Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help center diff

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  wooddog395 
#1 ·
so a wile ago my centers diff started making the common humming noise same sound more pitched with speed in every gear including coasting. Now when I turn just over half it stutters and pops like it is binding. My question is what parts list should I need to fix this issue I found the Subaru center diff assembly but it looks like it is just bearings and 2 gear sets nothing with rebuilding or replacing viscous coupler. Any help would be great. Car is 2003 wrx sedan 5 speed manual no real mods.

#2 ·
The center diff part # is 38913AA100 which supersedes to 38913AA102. I'm not sure if it includes the viscous coupling or not. I cant seem to find a viscous coupling part # just with a quick search. Are you using the same size tires all around and replacing all 4 at the same time when needed? I only ask because that is a common cause for center diff failure.

#3 ·
I just bought the car but all tires present are same size with equal air pressure. also it only binds when hot after about 15 min driving. correct me if im wrong but is the viscous coupler part of the center diff it seems like it to me. also does anybody have link to somebody doing this job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.