Subaru WRX Forum banner

My 1st upgrade

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  car_doper 
#1 ·
Hey this is my first tuner car. I desided to go with the WRX due to looks and just for some reason I was drawn to the car more than the EVO or SRT. I read the newbie FAQ about upgrades and the order to go in. First thing is exhaust from the FAQ. I was wondering if anyone had a brand name they can refer me to or what they recomind I should get. Thanks for the help chris.

#2 ·
go TBE (turboback exhaust), uppipe, k&n Drop in, intake elbo (silencer delete), short shifter. mobile 1 synthetic oil, redline gear oil.

all of those are great mods, i did all those first, and im running great times, just stay away from the intakes and BOV (blow off valves) untill you have some sort of EM setup (engine management) . good luck and im sure much more will be added to this post.

#6 ·
i build computers too for fun.

i would say go with Turboxs downpipe for sure. if not the TBE, its a 4 inch downpipe, some say you dont need it with the stock turbo, well i use it with my stock turbo, and my 1/4 mile time says it all. not any more extra lag or anything like that. any name brand will do fine, cobb, perrin, helix, turboxs. other then that im not sure i cant think of any other right now.

and thanks for doing some researcha bout the Intake and BOV, most nubs just aska million questions about them, they suck. period

#9 ·
awesome. just remember, if you want to bolt the turboxs 4 inch dp to your stock catback, you need the turboxs downpipe, turboxs race pipe, and the install kit. if you want to use the dp with a aftermarket catback, you will need the dp and the turboxs catback adaptor. then it will all bolt up fine. catted or catless you may ask? go catless, i was cated before, you wont pass smog with one high flow cat, so you might as well go catless.

my car kind of stinks, and alot of wrx's smell without cats (alot of cars do, you know), but from what i hear, with a protune, if your runnin TITS then you shouldnt have any smell. good luck man, keep us up to date on what you are going to do.

if i had the money, i would get the Borla Hush catback. Biggsean has it, sounds great.

#14 ·
Speedogomer said:
I'd personally go with the Cobb AP first.

As for a DP, don't limit yourself to the TurboXS, I have an Invidia, as do many others, and I love it.
I got the Cobb A/P first and also use an invidia v2 catless downpipe. Very nice! Bolted right up to my Greddy cat back with no adapters. Some people swear that you will get boost spiking/creeping if you get a bellmouth downpipe without EM. Yes, they are a simple install. It took me under three hours to install the full TBE.

#15 ·
MagiCmaN said:
Hey this is my first tuner car. I desided to go with the WRX due to looks and just for some reason I was drawn to the car more than the EVO or SRT. I read the newbie FAQ about upgrades and the order to go in. First thing is exhaust from the FAQ. I was wondering if anyone had a brand name they can refer me to or what they recomind I should get. Thanks for the help chris.
Well not that I have done this yet but I think im going with the Cobb TBE. I have heard this on other WRXs and you can actually here the clip at cobb's site obviously you can just get a cat-back too. happy hunting.

#17 ·
+1 for Invidia. I have the Invidia G200 on and it's pretty quiet and I just ordered a Invidia V3 d.p. from Scoobytuner. Chris hooked me up with a sweet deal. The d.p. should be here today. :D Looks like I know what I'm doing tonight. For the price, I don't think you could get any better than Invidia. I'm not saying it's the best out there over everything, but IMO it's the best bang for the buck. Better quality thatn Helix, for just a little more money.

#18 ·
The brand issue is not a big deal. I doubt, from one brand to another, that you could possibly tell a difference in power. Cobb, perrin, txs, megan, prodrive, helix, invidia, aps, borla, you name it... they're all going to be within 5 hp. Don't get too caught up in all the advertisement. What you WILL notice between one exhaust from another is sound. Decide how quiet/loud you want your exhaust to be, listen around, and decide from there. I suggest, whatever downpipe you get, to go with a bellmouth since they are cheaper, simpler, and performs similarly with other more complex designs.

csped... tbe is always better than cbe. if you get a cbe, get a downpipe too. (duh)

This is what I suggest. Go to nasioc classifieds http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149 and find someone local selling a tbe. You can get used, or sometime even new car parts for MUCH cheaper than retail price. My turboback ended up costing me a little over $400 instead of 1k+. That's cheaper than JUST a cobb downpipe, and I'm surely making more power than that. Remember, the more money you spend for a tbe, the less you'll have for that ap and swaybars you're saving up for. I'm not saying to buy a $100 tbe, but don't buy a cobb dp thinking it'll gain you twice as much power as an invidia, just because it's twice the price. If you're made of money, then that's another story. And +1 for getting an accessport first.

#19 ·
Everytime I mention Invidia wrxroy is there to back me up!

The DP won't make much of any difference in sound unless you go catless, what will decide the sound is the Cat Back. I'd stay away from the HKS DP because of it's crappy design, and stay away from Helix because they have huge backorder problems.

I have the Borla Hush and I really like it. It's very deep, and has a great purr to it. It's not terribly loud, and occaisonally I wish it was a tad louder, but 99% of the time I'm glad it's not any louder (like last night as I was parralell parking in wilkes barre and some old lady came out and yelled at me).

#25 ·
yes its hurting your preformance not helping.

OP in 04+ wrxs you need em to run a tbe. your 06 does not need an up pipe because it comes from the factory with no cat and that is the purpose of the up pipe in previous years to remove this. any name brand is great there is no 'best' brand its personal oppinion on exhaust because its more exhaust note than preformance gains. the gains for all systems are basically the same

#26 ·
csped1108 said:
im in the same boat as Magicman, not sure if i want TBE or Cat-back, if i go with cat-back im thinkin about the borla or greddy evo2...theres a pretty big price diff...any ideas?
cbe is only for sound the stock cbe flows fine until a turbo upgrade you wont see any gains with cbe despite whats advertised

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.