Looking at buying my first WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Cobra01 is an unknown
Looking at buying my first WRX

Hello everyone, I'm glad to join this forum. Before I ask my question, I'd like to throw out a disclaimer that per the rules I have used the search feature but not found my specific answer, as well as read the "buyers guide".

Anywho, I found a 2006 WRX wagon with 109,500 miles for $13k. I love the wagon so it makes me excited. I have not test driven the car yet, but just so you guys know, I love in oklahoma so I dig the AWD for the weather. Anyways, this is what the guy has to say about the car:

2006 Subaru WRX Wagon

I bought this about a year ago from a used dealership in OKC. It was completely stock with about 107,000 miles. It now has around 109,500 miles. I have not driven it much because I have a truck for work. I have done all of the maintenance need myself (with the help of others). I changed the timing belt, clutch, spark plugs, transmission fluid, radiator fluid and oil (multiple times). It should be good to go for many miles to come.

Mods:

Centric front rotors
Ferodo DS2500 front pads
Air pump delete
Koyo aluminum radiator with new gates hoses
Invidia bellmouth catless downpipe (wrapped)
turdbo blanket
STI cat-back
TiC transmission cross member bushings
Group N transmission mount
Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings
V-Limited style front lip
Stg 2 tune"

I'll be honest, my knowledge on these cars would be limited at best. If you want to talk Ford SVT I'm good to go. These however, I'm not sure about. I don't know if this is a good price or bad, if there are things I need to worry about or what? I've been told subaru is up there with Toyota in reliability which I solidly believe based on maintenance obviously like any vehicle. But I was wondering what you all thought of this.

Thank you.

Chase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cobra,

Kelly Blue Book is about 10k, Depending on the condition of the car and the level of care taken with the mods it wouldnt be unheard of to pay over blue book.

In this case it sounds like the seller is asking for enough to get his whole modding investment back, Based on my own research for mods to my 13 these are about what the prices for all the mods look like.

Mods:

rotors and pads - 300
Air pump delete -? (Maybe Snorkus delete) - free
Koyo aluminum radiator with new gates hoses - 200
Invidia bellmouth catless downpipe (wrapped) - 300
turdbo blanket - 50
STI cat-back - 500
TiC transmission cross member bushings - 50
Group N transmission mount - 350
Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings - 50
V-Limited style front lip - 100
Stg 2 tune" - 600

If the car was really well taken care of I would put a 11k offer on the table and i would probablly be talked back to 12 for it. the parts list alone doesn't add up to 3k over blue book.

As for the reliability of Subarus in general they are hard pulling till the moment they die, as long as you keep up on the maintenance most EJ blocks are good for 250k miles, The Transmissions will also carry you for hundreds of thousands of miles granted you treat them nicely. From years of experience installing car stereos the only complaint have on older Subarus is that the interior plastic clips,clasps and covers don't seem to hold up as well as the mechanical parts, things like head unit shrouds, speaker covers, and floorboard trim dont like to be manipulated too often, if you do it once your ok but if your replacing the head unit every 6 months the clips stary to wear and crack.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1