Subaru WRX Forum banner

My first WRX. Help with mods?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
I just bought my first 04 WRX a few days ago. Ive had nothing but trucks my whole life and wanted to try something new, so I'm pretty unfamiliar when it comes to this sort of thing. It's already got a K&N typhoon intake, and a turboXS BOV, haven't gotten under the car yet so i don't know what exhaust it's running(its pretty loud though), and it also came with a prosport boost gauge. I want to do much more but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Kevin Price,

Welcome to the community.

Im going to start with the same thing i tell everyone. Drive the car for 2,000 miles before you change a thing. Drive it fast and drive it slow, drive early in the morning and late at night. Get to know the car, listen to it and learn what it likes. Then decide what you want to change. The first thing i would do is take it to a local tuner and make sure everything is running normally then i would just drive it. With Turbo platforms in general its a good idea to make friends with a tuner. If the car isn't tuned already you can unlock quite a bit of extra power with a proper tune and if it is tuned then a good tuner will be able to map out the future for you. It sounds like its setup for a stage 2 already so i would make sure your ECU is happy and the parts are all working in harmony.

From what your describing it sounds like the previous owner started with power, Im the exact opposite. If everything is stock I would start with some nice sway-bars and end-links, maybe some performance struts (10 years 100,000 miles) they probably need it anyway. If the brakes are stock I would look into stainless brake lines and maybe performance pads/rotors.

With great power comes great responsibility. Its more important to be able to stop fast than it is to go fast.

#3 ·
Some may think it to be obsessive-compulsive, but check your oil before you start the car at least twice per week during Jason's 2,000 mile recommendation. It is to your benefit to have an intimate knowledge of how and under what circumstances your car "uses" oil (or doesn't "use" oil, if that is the case).

#4 ·
Also look into swapping that BOV for a good solid BPV.
Your engine wants that air recirculating between shifts.

I like the Cobb XLE. It's a great piece that can withstand a ton of boost. And built perfectly.

Get ready, because you just bought a car that cost a lot of cash to play.

Reactions: arewmors
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.