jacking for install - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
jacking for install

im about to install a catback and i know this question mind kind sound of stupid, but that is why im posting it in the newbie section. What is the best way about jacking up the the car for more clearance. I was thinking about getting rhino ramps but im pretty sure i could get someone who has a nice jack so there really is no point. What part of the underbody should the jack hit without doing any damage to it? Any info or pics are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

badgerwrx is an unknown
Rhino ramps would be a good idea. DO NOT just use a jack to work under your car. So if you don't want to use the ramps, and going under the assumption that you have a pair of jack stands to work with you can raise the rear of the car by jacking under the rear differntial - aka the "pumpkin". I use a hockey puck to help from putting metal on metal.

Dont forget some safety glasses too and some PB Blaster or WD-40 to loosen the bolts up first (let them soak for at least 20-30 minutes and then it should be gravy).
post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
If you don't have jack stands, go to Lowes or the Home Deport and pick up some cinderblocks. About a buck each, and some scrap 2x4 as buffer between the car and block. Make sure the 2 big holes are pointing up and down and NOT side to side. Also considered much safer than jack stands since it'd be harder to tip your car. If you don't have a fancy jack, you can always use your spare to do each corner of the car... but that gets tiring after a while. Scuffs up your jack too. OCD Oh yeah, put a small 2x4 block between the jack and diff. My front jacking plate is starting to show damage from my floor jack from not doing that.

Yes, safety glasses are a MUST. I can't tell you how much a good pair of those things have saved my eyes whether it'd be at work, construction site, airsoft, or under the car. Skip the crappy Wal-Mart 3 dollar things. Go to the gun section and get shooting glasses. AOS safety glasses are good too. As long as the glasses are ANSI rated. It's scary how easily one of my "toy pellet guns" will penetrate "safety glasses."

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2005, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
what do you mean have the two holes pointing up and down and not side to side? Whats the difference? It sounds like a good idea though...that will be able to hold the car?
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Vew

This is what one looks like.

http://www.afstudios.com/Photos/{B8FE7783-BEFB-473C-9C99-472EAC33B1BD}_cindermain-normal.jpg

The large grey cinder blocks they use on house foundations. They look like a big boxey 8. They're made to hold weight with the holes up and down, not when they're on the side. Think house. Yes, It should hold the weight of your car. Just don't overload, or unnecessary move around on top or in the car.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
this might also sound kind of stupid, i just dont want to do any damage. Im just going to be using the jack that comes with my car...what is the best spot to put the jack so i dont do any damage to the car or the paint. Would right under the side skirts work?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2005, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

silver04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to silver04 Send a message via Yahoo to silver04
Whoa, don't do just any part under the side skirt. You'll bend the frame that way. hahah I know from personal experience that I'm a little embarassed about because I was only 1 in. away from the jack point.

Anyway there are specific jack points right behind the front tires and another set right before the rear tires. If you look under your car with a flashlight you'll see it. The frame will look slightly different there. That part is reinforced and is meant to handle the stress that the weight of the car will apply to them.

You could also just buy a big jack from Walmart or something and then return if after you're done. It really does make the job a lot easier when you raise the car from the rear differential and the front jack point.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Vew

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver04
hahah I know from personal experience
Ditto... Only I used a floor jack

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BangWRX is an unknown
once the catback is off, is it ok to turn the car on to move it? I know ill probably need ear plugs, but is it safe to do or should i just roll it?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

silver04 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to silver04 Send a message via Yahoo to silver04
Sure, it'll be fine. You can run around the block for kicks a couple times too.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-23-2005, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mezo
once the catback is off, is it ok to turn the car on to move it? I know ill probably need ear plugs, but is it safe to do or should i just roll it?
Actually its probably not going to be as loud as you think. I ran mine with an open stock downpipe for a while and you hear it more inside the car then anything.