Invidia n1 race/street? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

TuckersWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Do you have a blow off valve on your car?
Nope just what came stock with the car

Tucker
2002 WRX
Bugeye Mafia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

TuckersWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Its just weird that you're having After Fires with a Catted DP. Not trying to be a d!ck about it...just trying to explain some stuff.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. It has only happened a couple times and it is around -30 up here in Illinois with windchill, but I don't know how much or even if that would effect it, as I usually let my car run 10 minutes before I drive it.

Also, the after fires are very faint sounding, and only happen on 4th to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd downshifting.

Tucker
2002 WRX
Bugeye Mafia
#18 Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
It's pretty normal for vehicles to run slightly rich during decel just after the throttle plate closes. Most ECUs can't anticipate the actions of the driver swiftly enough to cut fuel immediately when the throttle is suddenly closed.

Some of the extra fuel makes it through the combustion chamber unburned and hits the hot exhaust manifold/turbine housing/cat and then: *Pop! you get a little noise.

This can happen on vehicles with or without a catalytic converter.

I have them happen all the time on my non-turbo vehicle and it's completely safe and reliable. When they happen on turbocharged vehicles before the turbine it can cause a momentary spike in pressure that spins the turbocharger (Which is partly how anti-lag systems work to keep the turbo spooled while shifting). When they happen after the turbo nothing really happens other than a little bit of noise.

If you are having these after combustion events happen violently all the time then by all means have the tune looked at, but if it's subtle and only happens occasionally then It's probably not the end of the world.

Hopefully this helps!
Sub14WRX and TuckersWRX like this.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#19 Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

TuckersWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROImportTuners View Post
It's pretty normal for vehicles to run slightly rich during decel just after the throttle plate closes. Most ECUs can't anticipate the actions of the driver swiftly enough to cut fuel immediately when the throttle is suddenly closed.

Some of the extra fuel makes it through the combustion chamber unburned and hits the hot exhaust manifold/turbine housing/cat and then: *Pop! you get a little noise.

This can happen on vehicles with or without a catalytic converter.

I have them happen all the time on my non-turbo vehicle and it's completely safe and reliable. When they happen on turbocharged vehicles before the turbine it can cause a momentary spike in pressure that spins the turbocharger (Which is partly how anti-lag systems work to keep the turbo spooled while shifting). When they happen after the turbo nothing really happens other than a little bit of noise.

If you are having these after combustion events happen violently all the time then by all means have the tune looked at, but if it's subtle and only happens occasionally then It's probably not the end of the world.

Hopefully this helps!
Thank You, mine is just on decel, and only happens every so often. I am now sure that it pretty harmless as well.
PROImportTuners likes this.

Tucker
2002 WRX
Bugeye Mafia
#20 Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
My car makes too much and too many noises. It'd have to be something new for me to notice it. lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
@DB_VW

Not to get off topic but if you are running any setup and getting backfires or afterburns it is time to take your car to your tuner and make some adjustments. Backfiring is terrible for your engine and after fires are a sign of wasted fuel and bad AFR which means wasted power.

Any time you make a significant modification to the system its time for a tune. up-pipe, down-pipe and exhaust definitely needs a tune. and if you are running your stock tune that might explain the rich condition escaping out the exhaust pipe, especially if you have a cat-less down-pipe that's not burning the extra fuel on its way out.

/dad rant/ please take your car to a tuner and have them fix whatever is causing the backfiring/afterburning. Both are bad for your car and I hate seeing nice cars on the side of the highway ON FIRE / dad rant/
Hi - to clarify I do get after burns. Only when I'm decelerating.

My current set up is - invidia catted DP, invidia N1 exhaust, Cobb short ram intake, and Cobb AP with the Cobb stage 2 w/ intake map.

It only really happens when I'm decelerating and at lower RPMs, 1500 or less. I always assumed, as it has been mentioned, it has to do with the enormous exhaust tips I have, and the heat hitting the cold air etc.

It only started happening after the exhaust broke in(about a month or two of regular use). Once it was broke in, it became MUCH louder - and that's when the after fire happens. Its a "popping" noise, but its not shooting fire or sparks.

I am by no means a mechanic, but I regularly check all my fluids and I haven't encountered any problems (except for over boosting once and that was do to me holding it middle throttle and then jamming on it - my own fault-). I haven't burned a drop of oil, and it doesn't seem to be running rich to me, this isn't my first boosted vehicle and my last ride was running rich and you could smell the fuel if I jammed on the throttle and you were behind me.

Getting a protune... is difficult because no one in my area does it - except for a few places a couple of hours away. And they specialize in rice burners and big block vehicles.
#22 Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
^ you could look into getting an etune. Just a thought.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