Subaru WRX Forum banner

Let's settle this warranty issue for good

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  boostedwagon 
#1 ·
Can the dealership tell that the memory has been flashed by the Cobb AP? A Lot of people on this web site are saying that even though you flash back to stock their dealerships are checking to see, finding out and voiding warranties.

I don't see how they can tell. You could mod your car totally out, later take all the mods off, put back on all the stock parts and they couldn't say anything. They have no proof that you did anything( I know that there would be marks and things so they could ask you, but they would have no physical proof i.e. photos, vids, etc.), Also Subaru advertises a WRX TR. The TR means Tuner Ready and the definition of Tuner Ready is that its ready for you to put mods on no mater what they are (any court car expert will testify to that) and seeing how Subaru advertises the WRX TR by saying its ready for tunning parts (I have seen an advertisement saying just this) means that they could be held liable in court for false advertising . I don't know if Subaru has a disclaimer for this but they probably do. :mad:

What do you all think about this? Has anyone had any problems with their dealerships voiding their warranty and for what reasons did they void it? Also What problems have you all had with getting your dealership to cover their warranty. If everyone contributes to this thread it will help a lot of people decide what they should and shouldn't put on their cars.;)

See less See more
#3 ·
Q. Can a dealer detect that I have an AccessPORT installed?

A. Yes, this is possible unless you use the [Revert to Stock] menu option to load a purely stock program on the ECU. While the vehicle can be serviced by the dealership in the same way as a stock vehicle, and all the Dealer scan tools function 100% the same, the data on the ECU has a marker known as a "checksum". Whenever any data on the ECU is changed, this checksum value must be changed in order for the ECU to operate. If a dealership compares this checksum value against another stock car, the values will be different. If you use the [Revert to Stock] menu option to uninstall the AccessPORT from your vehicle, the checksum on the ECU is now a valid stock checksum. No markers are left by the AccessPORT when using the [Revert to Stock] menu option.

^^From COBB Tuning

I have had my radiator and steering rack replaced under warranty w/ no issues what so ever while on stage 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.