Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Help With Turbo (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/help-turbo-31114/)

yankeeman5 07-29-2011 10:42 AM

Help With Turbo

Hey guys i need some info on my 2005 wrx. It has perrin intercooler piping. factory downpipe. with a weld on 3'' exhaust. i have an aftermarket boost controller. so most of the time it reads 6 lbs. But then sometimes it boosts 11 or so. Does anyone know what this could be. I am thinking it might be the wastegate. but if anyone has other info please let me know thanks
levi

psinuse 07-29-2011 03:42 PM

Well it's only running wastegate spring pressure, that's why it's only running 6-11psi, which also means your probably getting boost creep as well, or your gauge is wrong. No offense, but there is a proven upgrade path to these cars and an aftermarket BCS and turning up the boost isn't the best place to start.

mfarnham 07-29-2011 06:26 PM

Electric or manual boost controller?

turmic 07-29-2011 06:54 PM

There is a difference in a Boost Controller and a Boost Control Solenoid. Normally when one says just controller. They are referring to a Manual Boost Controller. Which is bad/dumb/lazy (pick a adjective) to tune with one. The car comes with a electronic boost control solenoid and upgrading that with a 3 port BCS ([B]READ NEEDS PRO TUNED [/B]unless you are good with OS) is a good thing to do once you are stage 2 or higher.

mfarnham 07-29-2011 08:07 PM

Oh yea that makes sense. My bad. I was going to say if you install the hoses of a EBCS improperly then you might only make wastegate pressure. Forget I said anything.

psinuse 07-29-2011 08:14 PM

[quote=mfarnham;265213]Oh yea that makes sense. My bad. I was going to say if you install the hoses of a EBCS improperly then you might only make wastegate pressure. Forget I said anything.[/quote]

You are correct that if installed wrong then it would only make wastegate pressure.

[quote=turmic ]There is a difference in a Boost Controller and a Boost Control Solenoid. Normally when one says just controller. They are referring to a Manual Boost Controller. Which is bad/dumb/lazy (pick a adjective) to tune with one. The car comes with a electronic boost control solenoid and upgrading that with a 3 port BCS (READ NEEDS PRO TUNED unless you are good with OS) is a good thing to do once you are stage 2 or higher. [/quote]

But he isn't a stage 2 yet, so why bother with a different form of boost control, be it maunal or otherwise? :D

turmic 07-30-2011 05:50 PM

That was my point Keith. MBC is just a bad idea in my opinion.

yankeeman5 08-01-2011 12:58 PM

Hey guys I am sorry. I don't have a boost controller. Its an aftermarket boost gauge. My bad.