Intake Without Tune For 700kms - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Myz
WRXtuners Member

Myz is an unknown
Intake Without Tune For 700kms

Hey Guys

I'm totally new to Canada, Subaru & E-tunes so i'm looking for guidance.
I drive a DGM 08+ WRX Sedan which I purchased new last Nov.
It now has 6000kms on the clock & I've recently installed an AEM intake.
I've been driving with this mod for the passed week.

I also have a cobb AP but havn't installed it yet.
I'm wondering if i should install & load Stg1 Map or wait til I do the rest of my mods.

My concern comes from the fact I'll be driving approx 700kms next weekend to get my exhaust & DP installed. Since installing the intake, my car hasn't thrown any CEL codes or given any hassles so I'm not sure if i have reason to be worried or not.

Please offer some guidance
Thanks

p.s. I've spent the passed hour & a bit searching the web & this forum & finally decided to register here to get a definitive answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would wait to flash the ecu, even then, you'll be better off with a custom tune to make sure the intake is accounted for and not doing any damage. Word on the street is AEM and Perrin intakes don't mess with the maf readings, but it really hasn't been proven. I drove on my Perrin intake and stock mapping for about six months with no ill effects.

-Chris
#3 Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Myz
WRXtuners Member

Myz is an unknown
Thanks for the reply buddy.

I bought the intake from a dude that had it in his car for approx 15000kms without a tune & he had no issues.
I was just concerned about doing such a long drive without a tune.
p.s. I'm planning to do a custom tune after all my mods are done
#4 Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myz View Post
Thanks for the reply buddy.

I bought the intake from a dude that had it in his car for approx 15000kms without a tune & he had no issues.
I was just concerned about doing such a long drive without a tune.
p.s. I'm planning to do a custom tune after all my mods are done
I have an 09 WRX with a K&N Typhoon. Car is used for company travel. I drove it about 3000 miles without a tune with no issues. I installed an AEM UEGO and the AFR was very close to what Cobb noted on there 09 test car. I have data logged alot. In stock trim these cars run very lean (around 14.5:1) up to 4000RPM then transistions to OL between 4000 and 4500 RPM where it will run around 11.4:1 AFR to redline. This is the way they are designed. That's why you fill that strong pull come in around 4000 RPM, its the fuel dumping into the engine, not the boost.

I think my setup was pretty safe overall with out a tune; however, there was a lean spike at around 4000RPM. I ended up running a OTS XPT AEM CAI stage one tune that has been tweeked for the K&N. This set up is VERY SMOOTH. No bump in the RPM range any more. Very consitent AFR.

XPT offers the Stage 1 tune for the AEM CAI all you need is a tactrix and your good to go.

Will you be okay without a tune? I feel pretty confiedent you will, but have it checked out. Will you get much benifit from the CAI with out a tune, probably not. The ECU in stock form has a hard time with consistant ignition timing with an after market installed.

I hope this helps.
#5 Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Actually, anything below 14.7:1 is rich. It's not VERY rich at 14.5:1, but it IS rich. Ideally, the car will be fastest at 14.7:1 at a perfect stoichiometric ratio. The chance of something small making the car go lean is why you don't want to be there at 14.5, but that's not lean. You're not feeling fuel. You're feeling the surge of the combination of boost and fuel, as there's more air in each cylinder and then the ECU adds fuel to try to match the air.

The reason you're getting more power is because the amount of fuel combusted with the increase in air is actually like having a larger motor. It all comes down to "volumetric efficiency." You're moving a greater quantity of air, adding fuel, and combining that with a controlled spark. You have to have all 3 to have fire and therefore, power.
#6 Old 08-07-2010, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
I believe you will make more power running in the 12:1 range rather than 14:1-7 range. On 09 WRX the boost is fully build around 3500 RPM, when the car is under full boost and the ECU goes open loop the power comes on. I believe it allows for more ignition timing advance and therefore more power. Without the fuel the power would be much flater.

Atleast that was my experience.