Head unit options. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

calisonic is an unknown
Head unit options.

Hi there. looking to up the sound system in my 2011 rex, it has the navigation unit, which has no balls however I don't want to trash the thing and I do want some sort of navigation up there, and I will be adding a sub.
I was wondering if:
1. Is there a market for the factory navigation head units to the point where I could sell mine ?

2. Could someone advise on a good navi head unit that is responsive. My biggest irk about most of these is that they have so much lag in the interface, it drives me nuts. Also must have headphone jack style aux input.

If there's no market for them then I will just add the sub for now, the factory unit doesn't have terrible quality, just can't hear it on the interstate (90% of my driving).

Edit: Also, will a regular double din fit in there or will I need another bezel or mounting kit, thanks!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
9mm
WRXtuners Member

9mm is an unknown
yes, there is a market for it. i'll give you $400.

kidding. while i don't have NAV, i wanted the OEM look and to keep my steering wheel controls and OEM blue tooth, aux USB jacks. so i added a digital sound processor, a 5-channel amp and a 12"sub.

i am very happy with the outcome. the DSP's are a royale pain in the @$$ to wire up though. you've been warned.

just poke around audio forums of your not tech-saavy. i'd been out of the game for a 8 years and then i got my Rex. holy crap! i didn't make it a week before ordering all the stuff.

YMMV.

even though i went the DSP / AMP route, most will advise just to change the HU first for a huge improvement in sound.
#3 Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

calisonic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
yes, there is a market for it. i'll give you $400.

kidding. while i don't have NAV, i wanted the OEM look and to keep my steering wheel controls and OEM blue tooth, aux USB jacks. so i added a digital sound processor, a 5-channel amp and a 12"sub.

i am very happy with the outcome. the DSP's are a royale pain in the @$$ to wire up though. you've been warned.

just poke around audio forums of your not tech-saavy. i'd been out of the game for a 8 years and then i got my Rex. holy crap! i didn't make it a week before ordering all the stuff.

YMMV.

even though i went the DSP / AMP route, most will advise just to change the HU first for a huge improvement in sound.
I like your idea, I already put my old higher end 6.5"s in the doors but there is nothing to push them lol. What exactly would a dsp do for me? Like i said I'm not terribly disappointed in the quality, just the volume, and the dsp sounds expensive.
#4 Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM
9mm
WRXtuners Member

9mm is an unknown
Factory Sound Processors at Crutchfield.com

DSP's / EQ's / Line out converters ect. vary in prices. i have the Audio Control Lci-6

it takes the signal from for 4 channels coming out of the HU and converts them to pre-outs to connect an amplifier. they flatten out any built in EQs (which my HU has) put out a nice clean signal.

**again, they are a bitch to wire up. but it can be done. i did mine in like 8hrs of work from start to finish**

because i have extreme OCD, i did NOT splice ONE single wire in my car.

check out ae64.com and see. he makes all kinds of harness for our cars and if you e-mail him with what you want to do, he will get you the right harness.

long story short, you are putting a harness in-between your HU and Car's receptor that has the power, ground, remote, illumination and audio signals to do as you please. those have to go out to your DSP, EQ, Line out converter in order to power it on / off with the radio.

from the DSP... goes to your AMP via RCAs... then your amps audio signal wires outputs have go BACK, yes BACK to harness in-between your HU and Car harness.

