Help With Turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

yankeeman5 is an unknown
Help With Turbo

Hey guys i need some info on my 2005 wrx. It has perrin intercooler piping. factory downpipe. with a weld on 3'' exhaust. i have an aftermarket boost controller. so most of the time it reads 6 lbs. But then sometimes it boosts 11 or so. Does anyone know what this could be. I am thinking it might be the wastegate. but if anyone has other info please let me know thanks
levi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well it's only running wastegate spring pressure, that's why it's only running 6-11psi, which also means your probably getting boost creep as well, or your gauge is wrong. No offense, but there is a proven upgrade path to these cars and an aftermarket BCS and turning up the boost isn't the best place to start.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 07-29-2011, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Electric or manual boost controller?

Mike
#4 Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
There is a difference in a Boost Controller and a Boost Control Solenoid. Normally when one says just controller. They are referring to a Manual Boost Controller. Which is bad/dumb/lazy (pick a adjective) to tune with one. The car comes with a electronic boost control solenoid and upgrading that with a 3 port BCS (READ NEEDS PRO TUNED unless you are good with OS) is a good thing to do once you are stage 2 or higher.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Oh yea that makes sense. My bad. I was going to say if you install the hoses of a EBCS improperly then you might only make wastegate pressure. Forget I said anything.

Mike
#6 Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarnham View Post
Oh yea that makes sense. My bad. I was going to say if you install the hoses of a EBCS improperly then you might only make wastegate pressure. Forget I said anything.
You are correct that if installed wrong then it would only make wastegate pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic
There is a difference in a Boost Controller and a Boost Control Solenoid. Normally when one says just controller. They are referring to a Manual Boost Controller. Which is bad/dumb/lazy (pick a adjective) to tune with one. The car comes with a electronic boost control solenoid and upgrading that with a 3 port BCS (READ NEEDS PRO TUNED unless you are good with OS) is a good thing to do once you are stage 2 or higher.
But he isn't a stage 2 yet, so why bother with a different form of boost control, be it maunal or otherwise?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
That was my point Keith. MBC is just a bad idea in my opinion.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

yankeeman5 is an unknown
Hey guys I am sorry. I don't have a boost controller. Its an aftermarket boost gauge. My bad.