Introduction (Project Details) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GTOguy is an unknown
Introduction (Project Details)

How you guys doing? As you can see, I do not own a WRX. I however, will be looking to pick up a low mile 06 in the summer to use as a donor car. My project is a 9 second Factory Five 818. The car weighs 1,800lbs and uses all the suspension and running gears of the WRX. Here are some pictures of the kit.

818 Sports Car Introduction Video - YouTube

Question time- As a complete and total newb to the WRX and boxer engines in general I have no idea how the market is for aftermarket parts. So if someone would be kind enough to answer some questions that would be great!

1-What are good sites for aftermarket engine parts?
2-How hard is it to squeeze around 400-450whp out of the 2.5 turbo?
3-What are good transmission mods to handle the power?

The kit can be completed for $15K. I'm getting a $35K loan this summer. So will I even be able to come close to my HP goal with around $16K thrown at the engine and trans? Like I said I'm a complete and total newbie when it comes to boxers (always been a V8 guy) so sorry for all the questions. Thanks to anyone that can help! Also, this car will be 100% street legal. So drive-ability is a huge factor!

GTOguy

Not a Caviler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
There is a year waiting list to get that kit, have you ordered it already? If not you'll probably have to wait even longer come next summer.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 14 Old 12-11-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GTOguy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
There is a year waiting list to get that kit, have you ordered it already? If not you'll probably have to wait even longer come next summer.
Not yet. Waiting to get the loan. If the waiting list is really that long, that suck. I'm a really impatient guy when it comes to getting stuff I ordered haha.

Not a Caviler.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
1-What are good sites for aftermarket engine parts?
Cobb, Perrin, Grimmspeed, Invidia, Deatschwerks are just a few of the specific companies who supply to Subaru. Their are several web sites and speed shops all over the places who can order the parts or you can go to their sites and order the parts you need want.

Quote:
2-How hard is it to squeeze around 400-450whp out of the 2.5 turbo?
Not hard at all. Turbo, fuel, air and a tune on a newer 2.5 and you should be getting close. Toss in some exhaust with a side of injectors topped with a healthy portion of patience.

Quote:
3-What are good transmission mods to handle the power?
Now, im going on some Google research on this. I've seen and heard Subaru trans are capable of handling 400HP bone stock.

I'm not an expert on these items. I however have done piles of studying for my own car and am working towards those numbers myself. To eachs own on which parts you want to buy. Some are better then others and some are just buying a name in my eyes. If you do have a year to wait, you have plenty of time to read forums and attend meets to ask questions.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
post #5 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GTOguy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkas View Post
Cobb, Perrin, Grimmspeed, Invidia, Deatschwerks are just a few of the specific companies who supply to Subaru. Their are several web sites and speed shops all over the places who can order the parts or you can go to their sites and order the parts you need want.

Not hard at all. Turbo, fuel, air and a tune on a newer 2.5 and you should be getting close. Toss in some exhaust with a side of injectors topped with a healthy portion of patience.

Now, im going on some Google research on this. I've seen and heard Subaru trans are capable of handling 400HP bone stock.

I'm not an expert on these items. I however have done piles of studying for my own car and am working towards those numbers myself. To eachs own on which parts you want to buy. Some are better then others and some are just buying a name in my eyes. If you do have a year to wait, you have plenty of time to read forums and attend meets to ask questions.
Sweet, thanks for the info. So you think $16k would get me there? Like I said, I'm a newb so I have no idea what parts run.

Not a Caviler.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
You should be able to do it with that budget. As long as you don't go crazy. Just make sure you look into the mods your doing first.

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Just keep digging through the website and keep asking questions once you start your build. If your doing it yourself. Their are plenty of people on here who more knowledge of subarus then humanly possible. I feel bad linking from another forum, but thats where I got my start and now I'm here where the people are actually helpful and nice about the information they give.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
post #7 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
With 16k to spare, you're going to be using a good portion of that on the donor.
An 06' with low miles will run you 12-15k alone.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #8 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
While Randy's busy being the voice of reason, I'll be the little devil on your shoulder - I think you should dive head first into the project and see what happens! Please keep us posted if you decide to move forward with the build.

Keep in mind, if you're savvy, you can sell the parts you don't use from the donor car and make a good portion back.

http://autos.yahoo.com/video/factory...180853978.html

John
07 WRX
post #9 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Not yet. Waiting to get the loan. If the waiting list is really that long, that suck. I'm a really impatient guy when it comes to getting stuff I ordered haha.
Yes it's a year wait to even order the kit itself. If your wanting a 9sec car on that kind of budget drop a LSx in a Fiero.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #10 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GTOguy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
While Randy's busy being the voice of reason, I'll be the little devil on your shoulder - I think you should dive head first into the project and see what happens! Please keep us posted if you decide to move forward with the build.

Keep in mind, if you're savvy, you can sell the parts you don't use from the donor car and make a good portion back.

Yahoo!
I fully plan on selling anything I don't use. I'm really excited for this and will start a build thread. The year wait is worth it in my eyes. This is the ultimate sleeper. Will be awesome! Thanks for your support.

Not a Caviler.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Yes it's a year wait to even order the kit itself. If your wanting a 9sec car on that kind of budget drop a LSx in a Fiero.
Awful, just awful Keith - even though I know you're saying this in jest. The torque and weight of that LSx will tear apart that little Fiero and will overwhelm the chassis.

That kit car with a stock WRX or STi powerplant will tear up a track because of it's low weight. It really doesn't need big power to be amazing.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
post #12 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GTOguy is an unknown
Oh yea. There is a video of it tearing up a track and taking the W. It is simply awesome. I can't wait to line up with a Vette or GT500 and absolutely destroy them haha.

Not a Caviler.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
Awful, just awful Keith - even though I know you're saying this in jest. The torque and weight of that LSx will tear apart that little Fiero and will overwhelm the chassis.

That kit car with a stock WRX or STi powerplant will tear up a track because of it's low weight. It really doesn't need big power to be amazing.
No it won't. People have been putting V8 motors in Fireo's for 20 years or more. They make kits for doing just this. No frame mods needed. Just make sure you use the V6 trans rather than the 4cylinder.

The 818 is like trying to reinvent the wheel and ,as like all others before it, doesn't.

If you want a good car for drag racing, buy something besides a kit car you'll thank me later. If you want a good road course car, then buy a 911.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #14 of 14 Old 12-12-2013, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I thought of doing a fiero/Lamborghini kit with big American muscle under the hood. Would be really interesting. And I can get a body kit for around 5-6k installed

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement