Looking to get an 02 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

xkreedx is an unknown
Looking to get an 02 WRX

Hey my name is Kurtis. I'm looking at getting a 2002 wrx. The one I've been looking at has about 150K miles. I would buy newer but the price is in my budget. Nothing has been modded according to the seller. What types of things should I look for on this car? About how long do these cars last? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Generally, the closer a used car is to stock, the better. Ask about maintenance records and definitely pay close attention to the engine and transmission if you go to look at it and/or test drive it. Every 30k or so is a semi-major maintenance milestone, so make sure all of that has been completed:

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

Obviously, every car is different, but provided that it has been well taken care of, these cars can get up to several hundred thousand miles on them. Here are two other links that you might find helpful:

Car Buying FAQ: read if you are buying/selling/leasing a Subaru or other car - NASIOC

The Used STi Buyer's Guide - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Good luck!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Compression test it before you buy. Other than that, keep on the maintenance and any car can last a really long time.

#4 Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
I would get a carfax report and make sure your gonna get a legit car.
I got mine last year with 83k for 9k the dealer wanted 11 but I talked him down to 9
The car had one owner needed some work but no regrets here.
They hold their value even with high miles.
How much is the asking price?
#5 Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

pasthegray is an unknown
Love my 02, so much so that when I ordered my 2011 I did not even think of trading/selling....as the commercial goes, it will stay with the family. It has 150K miles (mountain driving in snow, salt & gravel) and has had no mechanical problems, in fact it gets 1-2 miles per gallon better gas mileage than it did at 10K miles.

As far as buying a used one, I (who is not a mechanic) find it advisable to pay a mechanic who is familiar with Subarus to give the car a once over...worth $100 or so if you are ready to buy the car otherwise.
#6 Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

xkreedx is an unknown
Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! The asking price is $6500.00 Does that seem pretty fair? I had a compression test done and the car looked good other than AC. I can probably talk him down to $6000.00 because he seems pretty desperate for cash.