Limp Mode? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

08 WRX is an unknown
Question Limp Mode?

I am a new owner of about 2 months now, and I have had issues with my WRX right out the gate. This has been a long string of events and I will try to make it as brief as possible.

CEL came on 2 days after purchase...it was determined by the code that it was one of the O2 sensors (cannot remember which one). Because I live in Cali and bought the car in Nev the dealership wanted me to bring the car back so they could fix the problem. This was difficult since working 6 days a week did not allow me to get there quickly.

After 2 weeks of driving the car with the CEL on the car suddenly started running like crap:
Bogs down and occasionally died when idling with the clutch in. When turn car on it sometimes starts idle at 1500 then drops to around 4-500, sometimes only starts at 4-500. When taking off the car seems to hesitate like its being constricted.

After finally getting the car to the dealership they replace the O2 sensor and then said there was also a problem with the AFR sensor running "retarded." Of course the didnt have the AFR sensor instock anywhere nearby so I had to still drive the car 70 miles home with the CEL still on.

The dealership sent an AFR sensor to a mechanic in my town for me to have them replace it. They did and cleared the CEL and told me to drive it for a few days to see if anything came on.

Right off the bat I could tell that the car was still not running right. It is still doing most all the same things I stated above in third paragraph. I have told the dealership and mechanic and they told me they dont know what the problem would be.

So now with all that out of the way my current question is "Where do I go from here?" I have other Subaru owners tell me my car is running in limp mode? As far as I know everything in the car is stock. It just seems like the car is gutless right now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am a new owner and not much of a gear head in the first place. Let me know if I need to provide more info I will do my best to provide it.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Sounds like its still in limp mode or something. Disconnect the battery and let sit for a couple minutes, then reconnect and see if its still there.

No CEL now still right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#3 Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

08 WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Sounds like its still in limp mode or something. Disconnect the battery and let sit for a couple minutes, then reconnect and see if its still there.

No CEL now still right?

Correct currently no CEL on or any other lights. I will try the battery disconnect and let it sit for 10 mins.

Thank you!
#4 Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Just a minute or two is fine. It may take a little bit for the ECU to reprogram itself after reconnecting and driving for a while, so don't get discouraged if its the same right away. Take a long ride after resetting and post up how it goes.

#5 Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Pull the codes when your CEL comes back. It will come back if it's running this poorly. I would have immediately guessed the primary o2 sensor, but it sounds like they did too and replaced it. I'm surprised the AFR sensor went bad, but it would cause similar problems. There is a whole host of things that could cause this and cause the car to go into limp mode. I would check spark plugs and for any air leaks pre-turbo side. Unmetered air would make it go crazy.

To quickly reset the ECU, remove the negative battery terminal, secure it, set up on the brake pedal for ~10 sec to discharge any left in the system. Then reconnect the negative battery terminal. Does the car idle OK? Does it immediately drive like crap after a reset? Or only when the CEL kicks in?

A well lit photo of your engine bay should allow us to tell you if it has been messed with others may miss.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

08 WRX is an unknown
Reset the ECU via battery, and took the car for a ride but could not go very far or long cause im still at work. The car is still running the same: Idle is all over from 400-1600 when car starts and drops to about 3-400 when i come to stop sign or light. It even feels like its about to die and the stick even wobbles for a second when it does this. Also when accelerating it still feels like the car is being constricted and seems to hesitate when i give it more throttle, especially at around 4500-5000 rpms.

I appreciate any more info and I may be able to provide a pic soon but I wont have access to here the rest of today.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
#7 Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
This sucks for your first subie experience. Don't think all subies are like this, they really are great cars. Hope you get it figured out.
#8 Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Agreed! I've had no problems with mine. Keep taking it back though if resetting the ECU doesn't work. I know it sucks getting it there but you gotta keep records of this BS so if it keeps up you can have a better case. Hope things work out OP!

#9 Old 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

08 WRX is an unknown
Thanks everyone! The CEL still has not come back and it seems resetting the battery is not working. Looks like I will get to take advantage of my handy little extended warranty I got for the car and take it to a shop. Figured it was worth checking here first in case it was something simple and save me some money.

This is my first Subie but I have a few friends that have them as well and they are great cars that's why I decided to go with one.

Again thanks for the info and glad to have this site as a resource now.