How big a difference? Stock WRX vs. STI - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i would take a new 97 bmw m3 over an sti.

sorry. overall performance and handling wise, sube does not have shit. unless your out rallying the 2. then i would take the sti. but for every day street driving and auto cross, m3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
cost wise is it better w sti tho?
#33 Old 08-01-2006, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker97
cost wise is it better w sti tho?
Cost wise, I'd say yes. It would cost like $15,000 on top of the price of a WRX to make it as good as an STi. Might as well spend the money if you wanna build a race car, and get the STi.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#34 Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
the wrx is absolutly the more cost effective. replacement parts on some bmw's is just silly.
#35 Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
The stock STi's at autocross school were turning out times 3-4 seconds faster than the WRX wagons, and putting down the fastest times of the day. Definitely worth it, IMO. I always knew the STi's were better, but seeing them carve up the course while at one of the stations better than any other cars.

Someday get a JDM STi wagon engine/transmission/drivetrain..... someday............
#36 Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores
The stock STi's at autocross school were turning out times 3-4 seconds faster than the WRX wagons, and putting down the fastest times of the day. Definitely worth it, IMO. I always knew the STi's were better, but seeing them carve up the course while at one of the stations better than any other cars.

Someday get a JDM STi wagon engine/transmission/drivetrain..... someday............
where the same people driving the wagons driving sti's? or diferent people.
#37 Old 08-07-2006, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaul
Thanks for all the comments, both pro and con.

For those of you who have STIs -- are they tiring to drive on long roadtrips? Or not that much more than a regular WRX?
I have taken my STi on a couple of trips, and I actually tire less in the STi than I did in my Outback wagons in the past. I think it's because the seat hugs you better. I'm dis-abled with back injuries, so I tire out quicker than I used to, but on the two trips I've taken, I arrived feeling better than I would have in anything else I've owned lately.

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#38 Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Mr. Flat 4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaul
Thanks for all the advice -- wound up getting the STi. In blue, because it was just too cool. Can't wait to get it out of the break-in period... ;-)
Congrats on your purchase!

For break-in I just followed the owner manual. Set your "shift buzzer" to 4000 rpms. For the 1st 1000 miles don't go too hard on the gas and don't take it above 4000 rpms.

I've heard a lot of stories about improper break-in procedure leading to oil consumption. I guess I did it right because I don't have any issues with oil consumption.

Good luck with your STi/STI. You will LOVE it (if you don't already...).
#39 Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 AM

Mr. Flat 4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezless
Does anyone not really like the STi? My brother had one for a while, and although I was impressed with the car overall a few things bugged me about it. I think the wing and hood scoop are a little big and I don't like the 2.5L motor. Yes, I know it makes more power/torque but I don't like how it strays from Subaru's it's roots. From what I understand you cannot have a 2.5L engine in rally racing, so why would they put one in a Impreza world rally experimental. I'm not 100% on the rally engine restrictions, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I still cannot understand blue seats in a black car.
I was looking at black/gold STis in 2005 before I purchased mine and this is one of the main reasons I passed on it. I couldn't understand the blue seats in the black car, especially when they matched with absolutely NOTHING.

I was pretty much set on blue/gold anyway just because I love the color combo, and with that car the blue interior does look nice. It's the same with the other colors. I just don't get it.....Why not seat inserts that match with the outer body?

As for straying from roots, it didn't bother me at all. I bought the car because I loved it, not because of what was under the hood. Also, the reason for the 2.5L in the North American model was because it made more low-end torque, making it easier to drive in our daily commutes. The overseas EJ20 was a bit more peaky, I believe.
#40 Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
No offense there Mr Flat 4, but during break in time it is actually good to drive it hard. Stay off the redline, but give her.... Also change oil frequently.
Basically drive it like you would normally.... The easy approach to break in has been proven to not allow proper set in of the seals etc... Damn why can't I find that link to the article ...

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#41 Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
No offense there Mr Flat 4, but during break in time it is actually good to drive it hard. Stay off the redline, but give her.... Also change oil frequently.
Basically drive it like you would normally.... The easy approach to break in has been proven to not allow proper set in of the seals etc... Damn why can't I find that link to the article ...
i dont know but it was a good article.
#42 Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM

Mr. Flat 4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuddha
I just followed the owner manual. I figured it's the best thing to do. It's coming straight from the word of the manufacturer, and I figure they know their product best.

I won't say that I babied the car at all times during break-in, because I did accelerate briskly at times because obviously the seals need to get seated, but I never took it above 4000 rpms. After the initial 1000 miles I started to take it past the 4000 rpms slowly, and then just eventually let all out.

I've seen numerous articles about the "proper" way to break a new vehicle in, and I'm not saying that they're wrong because there are some very logical points that are made, so I guess everyone's opinion or method of the "correct" way to break a vehicle in is different. I just found the factory's recommendation to be the best one for me to follow.
#43 Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx.evokllr is an unknown
How can you argue the STI? It's incredibly fast out of the box, comes with better brakes, wheels, 6 spd more durable tranny, DCCD, better suspension. It's an upgraded wrx and i personally think you're getting your moneys worth with that car, i just couldn't afford one.
#44 Old 08-09-2006, 06:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Flat 4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx.evokllr
How can you argue the STI? It's incredibly fast out of the box, comes with better brakes, wheels, 6 spd more durable tranny, DCCD, better suspension. It's an upgraded wrx and i personally think you're getting your moneys worth with that car, i just couldn't afford one.
If people really wanted to get really technical about the mechanicals, it could be argued that the STi and the WRX really don't have much in common up until the 2006 model year aside from some body panels and interior trim....

1. Different motors

2. Different suspension

3. Stiffer structural bracing

4. Different wheels/tires

5. Different AWD system

6. Different transmission

7. Different steering rack (I'm pretty sure.....)

8. Different intercooler (w/sprayer)

9. Different braking system

I was going to purchase a standard WRX to modify but after I compiled a list of everything I wanted to do, I found that the price would offset any cash I would've saved over the STi. At that point I figured that I'd spend that much money to get up to the performance of the STi, and then I'd have to spend MORE money to surpass it. By purchasing the STi I got my "upgrades" and a warranty to go with them!
#45 Old 08-09-2006, 07:15 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
Flat 4 you are right, but some of us like to tinker, mod, play around, and frankly i like the fact that ppl go wtf i just got smoked by a WRX. That includes STI owners. Its a matter of preference.
Do I like the STI hell ya. But it isn't quite the sleeper that my WRX is.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye