knowing what you know now, what would you give for advice to me - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By NeverSummer
  • 1 Post By NeverSummer
  • 1 Post By brfatal
  • 1 Post By n8mcd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

bushwickbill is an unknown
Question knowing what you know now, what would you give for advice to me

I just found out today that the 2009 WRX that I bought two months ago is in fact a 2008 wrx. Yes the vin says 2009 but after two very stressful days of trying to get to the bottom of my question, all started by a brand new COBB AP, I now know for sure my car only has 225 HP. It has the smaller turbo on a 2.5 l motor. I paid 19,900 for my car, Plus 3500 for the aftermarket warranty till it hits 200,000 km to time limit, Then taxes. I live in canada, so prices are a bit different. I overpaid for what is now a 2008 WRX. So I am very confused at to what i should/could do. The bottom line Is I am not happy with the amount of power I have for the money I paid. So to increase the power, I will have to void my Warranty. So If I am not going to have a warranty then why dont I sell my car and buy something older that has been modified and had lots of its parts changed out and has the power I am after, Example

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ532566949

I could sell my ride for 17000. I hope. Buy this car. Still have 10000 to fix anything wrong with it. And still have money left over to act as a warranty in case something does break. I really only bought something newer as I wanted the warranty. but have covered that already

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ534906512

Or this fine example. I could buy this. I might lose a grand or two trying to get this one. But I wont have to worry about upgrading or fixing this car.
Since I am very new to suburus this is why I am asking for some advice. i live in a town were we will have alot of snow for the next four to five months. So AWD is a must. I want something safe and fun to drive. If anyone has some advice for me please chime in. As I said to get more power out of my car I will need a DP and maybe a new turbo, injectors etc...and with that I ###### wont break 300HP. And because I am getting close to 100,000 kms à(2 78,000 now) there is the timing belt to worry about coming up, clutch, ball joint, tie rods, I could go on about what things I need to watch out for coming up. i really didnt get a WRX so i could spend alot of time tuning and fixing it. I am 38 years old and dont have the time for that as I have three kids to spend my time with. I just want a fast sporty and safe ride to rip around in when i fell like it. Please only reply if you have something valid to say. I dont need to hear ,
just be happy with what I have!!
Or
get a DP and call it a day!!
etc...
Thanks in advance to all valid advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Go out and buy a 2014 WRX. Then you will have a fun sporty car with no worries of tuning or anything and it will be reliable. No one is forcing you to tune any car you have.
If you don't have the time then you shouldn't buy an older turbo charged car IMO.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#3 Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
Go out and buy a 2014 WRX. Then you will have a fun sporty car with no worries of tuning or anything and it will be reliable. No one is forcing you to tune any car you have.
If you don't have the time then you shouldn't buy an older turbo charged car IMO.
Make sure it's a wrx w the Sti after it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
arewmors likes this.
#4 Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Oh yea good call Dave.
I was speaking from a guy that has less moneys, stand point lol. Wish I had an sti.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#5 Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
I just found out today that the 2009 WRX that I bought two months ago is in fact a 2008 wrx. Yes the vin says 2009 but after two very stressful days of trying to get to the bottom of my question, all started by a brand new COBB AP, I now know for sure my car only has 225 HP. It has the smaller turbo on a 2.5 l motor. I paid 19,900 for my car, Plus 3500 for the aftermarket warranty till it hits 200,000 km to time limit, Then taxes. I live in canada, so prices are a bit different. I overpaid for what is now a 2008 WRX. So I am very confused at to what i should/could do. The bottom line Is I am not happy with the amount of power I have for the money I paid. So to increase the power, I will have to void my Warranty. So If I am not going to have a warranty then why dont I sell my car and buy something older that has been modified and had lots of its parts changed out and has the power I am after, Example

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ532566949

I could sell my ride for 17000. I hope. Buy this car. Still have 10000 to fix anything wrong with it. And still have money left over to act as a warranty in case something does break. I really only bought something newer as I wanted the warranty. but have covered that already

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ534906512

Or this fine example. I could buy this. I might lose a grand or two trying to get this one. But I wont have to worry about upgrading or fixing this car.
Since I am very new to suburus this is why I am asking for some advice. i live in a town were we will have alot of snow for the next four to five months. So AWD is a must. I want something safe and fun to drive. If anyone has some advice for me please chime in. As I said to get more power out of my car I will need a DP and maybe a new turbo, injectors etc...and with that I ###### wont break 300HP. And because I am getting close to 100,000 kms à(2 78,000 now) there is the timing belt to worry about coming up, clutch, ball joint, tie rods, I could go on about what things I need to watch out for coming up. i really didnt get a WRX so i could spend alot of time tuning and fixing it. I am 38 years old and dont have the time for that as I have three kids to spend my time with. I just want a fast sporty and safe ride to rip around in when i fell like it. Please only reply if you have something valid to say. I dont need to hear ,
just be happy with what I have!!
Or
get a DP and call it a day!!
etc...
Thanks in advance to all valid advice.
My question is what raises a red flag about your car being a diff year to begin w? And secondly, were you happy w the performance of the car before you found out the true year of it? I mean a down pipe is gonna make a world of a difference. I say get a Cobb ap. get a dp and cai and call it a day!!! 78k miles isn't bad bro. I say get the mods and enjoy it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
arewmors likes this.
#6 Old 11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Garage
^ probably the best scenario.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#7 Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Or just add a VF52 to the mod path and get it stage 2 with VF52 protuned.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Er, if it was from a dealer I would walk up to the manager and hand him the key. If it was private sale I would sue.
arewmors likes this.
#9 Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
^ honestly that's the way to go, if I buy a newer wrx it's certainly going to be 09+ just because of the bigger turbo, and if someone sold me a car with a 2009 vin number and it was in fact an 08 I would be pretty mad. I would demand my money back and then take my money to go buy a real 09...

With that said, 08 is a nice car and can make good power with stage 2 or even stage 1 mods. If you like the car I would at least call the place that sold it to you and complain and tell them they ####ed up... They may offer you some kind of reparations like some free oil changes or something... At least if they had any good customer service....

At the very minimum I would call let them know... And if you aren't happy with it and want to sell it I would demand refund or threaten to take them to court... There's no reason you should have to lose any money because someone falsely advertised their car.

Maybe the place you bought it from took it in on trade and didn't know someone swapped in an older engine/turbo and ecu.
brfatal likes this.