How to Launch? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_JUNKI
How to Launch?

Never seen it in real life besides people peeling out. What's your way of launching your WRX. Post it up in a not so technical way. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
read this thread, this is how i do it-http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9376
post #3 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
What do they mean by "clutch slip" method? Anyone care to explain the whole process in detail?
post #4 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Heh, Ive done this a few times.

Ill explain the way I do it.

While stopped - clutch in - 1st gear - rev to 4500rpms - when you are ready to go, slowly let the clutch out, as the RPMS start to drop, you give it gas so that the RPMs stay at 4500RPM

"clutch slip" means let the clutch out while giving it gas to keep it at the same RPM

You will know when you have done it correctly because your head will slam into the headrest.

I definatley dont think you should be thinking about launching right now.
You just learned how to drive a standard. Launching is complicated and if done wrong it can really damage your tranny or really burn up your clutch.

After I get my clutch (Saturday), I will make a movie of my footwork on the pedals so you can see it.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME
Heh, Ive done this a few times.

Ill explain the way I do it.

While stopped - clutch in - 1st gear - rev to 4500rpms - when you are ready to go, slowly let the clutch out, as the RPMS start to drop, you give it gas so that the RPMs stay at 4500RPM

"clutch slip" means let the clutch out while giving it gas to keep it at the same RPM

You will know when you have done it correctly because your head will slam into the headrest.

I definatley dont think you should be thinking about launching right now.
You just learned how to drive a standard. Launching is complicated and if done wrong it can really damage your tranny or really burn up your clutch.

After I get my clutch (Saturday), I will make a movie of my footwork on the pedals so you can see it.
I can drive normal now. Can go forward with only one small problem being that going into 5th is a pain. I've pretty much got the rev matching down. Still waiting for the car to be broken in before I can really let it out.

A video would be awesome!!! I should take some pics of my car... Its been too neglected.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_JUNKI
Never seen it in real life besides people peeling out. What's your way of launching your WRX. Post it up in a not so technical way. Thanks!!!
Unless you are making a lot of wheel horsepower (400 and up)... you won't be peeling out any time soon on dry ground.

Like WRXforME said,

1) Put car in 1st gear
2) Keep clutch pressed in
3) Rev engine to about 4500-5000rpms (and hold it there)
4) Quickly, but smoothly, let off clutch (and continue to floor gas at this point)
5) Launched! (practice makes perfect)

Warning: Do not repeat too many times. Or else you will have to buy a new clutch like WRXforME.

Xam - 2004 WRX - Cobb Stg II - Ugly Ricer Spoiler
post #7 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
I get up to like 6K RPM's then do the clutch slip going into 2nd and so forth?
post #8 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
No no no... The whole concept of "launching" is to LAUNCH... it's just so you can get yourself going faster... just like a space ship...

... once you're done with first gear just shift like normal. Don't clutch slip... you'll just be burning your clutch and making yourself go slower.

More info (www.dictionary.com)
launch - [Pronunciation Key (lônch, länch)]

1- To throw or propel with force; hurl: launch a spear.
2- To set or thrust (a self-propelled craft or projectile) in motion: launch a rocket; launch a torpedo.
Nautical. To put (a boat) into the water in readiness for use.
3- To set going; initiate: launch a career; launch a business venture.
4 - To introduce to the public or to a market: launched the new perfume with prime-time commercials on the major networks.
5 - To give (someone) a start, as in a career or vocation.

Xam - 2004 WRX - Cobb Stg II - Ugly Ricer Spoiler
post #9 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Junki, you shouldnt be slipping the clutch for 2nd and so on. Launching is just to get you moving from a stop very fast. The rest of the acceleration is normal. You shouldnt still have the clutch in by the time you are ready to shift to second. If that is still how you are driving, your clutch doesnt like you.

Try this, it helped a friend of mine learn something:

Get on flat pavement. Put it in first, release the brake. From here on you are only using 1 foot. SLOWLY let out the clutch, VERY SLOWLY. You will feel the engaugement point of the clutch and it will start moving forward, once you get going, you can let go of the clutch completley. So you will have no feet on any pedals and you will be moving. Slowly moving, but, it shows you that you can take your foot off the clutch after you get moving. Its really easy to do this when your car is cold. Because until it is warm it idles at 1500RPMS, which is way more than enough to get you going without the gas.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
http://media.putfile.com/WRX-launch - This is a semi proper launch. You can hear the engine slightly bog down after he launches, you dont want it to bog down like that.

http://wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8703 - Theres a bunch of pretty cool videos I posted on this thread and you might like to watch some of them. I have a bunch more but they are over 10MB and putfile.com wont let me upload anything bigger than 10mb.
post #11 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Quote:
http://media.putfile.com/WRX-launch - This is a semi proper launch. You can hear the engine slightly bog down after he launches, you dont want it to bog down like that.

http://wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8703 - Theres a bunch of pretty cool videos I posted on this thread and you might like to watch some of them. I have a bunch more but they are over 10MB and putfile.com wont let me upload anything bigger than 10mb.
Damn wish I had some friends that were into cars. All my guys are not into cars. So I doubt I will have much videos of anything.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Did you check them out? I didnt make them if thats what you were asking. Ive only made like 2 myself.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Oh, I wasn't implying that you made the videos yourself but in generally would be nice to have friends that were into cars so I could ask them personally these questions. And yes I checked out the videos. Saw most of them previously when you had posted them before.
post #14 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Get new friends

Just kidding. I have some friends like that, too. What a bunch of weirdos

Maybe its just ### they cant afford a nice car. They work at a low paying place like Home Depot and go to school and they cant afford it. I couldve gotten one of my friends a job where I work but you actually have to do heavy labor, and hes a wuss, he would quit after 2 weeks.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Quote:
Get new friends

Just kidding. I have some friends like that, too. What a bunch of weirdos

Maybe its just ### they cant afford a nice car. They work at a low paying place like Home Depot and go to school and they cant afford it. I couldve gotten one of my friends a job where I work but you actually have to do heavy labor, and hes a wuss, he would quit after 2 weeks.
Well I wouldn't say they work low end jobs. One has a brand new G35 in automatic which is rather boring. We all make pretty decent money from work/poker. Its just that they were never into cars. At least finally one of my friends is getting a Evo IX so that might be fun to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement