how can i tell if my car has a tune? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dunsparth is an unknown
how can i tell if my car has a tune?

Hello everyone new to the forums and the Subaru world ive always wanted a subaru since i was a kid so i saved up and got a 02 wrx from a dealership for 10k with 130k on the odometer the car has a full intake and turbo back exhaust the car runs fine and strong no problems i was just wondering if there was a way i could find out if i had a tune on my car im going to save up for a cobb acessport because i eventually want to rebuild the motor or go for a hybrid build but that will be in a later post once i read around the forums thanks for any feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 02:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
On the 02 I think there was a connection you had to make on the master harness near the ECU in order to access the reflashing mode on the ECU. You can always look for that connection near the passenger side floor. I don't think the jumper had to stay in place for the ECU to hold the tune but that doesnt mean people always remove them after their tune.

You can always take it to a respectable tuner and have them do a really conservative pull on their dyno just to be safe. In fact if its got an intake and a turboback it might be worth the money to have it tuned anyway. If ther previous owner had it tuned already then they wont be making a ton of changes but worst case scenerio if it didnt have a tune your tuner could extract some nice power out of the turboback.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

dunsparth is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
On the 02 I think there was a connection you had to make on the master harness near the ECU in order to access the reflashing mode on the ECU. You can always look for that connection near the passenger side floor. I don't think the jumper had to stay in place for the ECU to hold the tune but that doesnt mean people always remove them after their tune.

You can always take it to a respectable tuner and have them do a really conservative pull on their dyno just to be safe. In fact if its got an intake and a turboback it might be worth the money to have it tuned anyway. If ther previous owner had it tuned already then they wont be making a ton of changes but worst case scenerio if it didnt have a tune your tuner could extract some nice power out of the turboback.
i know of a tuner local too me just havent brought the car there ever, but i will probably drop over there now with this information.
thanks ive never thought about that.