Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need clutch help

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 impreza wrx 5 speed with 31000 miles. I bought it with 10k miles on it back in February of 2011. I consider my self a very experienced driver when it comes to manual transmission/shifting. I've been getting slipping in 3rd and 4th gear only. I do drive my car hard alot and most of my miles are city. (what's the point of buying this car and driving like a grandma). I still don't think a clutch should be slipping with this low miles.. And I barely use 3rd and 4th gear. I looked up some stuff in Google and it seems alot of people have similar issues. Any suggestions on Wut type of replacement racing clutch I should get and pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#4 ·
I have a 2008 impreza wrx 5 speed with 31000 miles. I bought it with 10k miles on it back in February of 2011. I consider my self a very experienced driver when it comes to manual transmission/shifting. I've been getting slipping in 3rd and 4th gear only. I do drive my car hard alot and most of my miles are city. (what's the point of buying this car and driving like a grandma). I still don't think a clutch should be slipping with this low miles.. And I barely use 3rd and 4th gear. I looked up some stuff in Google and it seems alot of people have similar issues. Any suggestions on Wut type of replacement racing clutch I should get and pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'm guessing what's in bold Adair, FOL. >:D

#5 ·
I have 108kmiles with the original stock clutch, and I've had over 300whp+ since.. well over 50kmiles. Sounds like abuse or poor clutch technique.

I have two friends, both had to change their clutches at 30ish k. One was modded, the other was stock. The modded friend, well, he abused the car. Drove like a teenage kid getting a fast car for the first time (and he was at the time). Stock friend (RS).. he didn't know how to drive standard very well. Revved it up to 4k before engaging with massive slippage everywhere he went.

Stick with stock (or equiv) unless you plan on upgrading a lot later.

#6 ·
I have 108kmiles with the original stock clutch, and I've had over 300whp+ since.. well over 50kmiles. Sounds like abuse or poor clutch technique.

Stick with stock (or equiv) unless you plan on upgrading a lot later.
Agreed.

I have a little over 128k on my stock clutch and I have 365 whp. When my clutch starts slipping, I'm probably going to upgrade to an ACT Heavy Duty full faced street clutch and an ACT StreetLite flywheel, but I also have Albins helical gears which are much stronger than stock. If I still had my stock gears, without question, I would get another stock clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.