Looking to buy a wrx from a 350z - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

tennis_pr0 is an unknown
Looking to buy a wrx from a 350z

So I have always loved sports cars, so I finally decided to get a 350z, a car I have always loved. I have never owned a sports car before, so I figured a 350z in auto would be perfect. Well it is a great car, lot of fun, but I am finding myself wanting something with more power, something I can tune easily and something with manual transmission. So i narrowed the field down to a subaru wrx, 09 or up.

I am going to look around at used ones, but If I don't find anything I might buy it new.
I am very new to this car, I don't know much about it. I test drove it today and loved it though. How does maintenance compare to a car like a 350z? More expensive, less expensive? Also, How is the long term reliability? I know the 350z can go for 200k miles if it is well taken care of, can the subaru do the same?

Last, I am not a fan of the rear end of the car, especially the tail lights. I was just wondering if there are any modifications that you guys are doing to the car, the rear end, to make it look a little less bulky and smoother looking?

Also, any known issued with these cars I should be aware of. Like certain years?

Thanks so much guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

tunertype is an unknown
Turbo car is not as reliable as an NA car. The turbo will probably need replacement before 200k as the bearings will wear out and you will be burning lots of oil. Also it's easy to end up with lean conditions and getting knock which can destroy your engine. Also a manual transmission itself will last longer than an auto, but the clutch won't. Where an auto will probably last 150-200k, you will be lucky to get 100k out of a clutch. it's a fairly cheap part, with a fairly hefty labor charge but not as bad as a tranny replacement.

Turbo cars are easier to tune. with electronic boost control you can basically increase the displacment of your engine with a flip of a switch. Lots of options out there if you don't care about AWD and 4DR's. those are the two main reasons people choose a WRX vs your random 2dr 2 seat sports car.
#3 Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^untrue on NA being more reliable.

Maint is key on charged vehicles.... On ANY vehicle for that matter....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3