything wrong with it. some of the other guys know more than me, id wait for them to chime in.

#18 ·
Scratz, Welcome to the community.

We dont judge here so nothing to worry about, No such thing as stupid questions only stupid people ( they are the ones with questions they are too afraid to ask)

When you get a chance to test drive I would take a local tuner along for the ride. Call around to local Subaru tuning shops and see if they are willing to do inspections and test drives, Thats the best way to be sure you arent getting something someone beat into the dirt. If you get really lucky you might find one driven by someones grandma to church on Sunday.

I tell this to everybody but when you get it no matter how many miles it has runn it through a break in period. Spend a thousand miles driving slowly, control the RPM and learn how the car drives, Learn what it like and what makes it angry then you can step on it and enjoy the AWD goodness without wraping yourself around a pole.

Again Welcome, When you find an ad for one you like let us know were glad to help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.