Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Invidia n1 race/street? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/invidia-n1-race-street-43378/)

Herojuana 01-04-2014 01:11 AM

Invidia n1 race/street?

Ordering a invidia n1 catback for my 2014 hatch. On rally sport it doesn't say if the n1 exhausts are street or race. Someone clarify!

brfatal 01-04-2014 03:47 PM

Be careful. Because it's a hatch sound tends to resonate in the cabin far more than it does in a wagon. Any exhaust you get will be louder and drone more evident. Invidia N1s are famous for both.

DB_VW 01-16-2014 12:23 PM

I have the N1 in my sedan.

Hope you like loud, because it is. Drone? Oh #### ya.

When your putting around 2500RPM or less it coughs a little bit when you take your foot off the gas, and drones pretty good. But put some heft on the gas pedal and it roars like a lion.

I love my exhaust, sometimes I wish it was a little bit better made (less backfireness), but that just comes with the territory, anything that isn't equally loud... just isn't as much fun haha!

arcticscythe 01-16-2014 12:53 PM

Herojuana,

In NY almost every aftermarket exhaust mod is considered "for off-road use only" (all turbo backs, some cat backs and even some axelbacks) if you are strictly following the books then leave your exhaust stock.

That being said the laws regarding exhaust mods differ by state, a quick google search would suggest that under Section 375: Subsection 31 "any modification to the exhaust system that would amplify the noise above the OE installed system" would be in violation.

That being said most officers are very lax when it comes to exhaust laws so long as your not WOT at every red light and you are not making so much noise that your waking up the whole neighborhood. If you are looking for a performance exhaust without a ton of extra noise i understand the MADDAD WHISPER is pretty quite relative to the other performance options available.

Personally I would run your stock exhaust until your ready to upgrade the intake, down pipe and STAGE 2 tune or protune.

Sub14WRX 01-20-2014 01:06 AM

This is exactly why I went with a Tsudo CBE. Nice and deep/Loud but really no drone. Unless your flying on the parkway/highway you get a little drone.
80MPH+ i'd say.

TuckersWRX 01-26-2014 10:18 PM

[quote=DB_VW;424433]I have the N1 in my sedan.

Hope you like loud, because it is. Drone? Oh #### ya.

When your putting around 2500RPM or less it coughs a little bit when you take your foot off the gas, and drones pretty good. But put some heft on the gas pedal and it roars like a lion.

I love my exhaust, sometimes I wish it was a little bit better made (less backfireness), but that just comes with the territory, anything that isn't equally loud... just isn't as much fun haha![/quote]

I was thinking of getting the N1 for my 02 bugeye. I have a Borla Hush on right now, and I want something louder.

I also have a catless up pipe and cobb catted downpipe so how loud would this thing be?

Also, hows the backfiring when you let off the throttle because I can faintly hear it now with my current exhaust and would like to really hear it pop, so would this exhaust do the job?

turmic 01-27-2014 09:56 AM

[B]After-fires[/B]...and how do you have after-fires now? No tune?

brfatal 01-27-2014 11:01 AM

[quote=TuckersWRX;428178]
Also, hows the backfiring when you let off the throttle because I can faintly hear it now with my current exhaust and would like to really hear it pop, so would this exhaust do the job?[/quote]

*After-fire, as pointed out above.

And you know those are a bad thing right? It means your fueling is off.

arcticscythe 01-27-2014 12:07 PM

@DB_VW

Not to get off topic but if you are running any setup and getting backfires or afterburns it is time to take your car to your tuner and make some adjustments. Backfiring is terrible for your engine and after fires are a sign of wasted fuel and bad AFR which means wasted power.

Any time you make a significant modification to the system its time for a tune. up-pipe, down-pipe and exhaust definitely needs a tune. and if you are running your stock tune that might explain the rich condition escaping out the exhaust pipe, especially if you have a cat-less down-pipe that's not burning the extra fuel on its way out.

/dad rant/ please take your car to a tuner and have them fix whatever is causing the backfiring/afterburning. Both are bad for your car and I hate seeing nice cars on the side of the highway ON FIRE / dad rant/

PROImportTuners 01-27-2014 03:09 PM

The N1 is a bit on the louder side. If you're unhappy with it once you run it for a bit let me know and we can hook you up with a Q300 witch is quieter but still has a nice deep tone when you get on it: [url=http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts/subaru/impreza-q300-exhaust-system.html]Invidia Q300 Exhaust System 13 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 Subaru Impreza[/url]

Pops/Backfires/Afterburn/Heartburn/Fireflies whatever you want to call them can be completely normal depending on the design of the exhaust. They happen often after throttle snap or closed throttle decel due to a slight over rich condition.

The OEM exhaust system usually keeps people from hearing them (That is it's job after all: to Muffle exhaust noises). It's highly unlikely that your car will be damaged by this completely normal behavior.

Catch fire? Really? I have never seen this happen. Please provide pics :D

arcticscythe 01-27-2014 03:44 PM

Back in the VW air cooled days, after burn would cause flames to spit out in all directions from the exhaust directors, had to put out fires twice thanks to after-burn on carburated VW off-road bugs. that's why its in the /dadrant/ cause its something i had to deal with under the close supervision of a caring father.

Not as much of an issue with modern platforms but still etched into my memory.

turmic 01-27-2014 04:35 PM

Back fires would be coming out of the Intake side...which is why that's really messed up. Coming out of the exhaust would be After-fires or After Burns. Just explaining why back fires is the wrong term.

TuckersWRX 01-27-2014 04:39 PM

[quote=turmic;428346][B]After-fires[/B]...and how do you have after-fires now? No tune?[/quote]

I just have a Cobb Accessport V2 with a IA Performance Map loaded right now (put on by last owner). I have not had my car long, so I am going to try to learn how to use my Accessport to change the tune if I like before I do anything. It rarely After fires and realizing this is a bad thing I don't think it's that bad on my car now. Only time it after fires is when downshifting, and it rarely happens like I have said before.

Sorry for sounding like such a newb at this I am still learning everyday about this stuff.

turmic 01-27-2014 04:45 PM

Its just weird that you're having After Fires with a Catted DP. Not trying to be a d!ck about it...just trying to explain some stuff.

boo-key bear 01-27-2014 04:52 PM

[quote=TuckersWRX;428698]I just have a Cobb Accessport V2 with a IA Performance Map loaded right now (put on by last owner). I have not had my car long, so I am going to try to learn how to use my Accessport to change the tune if I like before I do anything. It rarely After fires and realizing this is a bad thing I don't think it's that bad on my car now. Only time it after fires is when downshifting, and it rarely happens like I have said before.

Sorry for sounding like such a newb at this I am still learning everyday about this stuff.[/quote]

Do you have a blow off valve on your car?