Need clutch help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Peshybutter is an unknown
Need clutch help

I have a 2008 impreza wrx 5 speed with 31000 miles. I bought it with 10k miles on it back in February of 2011. I consider my self a very experienced driver when it comes to manual transmission/shifting. I've been getting slipping in 3rd and 4th gear only. I do drive my car hard alot and most of my miles are city. (what's the point of buying this car and driving like a grandma). I still don't think a clutch should be slipping with this low miles.. And I barely use 3rd and 4th gear. I looked up some stuff in Google and it seems alot of people have similar issues. Any suggestions on Wut type of replacement racing clutch I should get and pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Stock trans stock clutch. I just did a clutch on a Mazda 3 with 40k on it and it was a 08. Clutches do wear if you beat the shit out of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 01-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
70k on my 06 and stock clutch is still going strong. Sounds like either weak/faulty from the factory or has been abused.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshybutter View Post
I have a 2008 impreza wrx 5 speed with 31000 miles. I bought it with 10k miles on it back in February of 2011. I consider my self a very experienced driver when it comes to manual transmission/shifting. I've been getting slipping in 3rd and 4th gear only. I do drive my car hard alot and most of my miles are city. (what's the point of buying this car and driving like a grandma). I still don't think a clutch should be slipping with this low miles.. And I barely use 3rd and 4th gear. I looked up some stuff in Google and it seems alot of people have similar issues. Any suggestions on Wut type of replacement racing clutch I should get and pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'm guessing what's in bold Adair, FOL.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#5 Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I have 108kmiles with the original stock clutch, and I've had over 300whp+ since.. well over 50kmiles. Sounds like abuse or poor clutch technique.

I have two friends, both had to change their clutches at 30ish k. One was modded, the other was stock. The modded friend, well, he abused the car. Drove like a teenage kid getting a fast car for the first time (and he was at the time). Stock friend (RS).. he didn't know how to drive standard very well. Revved it up to 4k before engaging with massive slippage everywhere he went.

Stick with stock (or equiv) unless you plan on upgrading a lot later.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
I have 108kmiles with the original stock clutch, and I've had over 300whp+ since.. well over 50kmiles. Sounds like abuse or poor clutch technique.

Stick with stock (or equiv) unless you plan on upgrading a lot later.
Agreed.

I have a little over 128k on my stock clutch and I have 365 whp. When my clutch starts slipping, I'm probably going to upgrade to an ACT Heavy Duty full faced street clutch and an ACT StreetLite flywheel, but I also have Albins helical gears which are much stronger than stock. If I still had my stock gears, without question, I would get another stock clutch.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)