Subaru WRX Forum banner

Just put in Invidia full TBE... now a weird smell. normal?

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  anxiouz 
#1 ·
so im pretty new to mods and what not. just got my full Invidia TBE installed and flashed to stage 2 with the AP. but now i get this weird awful smell like fumes or something is burning. is that ever gonna go away or should that even be happening?

On the other hand its the Invidia Q300 and sounds better to me than what most sound clips sounded like...Ill try and get something up soon today

#2 ·
Did you get a catless downpipe? If so you may just be smelling the extra fuel/fumes that the cats no longer remove from the system. Also, if it just smells like something is burning it should go away in a few miles of driving as oil and what not can get on the pieces as you work with them. My new exhaust manifolds were smoking pretty good from the anti-seize I used on all the threads and little spots that got on the pipes themselves.

#4 ·
Its very normal. Its the oil or whatever they put on the exhaust when they ship it. Had the same issue when I got my Cobb TBE, should go away in about 100 miles or so, depending on how hard and much you drive.

#5 ·
Because typically we are dealing with mandrel bends, and highly formed metal pieces, it's normal because they use oil to lubricate and cool the metal as the form it. One that has been burnt off it will stop smelling. I had the same awful smell I'm sure when I did the downpipe and exhaust on my car too.

#6 ·
ahahha good to hear i guess....i was gonna put a sound clip of it on but i dont think the vid did it justice, doesnt have that deep growl it has in person.

now im just wondering what mods to do next. not including smokey tail lights, front lip, hella horns. i dont think i want a CAI just yet. maybe some sway bars?

#9 ·
Brakes to me are a bit of a disappointment. They're fine for a dd car, but Subaru kinda screwed the 08+ with 2pot/1pot setup compared to the old 4pot/2pot. They did increase the diameter a bit and it stops very well from 60, but for track use they're less than ideal. Give the car more power and take some braking power away! Plus they don't look nearly as good as the previous brakes did.

#13 ·
It takes about 100 miles for new exhaust pieces to work out their lubricants and powders and what-not. It'll go away since you have a hfc version. However, catless you'd smell misc exhaust forever.

So give it some time and it'll go away. Rumor has it that just taking a long highway drive to get those 100+ miles overwith will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.