Subaru WRX Forum banner

JDM EJ205 Engine swap 02 WRX

2M views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  AllExtinct 
#1 ·
If you buy a early EJ205 JDM engine these are two important things to switch around if you want to be able to start her up!!. :) Im new to this forum.

Attachments

See less See more
#31 ·
For future reference if anyone is still watching:

What years will work?

Ebay has '99-'01 JDM EJ205 as well as the '02-'05.

I know the '02-'05 will work. What about the '99-'01 models?

And I know I'll be swapping parts regardless, but if the IM from the '99-'01 will work, why not use that long block? They are cheaper.

#32 ·
Well most years will work, but I recommend getting a phase 2 motor over the phase 1 motor. Phase 2 had bigger rod and main bearings and the thrust bearing was moved to the #5 rather than the #3 main. Better head gasket sealing in the phase 2 as well. Use the phase 2 heads and intake together as you can't mix and match. If you are unsure of which block it is, look at the intake manifold bolts. If they line up straight front to back then it is a phase 1, if not then Phase 2. Also remember that JDM motors are a year earlier than us, so 01 started the new "world motor" ej205. Also be sure to switch the intake cam gear on the drivers side as well as the crank gear to USDM market parts.

#38 ·
Where is the leak coming from the front of the engine or the side.
Could be a cam seal or could just be a valve cover gasket.
Remove your timing cover if possible and that will give you a better idea where its coming from.
But to answer your question, no you dont have to replace cam seals when swapping cam sprockets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.