Just bought my 1st WRX, Not sure what mods - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By psinuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

TE04wrx is an unknown
Just bought my 1st WRX, Not sure what mods

Brand new here to the site.Thanks for any help you all can offer! I am going to pick up my car from the dealership tomorrow and I have some questions if someone could help about what modifications they can see from the pictures provided. I've noticed that the battery seems to not be in the same place, neither can I located a wind shield washer fluid reservoir. For 84k miles does the car look in good shape at least? The dealer did say that the O2 sensor is non existent so the check engine light will always appear on. Is there a valid reason it wouldn't be installed?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
From THAT pic... just a strut tower brace and a front mount IC and maybe a 3port BCS or MBC

take a few pics of the turbo and downpipe.

welcome BTW

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Sounds like its got a catless DP. That's probably why there's no o2 sensor. I can also see a CAI system, but can't tell what kind. Looks wise it seems pretty decent. Def post some more pics though. Also include one of the intercooler itself in the front bumper.

Paul, these models need a tune for a DP, CAI, and FMIC?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#4 Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Things to think about:

Your 90k/105k maintenance is approaching: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

You typically don't need a FMIC with a stock TD04 turbo, assuming that's what you have. It won't really hurt anything... you'll just experience some extra turbo lag. As was already stated, try to take some pictures of the turbo and downpipe area.

If you're still on stock struts, those will probably be due for replacement in the near future.

The battery would normally be located right behind the driver's headlight, but it looks like it has been relocated - perhaps to the trunk?

Often when an FMIC is installed, the stock windshield washer fluid reservoir is relocated or exchanged for a vertical tube style piece. After looking around your picture, I can't see it either, so either it was deleted or the previous owner did a good job of hiding it.

The stock radiator is known to be a weak point in these cars, especially with higher miles. The end tanks are plastic and prone to cracking. If you plan to keep the car for a while, you might want to upgrade to an all aluminum aftermarket radiator, perhaps when you do your 90k maintenance.

Generally, cold air intakes and atmospheric-venting blow off valves are touchy subjects because they can cause the car to not run properly. Some aftermarket intakes cause the air to not flow past the mass air flow sensor in the same manner that it would in a stock car, so it can be difficult to tune properly due to different bends, turbulence, etc. Atmospheric-venting blow off valves, although they sound cool, cause the car to run rich between shifts and can't be properly tuned for. A recirculating bypass valve is generally the way to go. I can't really tell what kind of intake or valve you have on your car just based on those pictures... but if the car is running poorly, those might be two places to check out.

In pre-2006 WRXs, the stock up pipe came with a catalytic converter in it. Upgrading to a catless version is a safety mod as the stock catalytic converter can break down over time and send bits of shrapnel into the turbo and engine causing potentially catastrophic failure, so that's something to think about too.

It would probably also be important to get some type of protune on the car as soon as possible for peace of mind.

Otherwise, the car looks pretty clean from the pictures. Congratulations!

P.S. - Here's a very helpful link about different mods: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

John
07 WRX
#5 Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, a tune is needed for all that for sure. Didn't even notice the CAI, good catch.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
It's illegal for a dealership to sell that car. A car must be able to pass full emissions and safety for a vehicle to be sellable.

I suggest not buying a car with known problems if you aren't prepared for what you could be jumping into.
#7 Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Don't buy it, why would they sell you a car without a proper tune?
What dealership is that?!?

Brfatal- I didn't know it was illegal to sell a highly modded car.

To the OP- don't buy a modded car, both my 02- and 04 were modded, NEVEAr again!!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#8 Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
As stated there looks to be a lot of things not right on that car. Stock BCS and who the heck paints a belt cover light blue??? Trust me when I say you'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you buy it,
gunk007 and BLAZE2099 like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#9 Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
What dealership is that?!?

Brfatal- I didn't know it was illegal to sell a highly modded car.

To the OP- don't buy a modded car, both my 02- and 04 were modded, NEVEAr again!!!!
It's not illegal to sell a modified car, but it must be able to pass state testing. Missing cats or not having OE-style replacement cats, CEL, exhaust bypasses (EWG or cut offs), etc make a car not sellable unless fixed. A lot of dealerships will only take modified WRX/STI as trade in if you reinstall the stock downpipe for example.
#10 Old 06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

03bugeyeDude is an unknown
my car had the same mods but it passed inspection....... good luck... def should get it tunedd....
#11 Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bump for OP results....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Yeah as others have mentioned it sounds like you may have a cat-less downpipe which is causing the check engine light to be on.

If you don't mind not having a catalytic converter and you just want to get the CEL to turn off, usually a CEL eliminator or defouler will do the trick.

We carry a pretty nice one that works very well. Here's a link to the CEL eliminator we have for your car: Subaru Impreza Weapon R Angled O2 Sensor CEL Eliminator

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#13 Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post

Generally, cold air intakes and atmospheric-venting blow off valves are touchy subjects because they can cause the car to not run properly. Some aftermarket intakes cause the air to not flow past the mass air flow sensor in the same manner that it would in a stock car, so it can be difficult to tune properly due to different bends, turbulence, etc. Atmospheric-venting blow off valves, although they sound cool, cause the car to run rich between shifts and can't be properly tuned for. A recirculating bypass valve is generally the way to go. I can't really tell what kind of intake or valve you have on your car just based on those pictures... but if the car is running poorly, those might be two places to check out.
Maybe i'm blind but I don't see a MAF, it's probably a speed density setup, so a BOV won't hurt anything.

Quote:
No one ever said it wasn't tuned, it could have a perfectly safe tune on it.

To OP:
It's a beautiful car, don't be afraid of it because it's been modified. You should be careful, but don't just pass it by because of a few small mods. Now if it had things going on like engine swaps or big performance rebuilds, then theres more than can go wrong. This car has some bolt ons for sure, but don't be afraid of it. My car had a turboback exhaust, evidence of a fmic and intake when I got it, but the tranny was solid and it ran great, the only thing I had to do was have it tuned, it had an aggressive 19.5 psi tune on it when I bought it with the stock TD04, turbo was in perfect condition though, 0 shaft play and excellent blades on a 70k milage car.
#14 Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If that's an AEM cold air intake (it looks like it might be), I believe the MAF sensor should be located on the back side of the intake pipe just before the blue silicone coupler (facing the upper coolant reservoir). It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it might be there. Whether or not it's connected properly is a different story

(See yellow circle)
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#15 Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
If that's an AEM cold air intake (it looks like it might be), I believe the MAF sensor should be located on the back side of the intake pipe just before the blue silicone coupler (facing the upper coolant reservoir). It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it might be there. Whether or not it's connected properly is a different story

(See yellow circle)
You know it's not you sneaky thing you....

OP-Needs to be in the stock location... just FYI

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3