Help with Boost gauge install - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Good news advance auto shows they are in stock at my local store! I will pick some up tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what size of mini fuses I will need to buy with them? Or do the add a fuse kits have them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
I would also like to get a little bit of vacuum hose so I don't have to cut the OEM one. Anyone know what the inside diameter is?
post #18 of 29 Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14WRX View Post
I would also like to get a little bit of vacuum hose so I don't have to cut the OEM one. Anyone know what the inside diameter is?
I know this may sound crazy, but you could pop off the hose on the BPV and measure the ID with a ruler or calipers. The hose pulls right off. If you don't have either of those then you could go to advance buy a caliper, measure it, then go back inside and buy a hose. Then you will always have a caliper to measure other items with. Crazy idea, I know...

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #19 of 29 Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
I know this may sound crazy, but you could pop off the hose on the BPV and measure the ID with a ruler or calipers. The hose pulls right off. If you don't have either of those then you could go to advance buy a caliper, measure it, then go back inside and buy a hose. Then you will always have a caliper to measure other items with. Crazy idea, I know...
That does sound too crazy haha just kidding. I guess that's always an option too
post #20 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
One more question where does the brass fitting go? I get where you put the T but how much further away to you put that brass fittting? The instructions that came with it are horrible.
post #21 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If you are talking about the sensor, just put it somewhere out of the way that you can secure it nice and tight, preferably away from vibration. Keep it close as possible to where you tied it into the other vac hose.
the RIOT act and 14WRX like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #22 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Help with Boost gauge install

Yeah you can buy those at any auto parts store OP. That's what I used also and installed mine just like Brockton did. Just match the fuse size (number) you're using to tap into.

There's some notes and pics of how I installed mine in my build thread I attached. Not exactly a write up as that's not for me, but still some good info.

theRIOTact's build thread!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
14WRX likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #23 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I think it's 5 or 6 mm, get the fuel line stuff if you haven't bought it yet, it's more durable and won't vacuum shut.
14WRX likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #24 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14WRX View Post
Good news advance auto shows they are in stock at my local store! I will pick some up tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what size of mini fuses I will need to buy with them? Or do the add a fuse kits have them?
Its the same size as the ones under your dash, I believe the 12v acc fuse is a 15 amp.

You should have an extra in the fuse box under the hood, you can take it in with you to make sure you get the right add-a-fuse, they make them in a couple different fuse sizes, make sure the prongs are going to match up.

When you get it, you need to remove the 12v acc fuse from your fuse panel, plug the add a fuse into the slot where you just removed the fuse from, and plug the fuse you pulled out into the add a fuse, then put another fuse of the same amperage into the second slot on the add a fuse.

Its pretty simple.
14WRX likes this.
post #25 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Thanks for all the help and input! It really went smooth and was a lot easier than I worked it up to be. I dreaded pulling peices out especially when it came to pulling out part of the side skirt haha, but it all went very well! We just took our time and made sure everything was done right. The gauge only needed to be wired to the ACC for power and grounded. I used the add a fuse and that worked out great. The ACC fuse was 7.5A so I kept that one in there and then used a 10A for the boost gauge. The AEM has its own illumination dimmer sensor built in so that is something nice about it. The SMY Dual Cluster fit great and and really matches like it came from the factory.

I have the pod cover for the other side in mail and should be here monday!

post #26 of 29 Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Looks good, glad it went smooth. Every since I found out about the Add-A-Fuses I preach about them. Wonderful product.
post #27 of 29 Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Thanks yeah I will def pass on the word about them too!
post #28 of 29 Old 01-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Just a side note about these aem boost gauges. It drives me crazy on mine that there is no - before the number when in vacuum or a + when in boost. I don't need both but one or the other would be nice. Just thought I would point this out if anyone is reading this and considering one. Other than that great gauge. Glad your install went smooth.
the RIOT act likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #29 of 29 Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
Yes I agree! It would be nice if it had the negative sign too. That seems to be the only thing I wish it had. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement