Need Advise!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-16-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Need Advise!!

Ok here is my problem.

I'm going to the Justice Academy here in February and will not be receiving any pay for 5 months. (Keep this in mind lol).

My sister just left for Co. to finish up her degree there and asked if she could use my Jeep for a semister until she could get a AWD/4WD car (she drives a BMW), like a sucker I agreed =/. Since I will not be working with my company anymore (Contractor) rather than leaving my partner in the cold I'm letting him use my Truck until he can find one. This leaves the Cobra (I CAN ONLY OWN SO MANY VEHICLES!!) for my wife to drive (work, etc).

Now that I've informed you off all that useless stuff real problem is ... I NEED A WAY TO THE ACADEMY DAILY.!!

So I'm looking for a cheap car (would love 2kish but can go a little more) that doesn't have to be very reliable (but will get me there more than not) that would serve a purpose after the Academy when we get dual incomes again. (Ex. something that I could throw a thousand or so a month at that would mod and tune decently) Doens't have to be all speed, or drag. Could be for drifting or AutoX; or just a blast to drive. To the point again, I'm looking for someting under a few thousand, that if I sink 5-8k in it will be SOMETHING fun.

Any ideas? Only requirements are MUST BE A CAR! (not suv/jeep/truck) and must be ok for a few months only with simple maintenance. Doesn't matter age or style.

TIA,

-kobi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-17-2005, 01:06 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Alot of people drive old Legacy's or old 2.5 RS's around here. You should look at autotrader and see what you can find.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-17-2005, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I believe Joey still has the Metro....
post #4 of 14 Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
um can you say civic hatch?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-17-2005, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXblurr
um can you say civic hatch?
"civic hatch"
post #6 of 14 Old 01-17-2005, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
"civic hatch"

!Laugh!
post #7 of 14 Old 01-17-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Sweet, might consider... what about 240's or rx7's, anybody know much about them... I know the SR option / 3 rotor is open after school but how would it be until then?

-kobi
post #8 of 14 Old 01-18-2005, 08:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well, the big thing now is turboing the KA that comes stock in the 240. There are several people on DragVA that have that setup, and many are putting out close to 400 at the wheels for very little money. Plus, if you have engine problems, KA motors go for $200 or so, whereas SR20's go for about ten times that. The SR may be more glamorous, but the KA does just as well.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-18-2005, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Yes the KA is an Iron block truck motor originally. It should be pretty beefy. There have been 1 or 2 in Turbo or Sport Compact with turbo KAs. If the wife would let me she'd be driving a turbo Altima
post #10 of 14 Old 01-18-2005, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
I know it is older, but you can find a Honda CRX for 1,000 and unless it is messed up when you buy it, it will get you from here to there. As far as aftermarket mods/performance I think Civics are second only to (old)Volkswagen Bugs in price and availability. And hondas (even fairly modded ones) are still pretty reliable (and cheap to insure)
post #11 of 14 Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

TXSnEj20 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TXSnEj20 Send a message via MSN to TXSnEj20
1st gen dsm we all know 4g63 engine is good, look at the evo. 2nd gen supra, not sure what price you can find a 2nd gen supra. But cant be to much. Or how about the older corolla with the pop headlights (forgot what we called them). My .02
post #12 of 14 Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

jspecdan is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to jspecdan
an s13 240sx is really cheap. you can get one for a grand, or even less, and it'll be in almost perfect running condition. plus, as it was mentioned, putting on a turbo kit would be the way to go for the stock motor. the kits generally cost the same as buying an sr20det front clip anyway. also, if the motor does blow up, they're so cheap, it won't cost you that much.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-19-2005, 01:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

sUbFuZioN is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to sUbFuZioN
dont get a rc7 its not very reliable for the miles u wanna put on. 240sx (s13) i say is the best deal. its in your price range they last forever. parts cheap for it.sr20s are great motors. i use to have a 89 240sx as a drift car when i had my wrx =o). fun little car. it was my first motor swap from a 89 sohc to a 93 dohc.. i had 205k on the sohc block (never rebuilt) and 160k on the sohc head... RAN LIKE A CHAMP.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2005, 07:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

bleubaru is an unknown
I'd grab sis's beemer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement