Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Installing a factory WRX spoiler: A newbie's guide (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/installing-factory-wrx-spoiler-newbies-guide-32838/)

Kv12WRX 08-01-2012 05:20 PM

Installing a factory WRX spoiler: A newbie's guide

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I recently made a post about adding the factory spoiler onto my 2012 WRX and noticed that the thread had 225 views...this simple process is overwhelming complex for a newbie to accomplish, so I want to put out my experience for others to save time.

Bottom line, 2 factory spoiler options exist for a WRX: STI wing (extravagant) or standard WRX deck lid with brakelight (very mild). The first thing to do is order a spoiler from a standard factory piece site such as subaruonlinepart.com or subarugenuineparts.com (having a body shop order it will cost more for them to do the same thing you will). The 2008 model works for up to 2012, even though often sites say only up to 2011. The main difference is the STI wing comes UNPAINTED while the deck lid comes pre-painted in Subaru standard paints, so unless you feel like painting or paying a shop more cash, order the deck lid. Alternatively, you can also do a "trunk swap" with someone locally who may want a blank trunk (very desired these days) or if they have the STI wing and you have the deck lid, etc. Check local sites and forums if you have that kind of patience (might be able to score a free spoiler...save you $300).

Body shops on the East Coast here wanted about $150 to install this spoiler once I ordered it, to only take them 30 mins work. I found that to be insanity, but I had little (ok none) exterior installation experience. Mid day yesterday I said to hell with it, I'll do it myself. THIS CAN BE INSTALLED YOURSELF EASILY, but I learned a few things in the process:

About 14 holes had to be manually drilled into my trunk, and I simply used my Hitachi hand drill to do it. Other than buying the drill bits needed, the main difficulty was underestimating the power I would need. have at least TWO drill batteries ready (I had to cover my trunk with tarp last night because I drained my batteries with only 2 holes left to do. The instructions come with a handy hole drilling guide that you tape to your trunk, and just drill right over the guide...BUT always start with a small bit (6mm) and work your way up slowly (6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10mm). Trying to advance to far ahead in diameter is a waste of human and precious drill battery power.

The instructions claim to put a "rust preventative" over the drill holes before slapping on the spoiler, but they failed to include such a product (wtf?). No hardware or automotive shop knew what they meant, so I decided to use a sealant (used for windshields, etc) to properly hold the pieces in and hopefully prevent any leakage. Because this spoiler lays flat against the trunk, I dont think rusting or leaking will be an issue, but only time will tell.

The complex electrics to hook up the light is literally a plug that you attach inside the back trunk (underneath the carpeted covering). My lamp at home is more complicated than that was...

Be sure to have a 10mm deepsocket wrench to tighten the nuts, as a regular wrench won't fit in the holes provided to tighten.

This was just highlighting the only few complications that arose when I installed this, but for any other newbie wanting to install your own spoiler, you CAN easily do it yourself. Save your $150! Please reply any other questions you may have about the process or feel free to e-mail me at [email]ecilento@uvm.edu[/email]. Good luck all!

09bluewrx 08-01-2012 09:28 PM

$150!! Yea some probably would have charged more lol. I know cause i do body work for a living. Definitely not cheap. But i get my own work done for free and i treat all my buddies right and get them good deals on everything :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Kv12WRX 08-02-2012 07:49 AM

[quote=09bluewrx;283410]$150!! Yea some probably would have charged more lol. I know cause i do body work for a living. Definitely not cheap. But i get my own work done for free and i treat all my buddies right and get them good deals on everything :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App[/quote]

09bluewrx,

Drilling into my brand new trunk reminded me of first year med school when I first cut a scalpel into a cadaver...about 15 minutes of shaking definitely occurred before I even made a 6mm hole...it's a very wrong feeling BUT after it's all said and done, I feel so much more in control of my ride now :) I think I have the courage to do more things on my own now!

Since you do body work for a living...have you heard of this "rust preventative" the instructions referred to? No one I talked to seemed to have a clue...

newtothegame 08-02-2012 08:36 AM

Congrats on getting that spoiler put on. I do body work on helicopters for the army (fiberglass and sheet metal repairs/manufacturing). They possibly could be talking about acetone. We use it when working on metal. It restores or puts on a protective coating to the metal after you have cut and drilled on it.

09bluewrx 08-02-2012 04:09 PM

The lubricant you are referring to is almost like a white lithium grease. When i put ny nismo spoiler on my sentra specv it came with a littke packet of it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Kv12WRX 08-21-2012 07:44 AM

Thanks again everyone for your input. Quick update: We have had some record downpours here in the Northeast and not a single drop of rain has leaked through! So, the sealant works at least in the short term.

gs.clifton 06-07-2013 12:41 AM

Does the center of the trunk have any holes? im looking to sway my WRX spoiler for an STI wing.