Most practical bolt-on mods to 2008 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

sugeina is an unknown
Most practical bolt-on mods to 2008 wrx

I've done the search for this already and i got bits and pieces of info, which i can make sense of, but still not to an absolute certainty. So, i thought of posting just to confirm my understanding...

I just got a 2008 wrx and i was wondering what the most practical bolt-on mods i need to the 2008 wrx to match the whp numbers of the newer 2009 wrx.

Is the mod guide _THE_ WRX Modification Guide *Complete* applicable for all wrx year models?

In that guide, do i just need to perform mods A to D to match the 2009 wrx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
that guide was 04 so i didnt read it but you'll need just a vf52 turbo, sway bars, springs, tires, aero kit and you'll have an 09.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#3 Old 05-05-2012, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

sugeina is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
that guide was 04 so i didnt read it but you'll need just a vf52 turbo, sway bars, springs, tires, aero kit and you'll have an 09.
Thanks for the reply! How about exhaust mods? No need anymore?
#4 Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Yeah do the exhaust. Minus the uppipe. Not a real need for it as your car doesn't have a cat in the up. Nor is there a huge need for the turbo timer(debatable) but if you want it go ahead.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#5 Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

sugeina is an unknown
Can i skip the guages as well?
There's a turbo upgrade path guide that doesn't mention the need for it: SpeedLab Turbo Subarus Upgrade Path
#6 Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugeina View Post
Thanks for the reply! How about exhaust mods? No need anymore?
Well you can mod whatever you like and you'll see results as long as you tune for it but to make an 09 that's all you need. Everything on the 08 is the same as the 09 besides what I said.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#7 Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Gauges are just a nice thing to have should your car have issues, or if you are tuning. Not life or death to have though.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#8 Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Is the mod guide _THE_ WRX Modification Guide *Complete* applicable for all wrx year models?
That mod guide is not applicable to any model year Impreza. Almost the entire thing is wrong.
#9 Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

sugeina is an unknown
thanks again for the replies, badgrocerygetter and synolimit!

@brfatal, it was posted as a sticky thread in clubwrx.net forums lol
#10 Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Odd, I had them unsticky it years ago.
#11 Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

sugeina is an unknown
the vf52 turbo sounds promising (especially for future mods), but the price is rather steep compared to an advice i got from a another forum: to just get an invidia high flow cat downpipe and tune using cobb or openecu. would that be an acceptable alternative than replacing the stock turbo right away?

(my objective, really (at least for now), is just to match those 2009 wrx's on the straights)
#12 Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
I would get COBB intake, TBE with high flow cat or catless DP, and get a tune. The turbo timer is debated some say yes and some say no not needed, waste of money.

If you want a turbo timer then get one. Or get an oil cooler that will run after the car is shut off. I know for a fact the higher end model cars (Audi etc) use them on their turbo cars. But those are ECU controlled based on how you were driving the car. So a turbo timer might not be a bad idea.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
#13 Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
the vf52 turbo sounds promising (especially for future mods), but the price is rather steep compared to an advice i got from a another forum: to just get an invidia high flow cat downpipe and tune using cobb or openecu. would that be an acceptable alternative than replacing the stock turbo right away?
You know you have to do that stuff and more in order to upgrade the turbo in the 1st place right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbie View Post
I would get COBB intake, TBE with high flow cat or catless DP, and get a tune. The turbo timer is debated some say yes and some say no not needed, waste of money.

If you want a turbo timer then get one. Or get an oil cooler that will run after the car is shut off. I know for a fact the higher end model cars (Audi etc) use them on their turbo cars. But those are ECU controlled based on how you were driving the car. So a turbo timer might not be a bad idea.
Nobody can debate that it's needed because it's not. It's merely a novelty if you want it. Ironically it's more useful for warming your car up (without you having to sit in it) than it is for letting it cool down. Your turbo/oil needs no extra cooling from what it already has and running car after you've come to rest is a waste of gas. Also, running an oil cooler without increasing oil pressure can potentially lead to a replacement motor. The reason those higher end cars have more complicated oil coolers than our cars is because their engines run at higher temperatures. That's why they require synthetic.
#14 Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
You know you have to do that stuff and more in order to upgrade the turbo in the 1st place right?

Nobody can debate that it's needed because it's not. It's merely a novelty if you want it. Ironically it's more useful for warming your car up (without you having to sit in it) than it is for letting it cool down. Your turbo/oil needs no extra cooling from what it already has and running car after you've come to rest is a waste of gas. Also, running an oil cooler without increasing oil pressure can potentially lead to a replacement motor. The reason those higher end cars have more complicated oil coolers than our cars is because their engines run at higher temperatures. That's why they require synthetic.
I am not disagreeing with you that our cars do not need a turbo timer. I stated that the oil cooler is ecu controlled and is very complex. Not something he would want to get into.

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
#15 Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

sugeina is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
This will be my first mod (hence, posting in the newbie section). I was quite happy with stock for a while on our occassional track runs. I just started researching about mods a few weeks back.

So, do you mean that if I upgrade the turbo to VF52, I will need to upgrade the exhaust system as well?

what about alcohol injection?
this guide -> Steps to take when modifying your car | R U Subaru? - Tuning Forced Induction Cars and Alcohol Injection
says it's the #2 step after engine mgt and before exhaust system upgrades...