Subaru WRX Forum banner

IF i get a pro tune

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rodrigoferrari 
#1 ·
i have a 08 rex, all stock, what kind of power would i be looking at gaining with a pro tune?

#2 ·
it all depends on if you get it street tuned, dyno tuned or if you get a handheld tune like the Cobb Accessport. Also, it will vary depending on what supporting mods you would add before you get it tuned as well as how much you turn the boost up when you get it tuned. I will have the stage 1 map on the Cobb AP at 16psi (stock is 13psi) with a catback exhaust and a cold air intake and i will be running about 270whp and 300ft-lbs on my 09wrx. If you get what I have, you will not be quite at those numbers since your turbo and setup is different from mine. Perrin's website has dyno sheet pics of cars with their staged tunes on there and you can also consult a tech via email. That's what I have been doing and learned alot about what my car can handle and its helping me decide the order of the mods I will do to my wrx.

#3 ·
Stage 1 isnt really about adding alot of power to the car. It really just gets rid of the crappy factory tune. But in turn it does give you little more power. It leans out the factory rich tune, makes the car "smoother" to drive and helps with the throttle response the most.

#5 ·
So my local subie friends are talking about tuning. Knoxville Subaru Owners Club (KSOC) 2010 Meets!!!!!! - Page 7 - NASIOC Can you guys check out this link (post#155) and tell me what you think? Is that a good price? Anybody ever heard of this guy? A couple of dumb questions. I dont have an AP or anything. My car is pretty much stock performance wise except for an intake. I would just like a stage 1 type tune for now. Could I get some sort of record of my stock tune just in case I want/need to return stock? If I get a AP can I flash directly to stage 2 (with supporting mods) or do I have to get retuned back to stock before I could tune with an AP? Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Price seems reasonable, and I have heard of the company, but know nothing about them honestly. If you dont have an AP and you get a stage one by either opensource or an ECU flash more than likely your ECU will be lost and you wont have anywhere to really store your stock map (from my understanding, unless you take your own laptop). So if you do this you cant buy the AP and go to stage 2 as the AP wont be able to be married to your car.

#9 ·
So if you do this you cant buy the AP and go to stage 2 as the AP wont be able to be married to your car.
You sure about this? I don't see why the AP should care what map is on your car before you marry it. I don't think open source tunes remove anything from the car, they just update values. Either way, if you want to keep your stock tune I'm sure you can bring a usb flash drive or something and they'd save it for you, it would take them like 30 seconds.

#7 ·
Generally, IF you as your tuner, he can save the stock mapping and give them to you via email or on a cd, but if you've already gone stage Iish then your stock settings are long gone. The only way the AP is able to do it is because it logs the stock setup before you reflash to a different stage.

#8 ·
Exactly. If you get the AP, it will store your stock map on it for whenever you would want to go back to stock (warranty issues). If you have the AP and get a new map to put onto the AP to flash your car, let's say to go from stage 1 to stage 2, you will be able to upload the stage 2 map from an email onto the AP and then reflash the ECU with the new map. It should still have the stock map saved on there. I am not exactly sure if it would keep the stage 1 map on there too, just in case you wanted to go back down if you sold some of the mods off of the car if you are parting it out or something later on down the road.

#10 ·
It all depends on the method used to flash the car. I know at my old shop that if they just did a reflash they would lock it so they or anyone else couldnt mess with the tune. Crappy? Yes, smart? Kind of, keeps business with them and kind of safe IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.