*off course, your amp needs a solid power signal from the Battery and a solid ground.

make sense? like i said, it's a royal pain, but if you lay it out, it can be done. Oh, and you have to pull out both front seats, center console and carpet to do it clean? .

i have a few peeps in my area that are baffled and want to do a build party.

again, this is just one way. cost-wise, i set it all up for $750. Kenwood Amp, Boston Acoustics G3, Audio Control LCi6 the amp wiring kit was free with my amp and then i just got a bunch of speaker wire....

check out this thread:

2012 Impreza stereo replacement - NASIOC
#5 Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Head unit options.

What's your budget OP? If you have $650 to spend Clarion NX702 is ALL you'll ever need! Sickest HU I've ever owned. Sold mine along with my 350z but 110% will be buying one again. It makes the factory GPS look like something off eBay and has ZERO lag!
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1360941185.789059.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  82.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1360941210.073418.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  31.7 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#6 Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

calisonic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
What's your budget OP? If you have $650 to spend Clarion NX702 is ALL you'll ever need! Sickest HU I've ever owned. Sold mine along with my 350z but 110% will be buying one again. It makes the factory GPS look like something off eBay and has ZERO lag!
Attachment 6062
Attachment 6063

First off, you guys are very helpful, thank you!
My budget, well that depends largely on what I can get for the factory head unit, any ideas?
That head unit looks fantastic, I saw a review on youtube for it. Only 1.5 more requirements, it must dim! Preferably with the factory dimmer switch, and .5, it should tie into at least the steering wheel volume controls. Is that something this does?

And thanks 9mm fro a link to a harness supplier, that's priceless.
#7 Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Head unit options.

Yeah there's a harness for the steering wheel. It's sold separately but def available. And I'm not sure what the stock GPS would go for. I'd search on the classifieds of NASIOC to see what others have posted.

#8 Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
9mm
WRXtuners Member

9mm is an unknown
OP I have seen them go on eBay and NASIOC from $500+

usually around $1k since they cost $1800+ new from any online source. check for yourself.

eventually i'd like to add a good NAV unit, but it's not in my budget right now. OEM would be absolute TA TA's due to all the wires / harnesses i have behind my HU already.
#9 Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

calisonic is an unknown
Quote:
Attachment 6062
Attachment 6063

I'm wondering if the nx501 or 602 are a better deal. Any experience with those?
Looks like its just a slightly smaller screen and no HD radio, which I'm not to concerned with.
As well as a good source to buy.

Thanks!
#10 Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Head unit options.

Electric Mart on Amazon has em for $628. That's def the best price on the net as I've already scoured for weeks and planning to get my new one ASAP lol...maybe with tax returns

Any harness' needed go to eBay as they'll def be cheaper there than anywhere. The steering wheel and iPhone/iPod harness' are a must!

Then just enjoy LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

calisonic is an unknown
Quote:
Electric Mart on Amazon has em for $628. That's def the best price on the net as I've already scoured for weeks and planning to get my new one ASAP lol...maybe with tax returns

Any harness' needed go to eBay as they'll def be cheaper there than anywhere. The steering wheel and iPhone/iPod harness' are a must!

Then just enjoy LOL

I did an edit there, check out the 501 ad 602 also, they seem to be about the same, but cheaper.
Looks like the 501 has a differient GUI, so it may be slower, the 602 looks the same, just smaller but adds the from aux in.

Edit, found this nice write up
http://www.ecoustics.com/products/cl...02-navigation/
#12 Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Head unit options.

Correct. 602 is def the same UI but smaller display and push buttons on the left column. I'm not a fan of just button on one side of a HU...looks funny IMO and a larger screen is always nice. But if you wanna save a couple $ and still have a nasty UI the 602 is def a good pick too.

#13 Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Head unit options.

See idk that just looks odd to me lol! It's def a matter of opinion though and nothing of quality. The aux on front and not having to buy a harness is also nice in a way, but it certainly looks a lot cleaner when your aux wire come from somewhere near your center console rather then draping down your whole dashboard. Again, just a matter of opinion. Don't let me sh!t on your dreams lol!

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1361634403.045261.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  36.6 KB

#14 Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

calisonic is an unknown
I agree, but the extra price just doesn't do it for me.

I'm asking $1000 for the OEM one, if anyone is interested.

Also, I can't find the 702 on amazon at that price, could you provide a link ?
#15 Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Head unit options.

No pc just my iPhone. Can't do a link I don't think :/