Subaru WRX Forum banner

In the market for an wrx

34K views 233 replies 21 participants last post by  sleepr 
#1 ·
Hey all im looking to buy a wrx
I just read the thread about buying used wrx but I wanted to ask a question that wasnt really covered.
What do you think is the limit when it comes to buying high mileage cars?

I was searching and i found these two wrx's

http://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/2829948751.html
( i love the blue) its a 03 wrx but it has 185k miles
-- for $5200 do you think its worth the buy?
-- my limit is between 4k and 6k and i know its hard to find these cars cheap
-- if i do buy with the high miles on it, cant motors just be "beefed" up when things start to go wrong? or will there just be more problems than i can handle

and this
2002 wrx
--i know that bearing dont cost more than a couple hundred, but this may be an indication of possible other problems...?
-- and only $3500 for a wrx, must be somthing seriously wrong right?

Also, what are some common problems and things to look for when buying a used wrx?

Thanks for reading,
Steve

See less See more
#202 ·
A little update for you guys...

So my uncle told me to call this guy and he is a mechanic/dealer and goes to auctions every tues wed. And Friday . People tell him specifically what they want in their car down to the slightest details. And so I told him I wanted a 2004 wrx with low miles, preferably not silver, and good exterior condition. He seems very trustworthy because of the way he refers to other dealers as snakes,cheats,and ignorant sons of b*tches. He says he and his son go to the auctions and check EVERYTHING and he decides whether its worth the buy to fix it up and sell it for a very honest price.
So I told him my budget is 10k-11k AFTER sales tax and he said that these cars are really popular so it should be only a few weeks.

So I hope within the next few weeks ill have my very own WRX!
And I finally won't look like a troll being a member on this site for 4 months and not even have a Subaru!

#211 ·
No worries, not everyone realizes how cool wagons are ;)

Mine does take the fun out of modding, since it's was done 130k miles ago, and still running strong...

I'll be glad to help you with work on your new ride since I'm in the neighborhood. (actually soon to be closer)

#210 ·
So I calledthe guy and he said there is an 04 wrx WRB with 73k miles on it that is at the auction on Friday. He says he is going to go look at it and if its in excellent condition then he'll buy it. Man I effing hope this is the one! I could be driving a subby by next week :)
(Fingers crossed)

#215 ·
Im going to join the legacygt forum but i figured id post it here.

I saw an ad on nasioc for a legacy gt spec b

FS: (For Sale) MA: Unmodified 2006 Legacy GT Spec.B #368 of 500 - NASIOC

Wondering what you guys were thinking. Im looking at it on sunday, but im def going to have my mechanic look at it. The thing that im very unsure of is the fact that someting got into the turbo and it blow the motor and so he got a new motor (2k less than the body at the time).

What do you guys think of this?

#216 ·
That could happen to anyone really BUT do your research on this so called "unmodded" spec B... They are highly sought after.... suprised it's not sold yet

Edit: posted add'l questions in the thread for you. Look at the receipts when you go look

#217 ·
^ went in and saw it.
Lookin out for each other;) You don't see that on many other forums. At least not to our extent.

Man Steven, I hope you park something in that driveway soon, You must be going nuts with anxiousness.

#218 ·
Its indescribable how I feel. My girlfriend gets pissed every time I even talk about a car.
Our convo goes a little like this...

Me: So how was work?
GF: Well the kids were a little out of control today. Heather didnt want to take a nap today and she kept all the other kids up. So of course nobody slept which meant I didnt get to eat lunch.
Me: Omg i cant friggen wait to get my damn car! You dont even know how bad I want this.
GF: WTF

GF: Goodmorning!
Me: Hey sweety!
GF: How are you?!
Me: Omg i cant friggen wait to get my damn car! You dont even know how bad I want this.
GF::nono:

Me:What do you want to do tonight?
GF: I dont know. Lets go see Ted?
Me: Hell ya! Let me grab my laptop and look up movie times.
(grab laptop and sit down)
GF: Pick something around 9pm that way we can get dessert before.
Me: How about I have you for dessert!
GF: Steven, your so bad!
Me: Omg babe, look at this car that I might get
GF::mad:

But hey man thanks for posting in that thread for me. Btw, a teeny tiny piece of me is wanting this lgt to not be the right one. Because if it is, I prob wont be welcome on this forum anymore :( And damn have you guys been helpful!

I really appreciate everyones opinions and help that you guys have provided me.
But I wont go into this car having high hopes, just because I dont want to set myself up worked up AGAIN...

#220 ·
Look at me... a poster child for the "don't let this happen to you" club.

There are plenty of LGT folk on here. Same crap.... body is different.

I still troll everyone here... call it a home away from home.

Good luck and post if you need anything.

#222 ·
Well I went to check out the spec B today.

The car was prob a 7.7/10 condition wise. He had been away so he hadnt had a chance to detail it before I looked at it. However, I didnt see any dents. The only cosmetic things I saw that was wrong was a little paint mark on the back right part of the bumper. I looked at it though and it looks like it could be easily removed with a clay bar and elbow grease. He also said he would bring it to a guy who details cars.

