how to jack a car! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2007, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
how to jack a car!

i know its a newb question but whats the safe way to jack up the front of your car? i know to jack up the rear you can put the jack on the rear diff (assuming you have a rubber/wood pad so is not to damage diff) but what about the front? i figure its just easier to jack the whole front up at once and then place the jack stands on each side when doing things such as changing oil. thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

chackoc is an unknown
I use rhino ramps to change the oil and its MUCH easier than a jack and jackstands. The ramps are like $20 at any auto parts store and you can have the car up in 30 seconds, including 20 seconds rummaging around in your garage to find them =).

If you do need to jack your front end up though, there's metal plate you can use that sits below the engine/transmission. If memory serves its between the engine and transmission and centered between the two front tires. Its sort of hard to describe, but if you get under there it should be pretty obvious. Its a big metal plate and its the only place around that area that it looks like might be appropriate for jacking. I would still use a block of wood or hockey puck between the jack and plate though as when I was doing my UP install it got a bit scuffed up.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by chackoc
I use rhino ramps to change the oil and its MUCH easier than a jack and jackstands. The ramps are like $20 at any auto parts store and you can have the car up in 30 seconds, including 20 seconds rummaging around in your garage to find them =).

If you do need to jack your front end up though, there's metal plate you can use that sits below the engine/transmission. If memory serves its between the engine and transmission and centered between the two front tires. Its sort of hard to describe, but if you get under there it should be pretty obvious. Its a big metal plate and its the only place around that area that it looks like might be appropriate for jacking.
+1 yup.Its right in back of the oil pan.I highly reccomend using a good set of jackstands if you don't use ramps.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
what defines a good jackstand haha? any ones to stay away from or are they all the same mostly.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
i have both i have a really nice jack and stands as well as the ramps, but i dont like slipping my clutch to get up the ramps...
post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jamo06TR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jamo06TR
Yeah, +1 for rhino ramps. For the rear though, I jack it up at the rear diff, and use the sides for the jack stands, works great for exhaust work, etc, u get the whole car off the ground by about 1.5 ft.

jamopwnsu
post #7 of 9 Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
luckily I have a car lift readily available at any time, it makes exhaust work and oil changes a breeeze.

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Displaced is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775
what defines a good jackstand haha? any ones to stay away from or are they all the same mostly.
Jackstands arent one of those things to skimp on. If they're chrome, and next to the Vatozone parts counter on sale for $3.99, be weary. Go with jacks that are rated for well over the weight of your car.

But then again, getting just about any set of jackstands under a WRX is going to be fun to watch if you havent already just got a set of ramps. With that, ramps it is.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
floorjack high enough to get the jackstands in......