Subaru WRX Forum banner

Internals

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GSMNZ 
#1 ·
Alright so I was looking for advice as to how I should make my engine stronger. It is a 06 wrx with the stock ej255 and it has 140,000 miles on it. I am not too familiar with engine internals so I wanted to see what I need to get. I plan on adding a lot of power with the fp 71 hta turbo, Perrin turbo inlets, walbro 255lph fuel pump, Deutschwerks 1000cc injectors, Cobb access port, STi tmic that I have sitting my room. I also wanted to get your guys .02c on stronger gears for my transmission. I have looked at the ppg gears and they are crazy expensive but I don't know of any other brands that are pretty strong. And I have herd of the STi swap but I'm not too interested in that one because I like the 5 speed so if you had any other suggestions for a swap that would be great.

#3 ·
Internals to me sounds like inside the engine, which would require an engine rebuild.

Stronger internals are forged pistons, STi connecting rods and head studs.

If you are talking only about bolt-on upgrades, it's best to start your planning with a target power level and budget. I'd do this jointly with a performance shop for best results.

I've upgraded the internals of my engine when it spun a bearing, and am now considering a modest turbo upgrade to got to Stage 3 power.

#4 ·
With that Turbo you are looking at a Front Mount Intercooler.

Check out BuiltEJ.com

I will be building up my shortblock in a month or so and have a quote from them on all the parts @ about $1700.

As you should know you will need a tune. Another good mod that is at no expense to you if you are capable is the TGV delete.

#5 ·
Okay so would the forged Pistons and STi connecting rods and new studs be all I need with a rebuild? As for a fmic I know ets and Perrin are pretty good intercoolers but they are up there in price so do you guys know of any cheaper ones that are total pieces of crap? And yes I plan on getting it protuned.

#7 ·
For a full rebuild you need Studs, Rods, Pistons, Main Bearing, Journal Bearings, Crank (optional unless yours is found to have damage) and a full gasket set.

While your at it you should do timing belt kit and water pump.

TGV = Tumble Generator Valves. These are between your intake manifold and your shortblock. They are where your injector go into. By removing these you improve flow.

Email mike@builtind.com and ask for a quote on all the parts to rebuild your shortblock and tell him what HP you are aiming for. That might change your mind on some things.

After I got my quote I sent it to my tuner to verify.

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.