I was a bit skeptical about this but he mentioned it cost $200 and Im hoping its someone who knows what their doing.

Anyways, he popped the hood and there were leaves in it haha. Which to me says that he really isnt a car guy. It was clean and no rust or anything. I ask him about what happened to the turbo and the engine and he told me something along the lines of (i dont remember exactly) "the way the bolt inside the turbo is positioned it doesnt something somthing somthing...."

He said he called Subaru and they couldnt figure out what happened. So he said screw them, then he called his family mechanic and they ended up buying a new turbo that fabricates the turbo so that (again, forgot what he said) "the bolt is positioned in a different position. But this position allows more oil to come out so you prob will smell a little oil"

He showed the papers and he's going to email me them. And ill post them up here, but I saw that he got atleast a turbo and a shortblock.

We went on a test drive, (he drove because Im not confident with my manual transmission driving. Im decent, I just didnt want to crack under pressure and stall or watever haha) So he drove and the way he drove was to my liking. He did a quick pull to show me how quick the car accelerates, but when he was driving normally he shifted pretty quick and didnt really let it get to high rpm wise. So I dont think he really beat on it.

We were on the drive and I say that its a shame this car doesnt have the brembo brakes. He says Im pretty sure it does. And the only thing different from this car and the sti is the body. HAHA hes def not a car guy. I told him that for one, this engine has a short block and the sti has a long block.

But anyways, he has a lein on the car so we have to talk it out with the banks. He is asking for $10,500 but it also needs new tires. But the retail for that is like over 14k! I have like 11k-12k but the less I spend the more I can have for maintenance and mods. Also he says that he replaced everything like 10k miles ago. All the belts, including timing belt and everything.

Im having him bring it to my mechanic who knows Subaru's. And if he says it checks out okay, then I will be the owner of a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B.

#225 ·
You like that huh?
Well heres an update

Me: Hey babe guess what?
GF: Your dying to get your car?
(shes catching on)
Me: No!! I bought you some clothes today!
GF: Really?! Why?!?
Me: Well you gotta look good when your riding in my new ride :p
GF: Go eff yourself.

That was this afternoon. Then I went to go look at the car tonight...

GF: Hey, you wanna come over on the 4th of July? We have fireworks
Me: Can I bring a guest?
GF: Wtf? who?
Me: Stacy
GF: Who the F*** is Stacy? No she cant f***ing come! Wtf Steven.
Me: (Send picture of Spec B)
GF: Goodnight.

Me: Honey are you still mad?
GF: If you say one more thing about cars im not having sex with you for 2 weeks.
Me: Okay im done. Im sorry.
GF: I forgive you. So what are you doing?
Me: Nothing....
GF: Well you have to be doing something...
Me: Im looking up videos of the sound that the car that I am going to buy makes
GF: Wow. I hope you have a good internet connection because my legs are closed for the next two weeks.
Me: :(

#224 ·
^ again, wheres the freakin "LIKE" button!

GL with that thing man, your MT skills will come quick. Its a good thing he didn't pull on every gear or that would be a clear sign to stay away.

#227 ·
Well shes been really good to me during the past 5 months that I have been saving for this car. I told her that I would be saving EVERY PENNY and working 50+ hours a week. So she has survived the long periods of time without seeing eachother. Not to mention not going out at all unless she pays (which didnt happen much because I dont like when a girl pays for me).
Im talking max, one movie date a month! And ice cream every few weeks. Thats it. Rest of the money goes straight to the bank.

So after I get my car. Instead of throwing down money for a cat-back. It will be for a little jewelry for her.

But after that, its back to the real business :p

#229 ·
The difference in a longblock and a shortblock are: short block is the bottom end of the engine without heads (where the cams, valves, and valve springs are) and the long block is the short block with heads attached. That's just a term of how much do you need to buy when buying a engine. The whole engine or just the bottom end. So, in short...both engines are long blocks when fully assembled. I hope that makes sense. Its not the same as a small block chevy and a big block.

Reactions: BLAZE2099
#230 ·
This thread is getting a little off topic about buying a "WRX"

However,
I just had a mechanic look over the 06 LGT spec b I'm looking into buying.

This is what they said

"Check over for sale.
Inspected the car, Found car needs Tires, Rear brakes, almost worn out, Ebrake needs Adjustment and hose clamp needs to be adjusted on intercooler. Checked Car Fax Good 4 owners no accidents. Checked for engine codes, none. Front end tight."

Also, I found out that the turbo filter has "bigger mesh" than the stock turbo. The stock filter is what causes the turbo to blow in these cars. (This was what I am told)

Going to negotiate a price today and hopefully pay for the car Friday or Saturday!

#233 ·
At Meolas getting ice cream.

(I'm finally buying the LGT on Friday or Saturday)

Eating ice cream:

Me: Holding hand up to her mouth to resemble a microphone) So, how is it going to feel to never have to hear me say "omg I can't wait for my car" ?
GF: The same becausenow your gunna say "OMG I love my car!"
Me: Touché

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.