Modded Daily Drivers - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RyanG is an unknown
Modded Daily Drivers

For all of you modded daily drivers, how many miles a year do you travel? What does Stage 2 do for your gas mileage and reliability?

I drive 30k miles a year for work along plus probably 15k for my own personal use. I am a gear head at heart and am always on the search for more power and think that I would like to do a stage 2 set up IF its not going to hurt reliability and destroy my mileage(which isn't great anyways). So should I mod my DD or look for another car to play with in the spirng.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Mod it. As I have progressed from stage 1 to my tuned 20G I can (when I can control my right foot) get just as good if not better gas mileage than when the car was stock. Think about it, the car has more power carrying the same weight (if not a little less weight considering what you change out on the car; i.e. full TBE) so its doing less "work". Do you do alot of highway driving? If so this is where the car will shine, especially if you use the cruise control. I drove over 5,000 miles a few months ago and averaged 28.5MPG with 320 AWHP. Thats just my rationalization and thought on it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
i have a 04 wrx with xpt stage 2 map with TBE, uppipe. Quick DD yet when i drive it nice i get usually average of highway and town driving 24-27 that all depends how much i wana spool though lol
post #4 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RyanG is an unknown
TBE I imagine is a turbo back exhaust? Sorry guys this is my first go round with turboed cars and basically any import. I was thinking of going with the Cobb Stage 2 package, with the accessport and exhaust. How loud is this, the cops in my state are real pricky about loud exhaust, and I don't want that fart can ricer sound at all. Just a nice low rumble is what Im looking for.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 02:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I run the Cobb TBE (and you are correct, Turbo Back Exhaust). Its a very nice look and sound. The video posted here is without my turbo upgrade which made the exhaust note a bit louder, but not to where it will bring unwanted attention.

**Sorry its not the best video, my friend wasnt very helpful**

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
Stage 2 can net better mileage if you keep your foot out of it. A solid tuned stage 2 is just as reliable as stock motor wise, but depending on the car the tranny can be at risk. All depends on driving style. With both my stage 2 cars I got about 29 MPG freeway at 75 MPH. I wish my sti had an overdrive style 6th.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #7 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
In my 2007 WRX Sedan w/ a 3" TBE, Cobb AP Stage 2 93 Octane map, and one or two pretty insignificant bolt ons and synthetic fluids, it's not uncommon for me to get close to, if not more than 300 miles out of my tank driving what I would consider to be "normally" - mashing the pedal to the floor at least once or more, but usually using half throttle or less and shifting around 3,000 rpms every time I drive somewhere (combined city/highway). I don't know exactly what that works out to be - probably low-mid 20's miles per gallon on average - but it's not too bad for 220ish hp to the wheels. I say mod it to Stage 2 also.

...and since you said you were sort of new to the whole modding thing, I thought I'd throw this site out there for you to check out when you get a chance: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

It's one of my favorites

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
You can make anything into a Daily Driver its how well you do it and how well you take your time and make things are done right on not cheap or cut any corners, My friends GT35r WRX is his only car he has and he has been driving it for almost two years now all year round, yea some things have gone wrong but really just little things like exhaust gaskets blowing and then a valve cover gasket, but he took his time on it and got really good parts and loves his car.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
If you dont want a loud exhaust then dont buy the turboxs catless exhaust that i run. When i really crack on it you can hear it.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown

thats my car
post #11 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

RyanG is an unknown
That sounds good Jed but its definately louder than I would like to have.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

slo2sixty is an unknown
I have a cobb stg3 2002 wrx with 144k on the clock and i get and average of 22-25 mpg. But at WOT in 2nd and 3rd its about 2mpg according to my cobb !Laugh! Even the bigger turbo, injectors and fuelpump dident hinder my gas mileage so i say go for it

02 WRX Now STG 3
92 Ninja 600
Quit crying and be happy. could be driving a mustang - Jujutsuka
post #13 of 23 Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
I have the EVOIII 16G and with a good tune I got from maxwell power. (This is funny) I got 25-26 int he summer but now that the temp dropped to 20-30. I only get 24. but thats just me. and befor the tune I got the same. SO LET THE MODDING START ............ ok Newtothegame do you have the 50/50 BOV??? if so and thats what I was hearing in your video. I think im going to buy one.
post #14 of 23 Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Which video? If you are talking about the one in this thread, just the Cobb SRI w/box. If you look on youtube under: newtothegame1, theres a video with just a TBE and intake, theres one with my new turbo/supporting mods to include a Perrin BPV (fully recirculated), and I now Im running the Cobb XLE BOV in hybrid mod, but dont have a video of that yet.

OP quiet exhausts are something like the Perrin, Cobb, SPT, Borla, GP Moto (and there are a few others, thats are just ones I have either ran or have heard in person).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 23 Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've been Stage2 for about 4k miles. I get the same gas mileage I got when it was stock.

If you stop at Stage2, it should be a fine daily driver, of course, once you feel the extra power good luck stopping at Stage2.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback