Subaru WRX Forum banner

Jdm swap with avcs

11K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  03bugeye 
#1 ·
Ok so my stock motor does have avcs. If i buy a jdm that has it, i should be fine and not have to do mods besides the cam pullies. Right? Can anyone help?

#2 · (Edited)
need more info on your car.

if you have avcs in an 03 (i assume 03 from your username) your car already has had a motor swapped. do you have single or dual avcs? is it a ej205, ej207, ej255 or ej257? are you running stock engine management?

#4 · (Edited)
you still left out the year model of your car. you can tell if you have dual avcs the same way you can tell if you have single avcs... there is just two of them. (technically four)

ej20t isnt a real engine code.

source wiki:
EJ20T

This is not actually a valid code from Subaru, but is mostly used by enthusiasts and mechanics to describe the entire line of 2.0 litre turbocharged engines that have been available over time. The practice began with the designation of the USA-spec turbo, commonly referred to as the EJ22T, and the habit of referring to any turbocharged engine as a "T" began. When referring to the EJ20T, one is speaking of one of the following:
EJ20X, EJ20Y, EJ20G, EJ20K, EJ205, EJ207, EJ20H, EJ20R, EJ206, EJ208

find out more about your car and get back to us. the only engine that came in the 2003 usdm wrx is the ej205 non-avcs. if you have anything else in there, you have had a motor swapped.

good luck!

#5 ·
You will need to swap out the crank sproket as well with the intake cam sprokets.
Along with many other parts like the intake manifold, TGV's, coolant flow line, the exhaust manifolds and I believe the uppipe as well and a tune after all is said and done. The USDM is alot different than the JDM so make sure you do your homework before jumping into it.
Its been a while since I swapped mine out but find out exactly what you have first.
Not sure how you have AVCS in a 03 either unless it was put in after words.

Whats wrong with the engine you have now?

#6 ·
Thank u guys for all your info! My car is an 03. I've spoke with the dealer here in albuquerque nm. Gave them the Vin and i was told it was avcs engine. It does have coils for each spark plug. My old motor has a very weak cylinder 4 on compression test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.