Subaru WRX Forum banner

Launching Method

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  wrx265_8 
#1 ·
Just wondering, ive serched on the fourms and it seems like the best way to launch a wrx is to hold the rpm at about 4k? I tried holding it at 4k and gradually realeasing the clutch (not droping it), i feel a nice jerk but than i think i get engine bog? (car jerking a tiny bit) and than it starts to build up boost. Im just wondering if maybe im not agressive enoughf or am i doing it wrong?

#2 ·
If you're bogging then your RPM's are not high enough or you're not giving it full throttle as you start slipping the clutch.

Be careful, this is a really good way to break stuff. I talked with the guys at DS1 this past weekend, and they assure me that the 09+ transmissions are not any better than the old ones.

#4 ·
Not sure. I doubt Subaru would come out and say "We've made our transmissions stronger b/c our old ones sucked."

Another thing the guys at DS1 said is that the new Legacy 6-speed is not the 6-speed from the STI. It's the standard 5-speed with a 6th gear crammed in the case. And it's still cable shifted.

#6 ·
I rarely ever take off like this, but if I ever want to take off decently, I keep it around 3,000-3,300, start slipping the clutch a bit and then give it more throttle... The key is to not shock load the transmission... Practice my friend, practice. You don't need 4k+ to get going real good.

#17 ·
My attempt at explaining the method that RcrsWetDream has shared:

If you can engage (re: slip) the clutch without any jerk as the throttle is depressed from ~20% to ~45% and then continue depressing the throttle at a faster rate after that, you will be pleasantly surprised at the type of launch that happens (in my humble opinion). Of course, it should be done in an absolute seamless manner (it took me many months to be able to do this perfectly - as quickly as possible with consistency). I also believe it makes shifting quickly and hard into second gear a less frantic ordeal.

Some might consider this to be more difficult because it requires both feet to be precise in the application (right foot) and release (left foot) of pedal pressure (while you are being thrown back in the seat!). I should admit that I practiced holding rpms steady with the right foot and getting a feel for how the clutch engaged before I started doing what I described.

#7 ·
Hmmm so you dont floor the pedal? more like gradually accel?

Another Question, so bogging the tranny is really bad right? Ive done it like 6 times already, should i be worried? Its almost as these transmissions are like glass... the bogging didnt even feel agressive or anything just a slight jerking and no pickup.

lol now im scared to launch my car cause im thinking im going to brake it.

#10 ·
The key is holding RPMs. That's the job of your right foot. Start with 2k till you get the hang of it because mess ups will burn the hell out of your clutch. Higher RPMs will add load to the tranny as well.

Hold the RPM at the level with the gas petal and let the clutch out. If the RPM's drop, you let the clutch out too fast. That's the simplest way to explain it. When done properly, there's a momentary pickup but RPM's never drop below boost levels.

#12 ·
i just thought i would add that if you want to drive it like you stole it make sure you do it resposibly. i have also wondered how to take off getting that 4.7 0-60 just right and i think i just found it the other day.i have tired all different ways but this is the way to get the fastest 0-60. turn off the vcs, rev to 6000, let the clutch out normal pace, once clutch is almost out floor it! you will definitely feel the difference in how quickly the rex jumps . its squishes your face back heh heh . now a caution this is what they call a clutch killer it is alot of strain so i wouldnt recomend doing this without uprading clutch first but if you do feel the need for speed you will get that nasty clutch smell after you done but we didnt get these cars to baby them ! have fun and please do it resposibly

#14 ·
i like holding about 4500-5000. then very fast but very smooth engage the throttle to the floor and disengage the clutch at the same speed. basically a fast smooth 50/50 switch off. the tires break loose a little, there is no shock, no hesitation but pure smooth fast acceleration!

If the trannys are no different or no better than before then people are getting lucky. Im running 1.8 flat 60 foots, others are running 1.8 as well, doing 12.0-12.2 ¼ miles with heavy aftermarket clutches, launch control set to 5500 and flat foot shifting and all doing great.

also smelling clutch isnt wrong! if your smelling the clutch then your slipping it and protecting your tranny. you may need a clutch faster because you could glase it but whats better? slipping and smelling or dropping and boom tranny?

#16 ·
when i first started racing i was launching at like 4k with a slipping clutch

and like synolimit said its ok if you smell clutch, which is easier to replace? a tranny or a clutch?

i put an exedy twin disc in and started using my ebrake to keep from rolling and launch around 5-5.5k now with 1.8 60ft average.

some people say its better to jump the rpms around, i have no idea if this is true or not

anyone know a dif method of getting launch control on a bugeye since cobb is laggin it?

#18 ·
If you want a normal everyday launch that isn't pushing the limits of your clutch and tranny, Hold 3000 rpms while you start engaging the clutch. When the clutch engages the rpms will fall resulting in a slow start with some bog or a stall. To eliminate the bog, you have to compensate for the loss of rpms by adding throttle. She needs more power!! Like others said, you don't need to floor it to accomplish that. Remember that once you start engaging the clutch you shouldnt stop and ride it. I bring it out slow until I feel it starting to bite, then you smoothly apply throttle(I try and hold about 2500 to 3000) while smoothly engaging the rest of the clutch. The clutch shouldnt stop moving. Soon you will see the relation between engaging the clutch and the loss of rpms. The real skill is finding the balance of clutch release speed and throttle control. To do the hardest launch possible simply start this whole process at 5500 or 6000rpm instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.