How to clean a turbo? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-15-2014, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxwagon24 is an unknown
How to clean a turbo?

I bought a used vf39 that I will be putting on after I get new injectors, tmic, and bigger fuel pump. I bought it because my stock td04 has a shade under 140,000 miles on it and got this one for only 125 so thought why not. I was wondering if and how I would clean the turbo since the outside and compressor wheel is a bit dirty. I was thinking brake cleaner or something of that nature but I have no clue if it will hurt the turbo in any way. Any firsthand input would be great. Ill add a few pictures so you can see what I mean. [IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You can try brake cleaner or gasoline on a brush (lightly). Just make sure you don't touch the compressor or turbine blades or get any fluid remotely close to the interior of the turbo.
#3 Old 05-16-2014, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
I am not saying this is the correct way to go about this but I removed the compressor housing to clean it. I cleaned it with a wire brush and wiped it down with brake cleaner. Let it sit over night to fully dry and then put the compressor housing back on. This was on my 99 eclipse GST. I drove the car for 45k after with no issues before I sold the car.

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#4 Old 05-16-2014, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxwagon24 is an unknown
Im pretty new to turbo cars so I don't think I feel comfortable taking it apart to clean it. Probably will just use some brake cleaner to clean up the exterior and what not. Thanks for the tips!