• 1 Post By mod-it
  • 1 Post By brfatal
  • 1 Post By Scotte549

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Issues with taking a test drive?

I'm a student at a local college, and went in to my local Subaru dealer to test drive a WRX to see how it feels. Basically, they told me that I would not be able to drive one until we had worked out a sale. The reasoning he gave me was pretty unclear, but what I got out of it was that they were selling so well that they didn't want to let anybody drive them... Even though they had about 4 of them on the lot that I saw, plus an STI and a pre-owned one.
I've never interacted with a Subaru dealer, but I've test-driven numerous cars by myself at a variety of other dealerships, and never encountered this issue. Is this something that is specific to this dealer? If so, I'll probably have to end up either driving two hours back home to visit that dealership, or else reconsider the WRX all together.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

dirtydeeds02 is an unknown
I had the same issue, after I put a down payment there was no issue.
#3 Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds02 View Post
I had the same issue, after I put a down payment there was no issue.
Well my issue is that I'm not sure that I want a WRX, and I don't feel comfortable putting a down payment on a car that I've never driven.
#4 Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
It's because you're young, and to them look (not saying you are) like an inexperienced driver and/or someone who's not serious about buying the car.

I dealt with it when younger too. Don't take it personal. It's just them trying to protect themselves from a premature clutch job or more.

Just think, if the dealer let every teen and early twenty something test drive that car, 80% probably either grinding/riding the clutch, after a while that takes a toll. On a car that's gonna sit on their lot for a month+ and say 20+ people most likely doing the same thing, would you want that car? Nope...lol!

I walked in and had no problems getting keys before anything down/signed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#5 Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
It's because you're young, and to them look (not saying you are) like an inexperienced driver and/or someone who's not serious about buying the car.

I dealt with it when younger too. Don't take it personal. It's just them trying to protect themselves from a premature clutch job or more.

Just think, if the dealer let every teen and early twenty something test drive that car, 80% probably either grinding/riding the clutch, after a while that takes a toll. On a car that's gonna sit on their lot for a month+ and say 20+ people most likely doing the same thing, would you want that car? Nope...lol!

I walked in and had no problems getting keys before anything down/signed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I suspected as much... It makes sense, too. Just kind of annoying that they outright lied about it. Thanks for the assistance.
the RIOT act likes this.
#6 Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've found that if you present yourself as a "Grown Up" and as a potential buyer that most dealerships are more than willing to let you take one for a spin. If you talk to salesperson first and let them know that your responsible and you've been in the market for a while they are usually more than willing to let you take em for a spin.

Ive only been turned away for a test drive once and that was entirely my fault, i was out with some buddies in high school (we should have been in class) and we stopped by the Mitsubishi dealer to see if we could drive the EVO 8. We weren't buyers and we were high school boys just looking to go fast. The sales guy saw right through us and told us that he didn't have any we could take out.

If you happened across a dealership that wasn't willing take care of you i just wouldn't give them your money, Im not sure what its like in North Carolina but down in southern California I have 8 Subaru dealerships within 50 miles. I had one tell me they wanted $1,500 over list when I picked up my 5 door. When you find your dealership make friends with 2 people, one of the slaesmen and one of the service technicians. In this world its not what you know its who you know. : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#7 Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

mod-it is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
I've found that if you present yourself as a "Grown Up" and as a potential buyer that most dealerships are more than willing to let you take one for a spin. If you talk to salesperson first and let them know that your responsible and you've been in the market for a while they are usually more than willing to let you take em for a spin.

Ive only been turned away for a test drive once and that was entirely my fault, i was out with some buddies in high school (we should have been in class) and we stopped by the Mitsubishi dealer to see if we could drive the EVO 8. We weren't buyers and we were high school boys just looking to go fast. The sales guy saw right through us and told us that he didn't have any we could take out.

If you happened across a dealership that wasn't willing take care of you i just wouldn't give them your money, Im not sure what its like in North Carolina but down in southern California I have 8 Subaru dealerships within 50 miles. I had one tell me they wanted $1,500 over list when I picked up my 5 door. When you find your dealership make friends with 2 people, one of the slaesmen and one of the service technicians. In this world its not what you know its who you know. : )
Okay, well thanks a lot for the help. I'd like to think I was presenting myself pretty well, but it might just be that it's a college town. As long as it's not like Subaru policy or something not to let the buyer drive their cars. Haha
#8 Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Sounds like a dealership that doesn't want to make a sale.
turmic likes this.
#9 Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
My sales man told me they don't let people test drive brand new wrx/stis on the lot. If they hadn't had a used one then I wouldn't have test drove one. Also the car I bought was on its way from port from the dealer when I bought it, so I couldn't test drive it anyways.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#10 Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Its definitely not a SOA policy, In alot of cases dealerships have been burned by inexperienced drivers costing them far more than gas on test drives, In performance cars a few miles of redlining, launching, and riding the clutch can cause a ton of premature wear on the engine and transmission. I can see both sides, but i would not buy a car if i wasnt able to test drive it first.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#11 Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Scotte549 is an unknown
Garage
Im from a dealership and can see both sides of the story. Its hard cause you can lose a sale but you can also have someone redlining and burning a clutch for a joy ride. I would always go with the person taking the test ride anyway. 9 times out of 10 you can tell if the person is serious or not. The new launch edition wont be available for test drive i know that.
turmic likes this.